Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Energy drains to help others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  8:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

After the retreat, I've been riding the warm wavy energy in meditation. And the resistance I found from outside dissolved as the inner obstruction dissolved. But this afternoon I had a weird experience I never went through before. And I'd like to ask you to shed light on it.

I have a friend who's been chronically depressed, and at one point attempted suicide. He has been resisting my suggestion for him to meditate. But this afternoon he called to want to meditate with me; apparently suffering. When first seeing him, my third eye started to almost stick out of my head forward. During the meditation, I felt huge amount of energy went away from my heart chakra to his direction. And even though I was in silence, there's this strange feeling of being drained. After meditation, I tried insight dialogue with him. And felt some strange tension in my head.

The question is: does meditating with depressed or sick people drain our energy away? (Sorry, selfish question) What can we do if this kind of help is too much? Self pace on helping others, too?

Any input would be appreciated!

Phil

Edited by - Pheel on Oct 26 2010 9:11:08 PM

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  11:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
drains mine.

only way to stop it from what i understand is total and complete 24/7 Silent or Unity consciousness.

Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  01:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Philaboston
During the meditation, I felt huge amount of energy went away from my heart chakra to his direction. And even though I was in silence, there's this strange feeling of being drained.

And how did your friend feel after this?

You can either create a Spiritual Shield around you or generate more energy simultaneously (by praying) if you can't take the drain/tension.

Make your Heart stronger.

Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  05:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma
Make your Heart stronger.

^This^ Also - keep your heart open.

I work as a holistic health practitioner, mainly using energy therapies. I also teach and practice reiki. One of the things that might be helpful for you to consider is that when you are sharing an energy space with another person, what you perceive as an energy drain, is not that - what you are feeling is an energy movement. Energy isn't accumulated in you and someone takes it away from you, it is constantly moving. The supply of energy is limitless, if you let it through.

It also may be helpful for you to remember to mentally disconnect energetically when you leave that person's environment.

What you did for your friend was lovely.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  06:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil:

When coming off a retreat, it is common to feel somewhat invincible with all that inner silence, and we might be tempted to jump back into activity with both feet, including doing some things we might have hesitated to do before. Nothing wrong with this. We can do more. But it is suggested to allow a few days for the results of a retreat to settle in, easing back into activity gradually, if possible. There can be a bit of tenderness there, and it will stabilize as we integrate new levels of inner silence into our daily activity.

In other words, always self-pace.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  08:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to respond to this question. I have been out taking son to school, getting coffee, and thinking about this opening satsang that Philaboston has presented.

Inside myself, reading it was very hurful to "me".

I noticed that I am feeling anger or what I refer to as anger inside me and now as I post I am crying.

Would I want to be an energy drain on people? I think that I would offer up a "no". Do I feel like I am an energy drain on other people? yes. Participating here at this forum and this may be the clincher....maybe it does not work for me. I feel that it is important to continue engaging and growing in areas where I am not comfortable.
Philiboston is riding his warm energy wave...and somehow I don['t think that life is always gonna offer up this warm wave....
I am warm waving you Philoboston, yet, I am deep in "my own mire"
Maybe it is best to discontinue reading at this forum and sharing OR draining others.

Maybe it is me draining you. If I know that I am way OFF balance Philoboston, would it be BETTER for you if I took time away from here?

Would I make it more comfortable for you if I never presented myself here to make my life a less stressful place? Am I allowed to say that there are times that I think about blowing my head off. I am not suicidal but I do think of a way out, at times.

I don't practise meditation. I have a very active mind. I am pretty much angry alot... I feel thoughts are VERY conflicting, I feel very Unaccepted whether with myself or thru others. And I know that I am not a purified person..

Further more, how is it that you are clear that the drain is coming from him?

I would like the truth from you. If I am like the person you are refering to-draining....is it better that I not participate here?

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  10:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage:

I don't recall anyone raising this issue in your case, though you are obviously sensitive about it. That's a good thing. "Awareness" will solve everything for us in time. As we know, meditation increases awareness.

Which brings me to ask, what are you doing here if you are not meditating? This is a forum about practices and experiences.

You are welcome to hang around, but what is the point if you are not into what is going on here? An ounce of real practice is worth ten pounds of talk. Try and see.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well- after many years of reading here, I have finally bought some books(ayp)....and I am now working at meditation.
I think that I have been interested but was trying to keep my nose above water and drown myself at the same time.

I was tired of reading about meditation 2x daily,
and tired of seeing the word self pace....
but now, now I can use it inside to myself...as some sort of psychological reasoning....
self pacing is a great tool and it took me along time to understand which way to self pace.

I like reading here most of the time and enjoy the variety of suggestions, sotries, music, and seeing what goes on for me as the days go by.

also, I am sure that individuals that meditate have a better grip on peace and relaxation and inner silence, and I want to practise that.

I am not trying to lie to get it or steel it...I want to hang out with it and find that in me.

It is not so easy to avoid impulses...like I want a rootbeer and a hotdog now! and reach for a handful of wallnuts and tea and water..after YEARS of pepsi or coke....
and this transfers over to NOT paying attention OR paying too much attention to sensation/scenery.
thanks for the ok to us the ayp forum.
sagebrush-
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you can't meditate twice a day do it once. If you are overly impulsive then just try to create a daily habit starting small. Meditation is the simplest thing in the world, nothing to fear, nothing to avoid. That is just more mental agitation creating resistance. Just do it at your own pace but DO IT! Otherwise reading about it and engaging in dialog about it is pretty much a waste of time. Just practice a little bit each day.
Nuff said....
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am working on it.

thanks for the encouragement.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage890

I am working on it.

thanks for the encouragement.

hey sage, it sounds like you've got a lot of conflict in your life.

i would suggest the old adage: get busy livin' or get busy dyin' ( and i mean that figuratively dude!)

make the decision to get your life in order. start small. first step is making some time everyday to meditate. even if it's difficult, or it doesn't seem to work, just do it. start slow. every little effort you make will show in time.

just decide right now whether you want to continue to feel the same way you have been feeling... or if you want a change.

baby steps man, baby steps
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  3:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Sage,

What you said sounds very similar with the situation my friend is in: trapping in the mind filed, wasting energy struggling over which is right, which is wrong, never getting to the source. Rumi says Beyong the ideas of wrong doing and right doing, there is a field." Come to this field by meditating daily! Don't resist. Resisting will bring only more suffering.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  3:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the reply and support!

My friend felt much better after. He said he's in a state of no feeling, detached. He also honestly admitted the fear that drives him to suffering. He called to thank me last night.

For me, I've been feeling gradually refilled, especially by reconnecting with the retreat members with whom I have such a connection. Actually last night I experienced automatic yoga, with wavy energy going through the torso. In the morning session I found the tensions were gone and there is a clearing in my chest. seems to be a further opening.

Amoux, I totally agree with you. If the mind does not close the channel off, the more you give, the more you will get. This is opening and strengthening. But I shouldn't bring it on right after the retreat. I definitely need some time to integrate both the silence and energy. Thank you Yogani, for directing me to this transformative retreat! Thank you all the retreat members for refilling me with energy! And, Self-pacing is one of the most important ayp practices that I need to improve!

Phil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000