Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 TOBACCO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  4:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
OK we've had the coffee and the alcohol now lets get on to tobacco.
I'm sure there must be people on this forum who still sneak the occasional smoke even if there not addicted, if thats possible.

We all know the terrible health effects but what about the effects on meditation?

I used to be a smoker but I'm all right now how about the rest of you?

RICHARD

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 8:59:04 PM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A fag a year! Can't live without it. Doesn't seem to affect meditation much. :)
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  7:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
every so often. It actually seems easier on my system than alcohol or caffeine, but it makes me stinky though... so it could never be a daily thing.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  7:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy an occasional good quality cigar and while I don't combine it with my usual practice it does seem to help put me in a contemplative mood. By occasional I mean about once a month. It can be one in two weeks or I could not have one for two months. I never found it addictive in teh slightest. The addiction must come more from inhaling cigarettes and the frequency of cigarette smoking
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  8:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
About once a year my guy friends will break out some good cigars. I don't smoke, but it's fun to not inhale (you're not supposed to anyway) and enjoy the comraderie. Makes you feel like you're in another time. We usually stay up all night in those cases, so I haven't meditated afterwords, but the next day it's OK.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  11:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I started smoking and drinking heavily when I was 12. Now I am 23. About nine months ago or so I truly found God and the smoking habit was erased. Same goes for drinking and smoking weed.

We do yoga practices in order to purify our body and mind to become truly united with God. Smoking and drinking goes directly against that, so for me the choice was simple, or in other words, my burning faith left me no choice but to quit all my bad habits.

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm smoking and drinking, which are kind of nightmares, then I wake up and feel relief that it was only a dream..

I will never put another cigarette into my mouth ever again, not in this life at least! :)

Edited by - Chiron on Feb 12 2006 11:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000