Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The use of mala's and gems as Upaya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  9:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
Hello Folks,
.... wondered if any of you are using Rudraksa, malas, gem stones , pearl, etc. for the improvement either of actions, meditation, and the like.

Are you using these Upaya or Upaye commonly known as 'antidotes' , also understood as 'a skillful means, technique' - and can you report or recognize any benefits?

Rudraksa are pointed out in the Shiva Purana and their use (Rudraksha's origin as Lord Shiva's tears); Many books e.g. Brihat Parasara Hora Sastra, point to gems to help various afflictions. Anyone care to comment on their use and perhaps their efficacy?

I have some thoughts on this but will await if anyone are using gems, mala, kavach, etc and may have an opinion.

Peace,

Frank In San Diego

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  11:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wear a five mukhi rudraksha mala (108 beads) around my neck for the majority of my waking hours, but I honestly couldn't tell you if it "works", so to speak. Worth a shot though, eh? :)

Great topic, and I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  12:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is the benefit from these things comes from "knowledge" of them. In other words, when one goes into silence and puts his attention on one of these objects, and is able to "become one" with it, the object will reveal its secrets to that person. After gaining that knowledge, the object would become useful for healing, or whatever.
I think a lot of people use these things in a superstitious way, thinking they are somehow "magic" without having knowledge of them.
of course this is sort of the hard way of doing it, as the knowledge is within ourselves, and one could become distracted from the path.

I think when we reach a certain level of enlightenment we will have this kind of knowledge without having to concentrate on any one object, but will just know what material is useful for what action.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Frank,
I use the mala for anhustan when i have time.This consists of 1 round of Butta shuddi mantra and 21 rounds of gurumantra. This takes about 2 hrs providing I keep my eyes open or else I drift into deep meditation. The effects of theis can be felt in the energy produced. This is standard practice in the KMY system.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Ether - although there are objective properties which stones and bones are said to carry, it's unlikely that their power will manifest without our 'consent' or knowledge. I have some jewelry that's been in my family for generations which I wear under my clothing when I attend an important event. It's more of an emotional connection than anything else; I simply feel connected to my female lineage, which is empowering indeed. That's the point, right? To be empowered, which can only happen internally.
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  5:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

My opinion is the benefit from these things comes from "knowledge" of them. In other words, when one goes into silence and puts his attention on one of these objects, and is able to "become one" with it, the object will reveal its secrets

Hello and thank you for sharing your info.
I find Ether's (akasha ) post extremely insightful. I think max benefit comes when one is unfrazzled (moksha) so the benefits are most effective and less challenged with all the stuff that goes on in one's mind-body activities, so will have to wait a bit to prove this out. Perhaps while await this new state of Kavalya I can try samyama on this and see if it bears fruit.

That said I too have several mala that I notice differences now when I do NOT wear it. I have been fortunate to receive a tulsi mala from a yogini and a kavacham from a yogi. I wear both.

I also have Rudraksa - yet I cannot discern the benefits - that does not preclude they are not working at a level I cannot perceive, yet there is no subjective experience to base any experience on!(FYI even Sri Ram is said to have worn rudraksha)

I also believe these tools are of use, and need to be properly 'installed' as they say - energized before use. I also avoid showing them let alone having people touch them as this I believe it's a very personal thing and trying to explain, well you know...

agnir satyam rtam brhat
Frank in San-Diego
Go to Top of Page

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  02:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great theory Etherfish. I hadn't thought of it that way before, but it makes perfect sense.

One thing I left out in my original post, is the great bhakti value that these items posess by simply realizing you are wearing/holding them. I started wearing my rudraksha mala shortly after beginning my practices and for the first few months, it served as a sort of "reminder" of my practices/involvement while going about my everyday life. Although my life is much more focused around my practices these days, I still have those moments quite often, often with a different meaning each time.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  08:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone here have "knowledge" of a particular material or object? If so, can you tell us anything about what you do with it, or how your life changed upon receiving such knowledge? If you're not sure, i assume it would come from a time when you "became one" with the object or material, presumably from concentrating on it, but I imagine it could happen in a lucid dream also.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't wear anything on my person but do have a nest of Amethyst crystals in my living room. It is about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.
When I think of it I put my hands over it about one inch from the crystals. This immediately produces a feeling in my hands which extends through my whole body bringing me to a peaceful meditative state.
Over the years, especially when the kids were younger we would ask visiting children to do the same and invariably they would experience something - usually heat or tingling.

If I bend over and place my forehead just above the crystals I can feel the pressure in my third eye.

When having heart opening problems I placed the crystal bed between two pillow and lay on top with it positioned at my heart chakra, this helped a lot and brought peace and lessened the pain.

I never got much from small individual stones or crystals but the fact that the larger bed has such an effect would indicate that it is probably happening on a lesser scale.

S
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  6:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Etherfish,
When I recived shaktipat from guruji in India last year he gave all of us an asan to sit on during the shaktipat.Somehow on the first day he permanently charged it with his energy. I gave it to my tai chi friends to feel last week and one of them was gasping for breath and could not speak after the effects of the energy.I use this for meditation to gain the advantage of hid energy and it strengthens the connection with him.Like Frank I am careful who I let hold it.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

noche

Colombia
16 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  9:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit noche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
does it matters if the crystals are broken?(at hte base or holes, etc) is the shape important?
I have felt the use of a lapislazuli when i dont use it. it gives you less social-vocal-self.

in lakĀ“ech
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Frank-in-SanDiego

Hari Om
~~~~~~~
Hello Folks,
.... wondered if any of you are using Rudraksa, malas, gem stones , pearl, etc. for the improvement either of actions, meditation, and the like.

Since I discovered I had something "special" I bought one of the rudraksh mala (108) beads as soon as the sales clerk handed me it I felt such a strong something the beads moved for itself and is actually growing.......It depends on the wearer ...it has great magnetic power with prayers.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000