Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 guess why doenst matter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  9:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
some observances from lately and figured Is share them here. spent time with my family today and yesterday. We hung out, ate some food, talked, laughed, played with my nephew, etc... many times after something like this it feels hard to say I had a good time or enjoyed myself. Many moments were in peace and laughing surely is enjoying the moment. This has been something that has occured in my past as well, hard to look back and say I enjoyed myself when many times the truth was that I did.
I looked forward to reading your experiences,
thanks
Brother Neil

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  11:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey brother Neil,

What do you find hard about saying you had a good time/enjoyed yourself?

For me, I prefer not to use certain words like "good". Simply because it's an opinion and it's misdirected. "The sandwich was good". The truth is that I enjoyed it. There's nothing intrinsically good or bad about the sandwich, as I see it.

But, you might be talking about something else.

This was a good interaction

Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on May 09 2010 11:53:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  06:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
funny, I know this so well. it goes like this.

"Laughing with friends, I am enjoying this. But surely enjoyment means I am making a judgement about something. Making a judgement surely contradicts the whole essence of what Yoga is about so in a sense this is bad, particularly as when I walk away from this event I might feel a little sadder."

It is not the enjoying or the not enjoying ot the being apart from the enjoying. That is confusing.

Accept and love each moment because it is a perfect moment. The part where you question if you are enjoying the moment is the part that brings you out of the present. This is natural to think these things, once you have the thought 'I shouldn't' then the fog of thoughts expands rapidly.

So, as you have those thoughts, be aware of them within what you call 'stillness', you cannot stop them so just accept them......so, 'I love the idea I am questioning if I should be enjoying this', 'I love the idea that I should make a judgement'. 'I love that I am sad/happy/in pain'.

Keep on noticing and accepting just like we do in DM. We do not try and kill the thoughts (because that is just another thought 'I shouldn't be having thoughts' ). Instead, accept them and enjoy that you have them.

Once you have this then it becomes effortless, thoughts come and go like watching a stream of traffic from a Motorway Bridge. Sometimes the traffic is fast, sometimes it is slow, sometimes busy, sometimes empty. There is no need to concentrate on a particular car or jump into the drivers seat, which leaves you to just be with the moment.

It's funny that our whole world of creativity says that one thing. We try and show how we should be, but somehow we decide something else is better. I'm often reminded of a Panto scene with the actor saying 'I wonder where he went ?" and the entire audience shouts 'He's behind you' and the actor appears oblivious, cupping his ear as if he is unable to hear.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000