Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 coffee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all:

I'm on my 40th day of AYP practice and I AM starting to see small positive effects. My question is; I always have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning then go potty, and now meditate. How important is it that I should meditate before my coffee ritual?
I'll ask the scotch and wine question in another post. Awfully hard to break these 40+ year old habits.

We are one

Guy

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 8:56:51 PM

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy. Definitely pee first. Nothing worse than a squirmy meditation. I've found that when I drink coffee before meditation, my mind is all over the place, running full speed into the day. If you can stand it, try waiting until after, and see if you notice the difference. I drink wine and altho it doesn't seem to affect my overall practice, I find that it's pointless to try to meditate if I've had a glass. And, fwiw, I don't drink as much since I started meditating. Just not all that interested anymore.

BTW, if you do a search on coffee & wine, you'll find the subject has come up before, and there may be some info in there that you're interested in.
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion:

2 ounces (or more depend on what you can handle) of your own urine first thing, then meditation, then water, then a nice cup of Cafix which taste just like coffee. It is made out of Malted barley, barley, chicory, figs and beet roots. It is a product of Switzerland. It is delicious. I add a table spoon to 2 cups of almond milk and it is just like the real thing. After that do the Tibetan rites. These 5 exercises give you tremendous energy. Check it out: http://tkdtutor.com/11Training/Rite...anRites.htm.
enjoy
love
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
caffeine makes it harder for me to meditate. Also I have noticed that it builds up in my system. Sometimes I quit for a while, and it's the second or third day until I have really deep meditation, the kind where you come out to a different world than when you went in.

I imagine other people's systems are different. You can overcome the effects, but it's harder.
In general, the less mood altering chemicals the better meditation for me.

How much poop should we eat in the morning? Ha ha just kidding.
I'll look for that Cafix.
Go to Top of Page

love

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  12:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit love's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish
It look to me that you are ready to ascend ha ha ha just kidding. Your sense of humor is rubbing off on me. I hope not actually.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  3:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy. I usually get up, hit the bathroom real quick, take a sip of water and thank God for the new day and then settle in for a lovely, quiet meditation. I don't putter around with my daily cup of coffee until after my meditation.

I like getting up early to meditate, when the house is still very silent. And I do seem to have a deeper, more profound meditation if my tummy is empty.

After my final certification exam is done, I'll be slowly decaffeinating myself again, but one challenge at a time.... :)

In light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
It is better to meditate when you have an empty stomach as the energy can flow better much like an empty pipe.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  5:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish said:
How much poop should we eat in the morning? Ha ha just kidding.

Yogis, if someone finds out that eating your poop is good for you, do us all a big favor and don't let us know about it.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 31 2006 5:35:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  3:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hate coffee...I find it a cheap buzz indeed. But I'm in the decided minority. In the current NamaRupa magazine, BKS Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois agree that coffee is the soma the ancients talked about.

I really don't get it. If you need stimulants to get going, 1. you ought to just work on that, and 2. there are better ones, e.g. crystal methedrine.

VERY agreed that you should perform (ahem) both bathroom rituals prior to meditation. That's something all authorities seem to say.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  7:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

I hate coffee...I find it a cheap buzz indeed. But I'm in the decided minority. In the current NamaRupa magazine, BKS Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois agree that coffee is the soma the ancients talked about.

I read somewhere I will try to remember where, that there is a tantric ritual to collect the secretions from from the yoni of the goddess (the yogini) and that this is the soma of the ancients. Has anyone else heard of this.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  10:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~
Just a note to all the coffee clutcher's.
This conversation has roots... I thought I smelled expresso before
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=479

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  02:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Er, no, hadn't heard that, Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  4:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Er, no, hadn't heard that, Richard.

Its probably wrong as it came from an ocultist rather than a Yogi.

Its suposed to be from the Tantrics of the Kaula sect which is part of the Vamacharins and the text is suposed to come from the Lalitasahasranama

The 16th kala or ray of the moon is the essence where time stands still.

the kalas are collected on a bhurga leaf when the priestess is in rapport with a god or spirit.

Its all a mystery to me and I just wondered if anyone else had heard of it.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  12:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I really don't get it. If you need stimulants to get going, 1. you ought to just work on that, and 2. there are better ones, e.g. crystal methedrine.

This annoyed me when I read it, but I just dismissed it as Jim being a curmudgeon. It stuck with me, tho, and then I came upon the following in the book I'm reading:

"The guru prods the disciple wherever attachment creates a block to self-understanding and self-transcendence. Attachment is the big stumbling block, at least attachment to worldly things. Tantra does not consider worldly things baneful in themselves, as they too are Shiva. The problem with attachment to them is simply that we experience them as external to ourselves, and thus they continuously reinforce our false self-identity (as the limited ego-personality rather than the universal Self). The tantrikas do not seek to dissipate the energy present in attachment as such, but they redirect it to the ultimate Reality. When attachment to Shiva (or Shakti) outshines all other attachments, liberation is close at hand."

-from TANTRA: The Path of Ecstasy; Georg Feuerstein

I quit coffee 2 days ago.

Thanks, Jim. And Guy. (Sorry that I thought you were a curmudgeon, Jim).

Edited by - Manipura on Feb 03 2006 1:43:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  3:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg:

I just recieved in the mail my first order of Cafix. I haven't tried it yet but hope it will replace my coffee habit. Have you ever tried it?

Good luck with your coffeeless life.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  3:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Waah! I'm not a curmudgeon! I'm full of hope and enthusiasm!

I'm delighted you quit, Meg. I strongly believe that a thousand years from now people will look back at this era as a time of massive drug addiction. And I really don't think the stuff is good for you.

Meg, do lots of chest opening asanas (especially backbends like urdva dhanurasana) to recoup some of the energy. And bear in mind that coffee, itself, contains no energy. It's not fuel, it's just an agent that forces your body to squeeze out its energy reserves. That can't be a good thing to keep doing!
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, Guy - I've tried Cafix, Pero, you name it; they don't do anything for me, other than taste good. But clearly that's not what I'm after. I've had an intimate relationship with coffee for around 20 yrs., so this isn't a just a detox - this is a divorce, and a contentious one at that. My body is really unhappy right now, my head pounding, and all I want to do is sleep. If that isn't a testimony to what the caffeine's been doing to me, I don't know what is.

On a brighter note, I'm very excited to find out what's on the other side of this, once I'm totally detoxed. It may well be that caffeine has been preventing me from going deeper into meditation. Maybe I'll report back in a month or so, in case it's beneficial to anyone else reading along.

Jim >>Waah! I'm not a curmudgeon! I'm full of hope and enthusiasm!

Yes, I see that. But you sometimes do a convincing curmudgeon imitation, for which I'm grateful. :)

Edited by - Manipura on Feb 03 2006 4:26:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

And bear in mind that coffee, itself, contains no energy. It's not fuel, it's just an agent that forces your body to squeeze out its energy reserves. That can't be a good thing to keep doing!

Yes, that's absolutely true, and I think the same is true for Ginseng and most other things that perk you up.

I have a feeling though that Reishi mushroom is different. Though Reishi mushroom isn't a fuel either, more like a lubricant for the body's mechanisms.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That story of Bodhidharma tearing his eyelids off to throw off sleep so he could meditate more and his eyelids grew into the first tea plant to enable meditators to meditate more seems pro-caffeine.

I agree, though, caffeine is hard on the system and it may have been more useful in an ancient culture that was more pastoral and yin. For us Yangy Americans, enough is enough.

I'm trying to get into decaf. green tea. Still many of the antioxidants, theanine, etc that are very beneficial.

Taoists like Ken Cohen say that tea fights stagnation in the liver which is very beneficial for practitioners and that tea drinking is very traditionally popular amongst the zen set for that reason. So perhaps decaf tea is a good middle of the road strategy?

-Yoda

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  6:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda

That story of Bodhidharma tearing his eyelids off to throw off sleep so he could meditate more and his eyelids grew into the first tea plant to enable meditators to meditate more seems pro-caffeine.

LOL!!!

You bet. Again, I concede I'm in the minority.

quote:

I'm trying to get into decaf. green tea. Still many of the antioxidants, theanine, etc that are very beneficial.
[\quote]

works best in iced tea, I find. Keep it very cold. You can add some honey, but try to wean yourself.

[quote]
Taoists like Ken Cohen say that tea fights stagnation in the liver which is very beneficial for practitioners and that tea drinking is very traditionally popular amongst the zen set for that reason. So perhaps decaf tea is a good middle of the road strategy?

no doubt that green tea has lots of benefits. does decaf have the same benefits? no idea. But it's a fine thing to drink, IMO.

Oh....when you brew green tea, don't use boiling water, it creates a bad bitter flavor. Let the water cool considerably before steeping.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Guy - I take back what I said about Cafix. It rocks. It's tasting better by the minute. (actually, I prefer Pero, but same idea). Another good one is Morning Thunder tea by Celestial Seasonings.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  10:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg:

I've had the Cafix for 3 days now but haven"t tried it yet. If you say "it rocks" I'll start with it tomorrow and give it a fair shot. J&k sure knows how to put the mirror in front of our faces. Gotta love the lessons. I say thanks J&K: coffee today/wine maybeee tomorrow.

Good Luck Meg

Guy

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  5:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops - I made a mistake. It's Roastaroma that's a good caffeine substitute; Morning Thunder has caffeine.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  9:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
J&k sure knows how to put the mirror in front of our faces

That's a nice yogic way to say I'm a noodge!

Wine's fine, in moderation. It's good for you. But coffee and sugar, I dunno. Bad for you, highly addictive, and, worst of all, cheap cruddy buzzes. I get sugar addicted super easy, though, fwiw. That can be a tough one. We have one forumite who's claiming to have been hit by a truck just so that she gets sent chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  8:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000