Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 mulabandha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I'm a bit confesed by this technique.

First of... Flex, the anal sphincter... check!

" we lightly flex and pull up above the flexed anal sphincter, through the pelvis, and into our lower belly."

This is the step that is causing me some difficulty. I noticed when I try to simulate such an action I end up flexing my sex organ as well. So essentially what I end up doing doing SBP is flexing my anal sphincter, sex organ and to a certain degree it seems my lower belly is involved as well.

Is this the correct practice?

j

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  5:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is fine. As you practice mulabandha you will progressively gain more control over each individual muscle and be able to control them independently. For now, a generalized contraction of the area works just fine.

One thing I've always been confused about is the fact that most of the material I have read refers to the contraction of the perennial floor as mulabandha. Maybe contracting the anal sphincter is easier for most people, or is enough to cause some sympathetic contraction in the perineum also.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  6:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering about mulabandha a month or two ago here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7349

I'd add that it seems like mudras and bandhas are simulative of automatic yoga energy flows that eventually take place. We start out practicing the mudra/bandha however we think it's supposed to be, and we worry about whether or not we're doing it correctly. After a while it happens as automatic yoga, at which point we're like "aha! that's what I've been simulating this whole time, now it's happening energetically on its own!" And as long as long as we're close enough to correct when we begin the practice, it will eventually take care of itself. For mulabandha, close enough seems to be just flexing "down there" in general.

Best,
JDH
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I ran into an old yoga friend yesterday who had written a book for women on how to use yoga to overcome incontinence. She shared with me something that made sense in pranayama as well, and I am exploring in my practice. her suggestion was that in visualizing the pelvis floor that one should actually RELAX or at least not grip the anal sphincter, but that the lift should be from the area of the sitting bones to the pubis, with no grip in the anal sphincter at all. She had me do a brief exercise of contracting the anal sphincter and feeling the effects on the breath which was very evident. When the sphincter was contracted the effect was to restrict or stop or cause tension in the breath, whearas a gentle and subtle lift in the forward area was a desirab;e mulabandha action. Obviously one needs some tone in the anal sphincter but I have found that relaxing any grip on this area feels very beneficial.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000