AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Pranayama/Awakened K. before Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani,

I know you have devised a system for the masses designed at least to work best for all kinds of people.

But what do you think of the suggesstion that deep silent mantra meditation is inadvisable before awakening kundalini shakti through the appropriate pranayams such as nadi shodhana and spinal breathing (your optimised version of kriya K. yoga- with the associated mudras and bhandhas)

Is it not possible that for folk with above average imbalances that deep silent mantra form meditation working like the fine tooth comb it is on your inner obstructions may not be that hlpful, at least in the long term. I also gave some thought about the impasse i encountered after by first six weeks here.

And i know you've endeaveoured to devise a one size fits all system tailored for the masses, in terms of simplicity of adoption, application ,efficacy etc.

What do you honestly think of these thoughts.

Okay here i'm thinking maybe( i don't know) dropping my deep meditation and just working on getting a more harmonious flow of kundalini shakti through appropriate pranayamas.

(I clearly had a dormant nostril for the past few years hence the ida/pingala imbalance but that is another story.....)

I'm finding i'm having to navigate around this inner territory to get further openeings , and stablise. But i would be less inclined to believe in the efficacy of these yogas had i not kind of apprenticed with AYP for the last 8 months.

Like my inner guru is saying AYP is a one size fits all attempt byt you- afte which the discerning practitioner will have worked out that even it is an idealized path.And we really have to have the courage to work this out as our inner guru devalops.

I am finding iam much more aware of the energy body or pranamayakosha as th yogis woould sa after my time at AYP and indeed of my obstructions and how to rectify them but if i stuck rigidly to the 2 core practice prescription at this stage, the job would not get done.

Where did this come from?(i.e these thoughts of mine)- well i think some systems may well say awaken kundalini( find some energy balnce and stabilisation) - before en-joying meditation. And because silent mantra meditation being the more efficacious/powerful kind of meditation works on a finier level perhaps it may not always be best for everyone.

So in that case their new prescription for those with more extreme imbalances ,perhaps orginating even before they took up any kind of yoga practice coould look something like:-

1.increase pranayama, or rather bring more or even exclusive focus to this side of the equation
2.reduce deep meditaion or even miss it out entirely at least until the enrgy body is adequately stabilised and balanced.

What do you think of all this?

Any thoughts?

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  6:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Akasha:

You are talking about two different approaches to practice, and you will have make your own choice on which to follow. Obviously, you can't follow two approaches at once, and you can't expect one approach to redefine itself to suit the needs of another approach.

One thing I can tell you: Many of the people who arrived here with pre-existing kundalini difficulties came from pranayama and kundalini-focused paths, not from meditation-focused paths. I am not saying that those who begin with meditation are not going have energy challenges at one time or other, but from my experience, the incidence of it has been far less, and much more manageable due to the cultivation of abiding inner silence (the witness) in meditation.

So is pranayama more stabilizing than meditation? No, not always.

As you know, AYP represents a balance of methods for cultivating both inner silence and ecstatic conductivity. If that does not work for you as constituted, then try something else.

Probably the best place to find an answer to your question is from those who promote pranayama techniques first and meditation later on. That is not the AYP approach. It is another system.

Thank you for posting about this in the right place.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  9:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thanks for responding

And One to think about.

I'm going to likely be led by results( whther i feel more stable in daily life etc) and inner guru whether i add on or substract any given practices, review other systems or my own AYP practice(or version of).

A 'pranayama then meditation' approach may well be explored. I hope i'm not potentially confusing anyone by saying this.But I don't think i'm deviating from AYP . I think i'm just modifying it to suit my own particular matrix of obstructions because on some sense the practice has always got to be under review not just for the practioner but relative to the state or condition of their nervous system at any given point in their life.Let's say it's Under review. But I'd need to take a closer look at other systems to be more conclusive

Thank you!

Edited by - Akasha on Jan 15 2010 10:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Akasha:

You are free to experiment. It is your path.

Do keep in mind that overdoing with pranayama may not be immediately apparent due to delays in results, which is pretty common.

This is why we suggest small steps in AYP, especially with energy-related practices. And preferably preceded by the cultivation of abiding inner silence, which is not overthrown by any sort of upheaval. It's your call.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000