Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Best yoga mat for Bikram yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emilyjackson

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  1:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilyjackson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for the best yoga mat in the UK or somewhere nearby in Europe for bikram yoga and I was recommended Manduka Yoga Mats from Allergy Liberation. Has anyone tried Manduka for Bikram ?

Edited by - emilyjackson on Jan 13 2010 1:14:33 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emily, welcome to the AYP forums.

I used to do a fair amount of Bikrams a few years ago (now I do a Hatha set of asanas followed by the AYP system of pranayama, meditation and samyama) and I used (and still do) the Yogitoes Skidless Yoga Towel on top of a Gaia (?) yoga mat. I find the Yogitoes towel awesome because I sweat a fair bit doing postures (Bikrams or not) and it absorbs the sweat and I don't slip at all...this is a blessing because I do a lot of transitions from standing and sitting postures into arm and forearm balances and when my palms are sweaty it is very easy to slip. This doesn't happen with the Yogitoes towel. Don't know much about the Manduka Yoga mats, but I can highly recommend the no-slip towels for Bikrams classes.

Hope this helps.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

ashmin

India
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  03:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit ashmin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like a hot new trend, but yoga actually began more than 3,000 years ago in India. The word yoga is Sanskrit (one of the ancient languages of the East). It means to "yoke," or unite, the mind, body, and spirit.

Although yoga includes physical exercise, it is also a lifestyle practice for which exercise is just one component. Training your mind, body, and breath, as well as connecting with your spirituality, are the main goals of the yoga lifestyle.

The physical part of the yoga lifestyle is called hatha yoga. Hatha yoga focuses on asanas, or poses. A person who practices yoga goes through a series of specific poses while controlling his or her breathing. Some types of yoga also involve meditation and chanting.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  3:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emily and welcome,

I do my asana on a manduka proLIte. It is a great mat, but it has a slight tendency to slip with sweaty hands.
I'd recommend you to go for an "ecoYoga Jute mat 4mm" from EcoYoga which has an exceptional grip even with sweaty hands, thanks to the jute component. The only downside to this mat is that it will slowly "bio-degrade" directly on your body during practice, so you will have to get rid of many little pieces of rubber on your clothes after your yoga class.

Hi ashmin and welcome,

actually you're right It looks kinda funny how we westerners are talking about yoga in our consumer-language "Manduka for Bikram" sounds cool, right?

Edited by - mimirom on Apr 16 2010 3:53:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

blackmat

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit blackmat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emily,
I love my Manduka Black Mat PRO 85". Extra long, It grips perfectly and I don't even need the towel under my hands. I also love that it is so thick and dense. Please visit www.mandukablackyogamat.com for detail review and product compare.

Edited by - blackmat on May 23 2010 12:38:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

ChrisRich

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  6:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These guys have the best best yoga mat, especially for hot yoga.
Go to Top of Page

yogishankar

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  11:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have both Manduka Prosage and Prolite. Prosage is good for Bikram, though carrying Prosage is a pain
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  07:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackmat

Hi Emily,
I love my Manduka Black Mat PRO 85". Extra long, It grips perfectly and I don't even need the towel under my hands. I also love that it is so thick and dense. Please visit www.mandukablackyogamat.com for detail review and product compare.

Are there some robots on the net, searching for people mentioning brands and then target-advertise stuff or what?
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  09:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there are. And they bump old threads where they advertised too
Go to Top of Page

imagemats

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2014 :  03:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
manduka yoga mats have better slip resistance feature than the other PVC mats. I think these mats are also toxic-free. PVC they said contains harmful chemicals not good for the skin.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  12:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love my "Manduka PL71-PURPLE 71-Inch PROlite Travel Yoga and Pilates Mat (Purple") It is very grippy, easy to tote and looks brand new after a year of constant use. I bought mine from amazon. Big investment of $70 Cdn. but totally worth it.

Edited by - Prem on May 18 2014 12:09:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000