Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Long-Term Meditation Physically Changes The Brain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  1:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

"Just FYI" (For Your Information, for anyone who doesn't know the acronym ) ... for all the empirical verification buffs in the audience:

The Neuroscience Department at the University of Wisconsin has recently verified, via multiple studies of long-term meditators, in coordination with the Dalai Lama*, that meditation does physically and permanently change the brain.

*For some strange reason, they were having a tough time finding long-term meditators, this side of Tibet. Yes, I'm "fixing that".

"The findings from studies in this unusual sample, as well as related research efforts, suggest that over the course of meditating for tens of thousands of hours, the long-term practitioners had actually
altered the structure and function of their brains.
"

Direct Link To PDF Article: Buddha’s Brain:
Neuroplasticity and Meditation

Enjoy.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- I knew my brain was feeling more light .........

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  10:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks K-man! As always your research is appreciated and acts as a bhakti boost...as an engineer designing communication systems for public safety I need more FA....and AYP (and the AYP forum contributors) is helping.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  10:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

Thanks K-man! As always your research is appreciated and acts as a bhakti boost...as an engineer designing communication systems for public safety I need more FA....and AYP (and the AYP forum contributors) is helping.

Glad to hear it was helpful!

And ... whatever FA is .... .. I hope I can provide more of it .... depending on what FA is.

"Factual Affirmation"?

"Freaky Abilities"?

"Fulfilling Attitudes"?

And, just as AFYI ("Another FYI") to All .... I basically just "think of stuff to Google" --- today, I thought/intuited ... "Who was that guy who worked with the Dalai Lama? I think it was University of Wisconsin ...." -- so I put in something like "Meditation Wisconsin Neuroscience Dalai Lama" - and got the right site ... and just surfed around ... and found the article I posted (as in: "you too can try this at home" {or wherever} .... there's a lot of cool info out there!)

And yet .... it's not about the info; it's just that, well ..... some of us enjoy that sort of thing.

I also signed up for Google Alerts; it's really easy (Google "Google Alerts") ... I did Meditation / Yoga / Meditation Neuroscience / Sanskrit / Kabbalah / Kashmir Shaivism ..... and Google emails a daily report for each of them, with results from all over the Web (I've known Google can do this for a long time -- I just finally thought to do this for "yoga and spiritual stuff", yesterday.)

Thanks for the kind words, Machart!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  11:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the article ... FA="Focused Attention" ...which I interpreted as concentration...or...dharana the 6th limb of ashtanga for you yoga experts.

K-man...Your posts, outrageous humour and encyclopedic research benefits everyone more than you probably realize...

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  04:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you Kirtanman.

I am currently reading a good book on related subjects called "The Book of Meditation" by Patricia Carridge M.D. I recommend it to anyone seeking to know more about what scientific studies have found about meditation and its comparison with other relaxation techniques and states. I think it is a good book and has answered many of the questions I myself have had for some time now. For example I am now reading about side-effects of meditation and how these can be different from person-to-person. These are seen as "tension-release" effects as one relaxes and it has been shown that this patterns are unique to each new meditator and how it often strinkingly relates to each person's particular personal history. Interesting...

And to think I found this book lying there in the seat next to the one I sat on in my morning train! Indeed certain things do come to you when you need them...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000