Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 An ayp retreat.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all.

Im thinking about doing an 3 days ayp retreat,following the instructions of ayp retreats.

I have been doing daily practices for almost 6 months.My routine now is 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm.

Do you think is a good idea to do a retreat now?

I would like to be in silence all the three days also.I think its a powerful practice.

Must i continue doing my normal sb and dm time or can i do longer sessions at the retreat?

If anyone is interested in doing a retreat this next days,maybe we can join it together in the distance.We can prepare it together and...It would be more powerful experience!

Thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 24 2009 12:17:34 PM

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also thinking already some time to do a 3 day ayp retreat. Still have no exact dates (has to fit in, working 40 hrs a week), but this year for sure. Very curious to read the responses and also the experiences!

Greetings
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah,im still have no exact dates too.There are some responsabilities and I need to think about it,prepare it,and dont know why but my ego doesnt like the idea.A stange fear is here since i posted this.
But i want to do it.Ill take it easy.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 24 2009 1:23:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mmm....maybe events section is a better place for this post....sorry.
I feel the s.cafe like a section for talking with s.travels about ideas,doubts,plans...also...but maybe not the best place for this...

Edited by - miguel on Aug 24 2009 1:39:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel
quote:
I have been doing daily practices for almost 6 months.My routine now is 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm.

I take it this is 1 minute Spinal Breathing and 5 minutes Deep Meditation.
This seems quite little and looks like you are self-pacing, which I guess you have monitored and have reduced your practices accordingly, as per recommendation.

So just wondering how much leeway you have with your practices in terms of overloading?, and how this would reveal itself on a three day silent retreat, what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle,

Yes,i mean spinal breathin p. and d.meditacion.

I have a very little leeway with my practices in terms of overloading.I must use a chrone due to my high sensibility to practices.

My top time in one session is in 2 mtes sbp and 6 mtes dm. I suposse i could reduce sbp if i want to add more dm time or viceversa.But maximum 8 mtes of practice per session.One minute more lead me to over-purification.
Now i do 1 mte sbp and 5 mtes dm because im rebuilding my practice again.I had an overload some weeks ago cz i added one mte more of practice

Dont know what would happen in a 3 day retreat.Maybe its to much and 2 days retreat is better.
2 days maybe can work well for me and add a good impulse to my journey.
But...dont know exactly...

Thanks .

Edited by - miguel on Aug 24 2009 2:08:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I must say that this idea has come here due to an inner spontaneous desire.An inner call since yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This seems contraditory to me. The times that you practice are very short (which is fine if that is your need), but a silent retreat is really a very big step with that light a practice. Perhaps when you have gotten up to maybe 15 minutes of SBP and 15 mins of DM would be the time to be thinking of a retreat. If you are so concerned with overload at this point I would not push it with a retreat. It is also possible that you are being overcautious as I can't imagine any overload coming from just a couple of minutes of practice a day! These practices may be powerful but unless your 1 minute of pranayama consists of a single breath I really think that you are underdoing.
I would rebuild your practice to a regular solid level before considering a retreat but that is just my opinion
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor,thanks for the advice,but i dont really see any problem if i adapt the retreat to my level of practice.I think two days is a good begining (or 1 day!),and there is a program designed for maximun benefit without many risk,i think.
And the reason why i want to do this is because and inner call for it that i feel now. I suposse i must pay atention to the call.
I can be wrong in many points of course,but its a qeutsion of adaptate the guidelines with your level of practice.
And i think my practice is almost solid and very regular also.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 24 2009 3:49:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  5:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Miguel,

What would the retreat consist of? The regular routine and observing silence? Sounds good maybe for a start 1 or 2 days? Maybe you could add a short routine during the day of a couple of minutes of just observing the breath or maybe being mindful and observant of the mind, sensations and sounds.. Maybe go outside for a walk in nature without any plans, just enjoying it..? I think it may be fun.. It can be revitalizing

Take it easy
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I am not trying to discourage a short retreat of this kind. What puzzles me is the extremely short duration of your practice especially the pranayama part. For me one minute is would basically not even be a settling in period and takes a few minutes to warm up. My daily practice is about 20 minutes of each but I have been doing this for some time. I think that 10 minutes of each is a good starting minimum perhaps with a short break in between if you like. It just seems to me that if you back off that much that you will never really go deeper at all and that maybe challanging yourself just a little bit will do more good than possible overload. Its better to explore and experiment a little with what works for you but to be regular and consistant in practice times and neither overdo or underdo. If you were having hour long sits and complaining about overload I would understand and suggest that you back off a bit, under 10 minutes of each practice is really very light and so my advice is to focus more on the daily practice and I guess do the retreat if you like but do a daily practice that catually counts as the most important part. It seems to me that you are focusing more on the drama of the experience than on the actual experience of inner quiet itself. That is what I would be attentive to. Just my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't understand how a few minutes of pranayama plus a few minutes of deep meditation would cause overloads. Please help me understand. Actually, I can't wait for the day where this is too much and I need to cut back. For the last 8 months I've been slowly increasing my routine up to where it is now. About 40 minutes of pranayama and 20 minutes of meditation, 2 or 3 times a day. I feel some energy during pranayama, a very peaceful feeling during meditation (somewhat blissful, floating feeling), and my breath suspends on it own once in a while at the top of the pranayama but nothing that would remotely cause me to cut back or self pace. What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong?
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  02:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I yonatan.I would follow the instructions here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1416

It was designed by people with experience in retreats.It offers a good balance of activities.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  03:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks good
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  04:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor,the practice i do is my own pace.I cant do more without overloads.
There are persons,like me,who are very sensitives to practices.
It seems a little practice,but i get much benefit in my life over the long term.Little by little.
One mte of pranayama 2 per day,day by day,month by month really works.Its acumulative.
Thats my own pace.It has beeen fixed after some serious research here.
Sensitive meditators exist.There are some of them in this forum.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 25 2009 04:58:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  04:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
RSS,

There is nothing wrong with you.If you feel confortable with that amount of practice,it means that its your own pace.Like i said to Victor,we all are diferent.The things that works for you maybe dont work for me.
If you dont have overloads,thats great i think.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 25 2009 04:58:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  11:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Rest / Silent Observing
(One Hour)
"

I dont understand this point. How should i do this...only lying on the bed? what if i fall asleep? Must i be sit down?
Sorry,dont know very well...

Edited by - miguel on Aug 25 2009 11:36:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Rest / Silent Observing
(One Hour)"

I dont understand this point. How should i do this...only lying on the bed? what if i fall asleep? Must i be sit down?

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I think at that time you could rest maybe sitting outside or lying on the bed, while observing silently the thoughts that come up, sounds and sensations. Or maybe sleep if you're tired..
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  02:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yonatan.
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  5:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

"Rest / Silent Observing
(One Hour)
"

Hi miguel,

this is often on schedule during Buddhist meditation retreats. I think it's what has been also called "simple resting in the present moment," for instance. I'd say it's basically relaxing while being present and wakeful, in a relaxed mode, as best you can. Not judging yourself for not being sharper then you simply are naturally. It means not reading a book or newspapers, or watching TV, or doing needlework or whatever we usually do to avoid the present moment. You can sit outside in the sun, or have a relaxed walk, or lay down a bit and watch all the things that enter the mind - sounds, emotions, thoughts (memories, speech, planing, judgment), likes, dislikes, seeing, smelling, touching, etc. Basically just not doing anything particular. Only being in the moment in a relaxed, non-judging way.
When you fall asleep, then you're taking rest - no problem, it's not zen meditation...

Hope this helps,

Roman
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  5:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally find it helpful to do a light labeling during this period. It helps. One can very lightly mentally label whatever manifests in the mind. That means when you hear a bird, you can silently label "hearing," or when you feel nice inside, then "pleasant," for instance. Very lightly, just in your mind. This is used in meditation centers in Burma. It helps you to stay present, not to get lost in stories and pictures.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  03:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you mimirom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000