New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  4:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I've never heard of this guy before ... but I already kinda like him!

Check out Lorin Roche's web site:

http://www.lorinroche.com/page13/page13.html

(The link above takes you to an article on the Radiance Sutras, aka the Vijnanabhairava Tantra.)

Site overview for Lorin Roche:

http://www.lorinroche.com/page228/page228.html

(aka The Friendliest Meditation Teacher in America)

Among the categories on his site are:

Sex
Drugs
Rock n' Roll

... and a fine example of the last category is this page, with a *MUSTT* listen video!

Not to mention some *excellent* advice on "honoring your inner rebel", vis a vis spiritual/meditation practices.

http://www.lorinroche.com/page48/page48.html

(What typo?? )

Other categories include:

Bhakti Fest
Yoga Soup
Surfing
God

Yes ... he is Californian ... why do you ask??

Enjoy, Dudes of All Genders!

Like, Totally!!

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jul 20 2009 7:14:52 PM

anaitkes

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  9:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit anaitkes's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I exchanged a few emails with him. I found him to be sort of snobbish. I don't like his approach to the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, which is one of the key texts I am interested in. He gave it too much of a New Age spin, to the extent of having "readings" like in poetry clubs or wherever. Kind of misses the point of the text IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  11:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anaitkes

I exchanged a few emails with him. I found him to be sort of snobbish. I don't like his approach to the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, which is one of the key texts I am interested in. He gave it too much of a New Age spin, to the extent of having "readings" like in poetry clubs or wherever. Kind of misses the point of the text IMO.

"Opinions vary."

Sharing any direct experience with someone can be useful for other to know about -- but I think it's also useful to note:

What one person interprets as snobbish -- another may not even notice, or may not seem the same way.

Likewise, maybe some people could find value in group readings of the Vijnanabhairava.

I don't know Lorin Roche at all; if I ever talk/email with him, I'll be happy to share my experience, as well .... though I'll warn you all: it's been quite sometime since I've had a negative impression of anyone; it just doesn't seem to come up all that much, these days.

Basically: I look at it like this -- if someone is willing to create an extensive web site, with spiritual information that may potentially be useful to many -- they warrant the benefit of the doubt.

And heck, who knows, anaitkes -- maybe you caught the guy on a bad day; or maybe your standards of "snobbishness" are more stringent than most (I'm not saying they *are*; I'm just putting it out there as a possibility).

Why am I making a point of saying all this?

Primarily, because I see a lot of teachers maligned by a single statement or interaction, when it's basically unwarranted -- and in the interest of respect to all teachers // web site publishers // bloggers, etc. .... it seems only reasonable to remind everyone reading that allowing yourself to form your own opinion, by checking out the information yourself ... is always a good way to go.

With all genuine respect to anaitkes, I simply haven't found negative opinions, especially opinions that are this subjective (again: what is snobbish? What's wrong with group readings of the Vijnanabhairava? <- Which *is* a text that is of potentially high value to all -- 112 techniques for allowing attention to rest in the true nature of what we each and all are, now.)

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  11:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting page on women! I was apprehensive but it was good 'food-for-thought'.
Go to Top of Page

little_rad

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  4:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx Kirtanman! Totally awesome link, dude.

I also enjoyed your other link to Wayne Wirs. I sent him a message and he replied the day after with a lovely message! Cool.
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  02:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

quote:
Originally posted by anaitkes

"Opinions vary."

Sharing any direct experience with someone can be useful for other to know about -- but I think it's also useful to note:

What one person interprets as snobbish -- another may not even notice, or may not seem the same way.

Likewise, maybe some people could find value in group readings of the Vijnanabhairava.

I don't know Lorin Roche at all; if I ever talk/email with him, I'll be happy to share my experience, as well .... though I'll warn you all: it's been quite sometime since I've had a negative impression of anyone; it just doesn't seem to come up all that much, these days.

Basically: I look at it like this -- if someone is willing to create an extensive web site, with spiritual information that may potentially be useful to many -- they warrant the benefit of the doubt.

And heck, who knows, anaitkes -- maybe you caught the guy on a bad day; or maybe your standards of "snobbishness" are more stringent than most (I'm not saying they *are*; I'm just putting it out there as a possibility).

Why am I making a point of saying all this?

Primarily, because I see a lot of teachers maligned by a single statement or interaction, when it's basically unwarranted -- and in the interest of respect to all teachers // web site publishers // bloggers, etc. .... it seems only reasonable to remind everyone reading that allowing yourself to form your own opinion, by checking out the information yourself ... is always a good way to go.

With all genuine respect to anaitkes, I simply haven't found negative opinions, especially opinions that are this subjective (again: what is snobbish? What's wrong with group readings of the Vijnanabhairava? <- Which *is* a text that is of potentially high value to all -- 112 techniques for allowing attention to rest in the true nature of what we each and all are, now.)

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

I myself think that "Bill and Ted" of "Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure 1&2"
are as fine a teacher as you could find! Open hearts, open minds, compliment
others, and little clinging to how life unfolds!

LOL.

"Be excellent to each other dudes!"
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  05:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to post about this guy, seems Kirtanmann has beaten me to it.

Some time has passed though, here is the link that works now: http://www.lorinroche.com/.

He talkes, among other things, not to overdo with meditation: http://www.lorinroche.com/benefits/...ilation.html,
and, to be careful in taking other people`s opinnions as one`s own: http://www.lorinroche.com/benefits/...rs/vows.html.

But, much more is there as well, as well as his own experiences with meditation, and some of the ways people can help themselves make their practice their own.
Found it worth to read. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  3:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mykal, I also find Roche's approach and site interesting. I like the way he considers that everyone is different, and how this matters in yoga and meditation. Also, he brings Yogani's The-Guru-is-in-you to a whole new dimension by adding the rebel, so, yes, The-guru-and-the-rebel-are-in-you.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  03:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  10:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
very interesting another slice of what yoga can or cant be thankyou wiil read more bit by bit
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  10:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mykal,

Thank you for reviving this thread. I have been reading the radiance sutras for the past few days. I'm mesmerized.

The full length Radiance Sutra is in his website.
https://www.scienceandnonduality.co...as-part-iii/

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  05:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata, thank you for posting that link – did not know that site and found the content quite interesting, including the article by tantrik traditions scholar Christopher Willis criticizing Roche’s approach to the ancient tantric writing.

I read Willis’s article yesterday. I can understand that, from his scholar’s point of view, Roche’s writing may be far from being a translation of the original tantric verses (actually, the fact that the book is NOT intended to be a translation is quite clear to the reader right from the beginning; at least it was very clear to me).

Of course, I would really LOVE to be a scholar who understands the real meaning of the mysterius and elliptical sutras and verses from the ancient yoga writings we all enjoy. But for an average Westerner like me it’s simply not possible to achieve such level of knowledge.

So it’s very important that authors like Roche, Yogani and others have the balls to do the hard work for us average people and write handbooks about yoga practices in a language that we Westerners of today can understand. If we did not have such authors, yoga would still be something for the fews.

Yes, I am an average Westerner and I probably do yoga practices that someone would not even call „yoga“, and, yes, I don’t know much about all the yogic traditions and the culture of those ancient times in the East. Still, I feel the urge and the pleasure to do those practices, and beautyful things keep happening in my life.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  06:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sunyata .
Didn't know that there are 32 sutras on that site .
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  07:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Sunyata, thank you.

One of my beloved bhakti fueling books is the translations of Vijnana Bhairava Tantra of Osho. It's a book of 1500 pages, heavy reading

Edited by - Charliedog on Dec 20 2016 07:06:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  4:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ecdyonurus,

Glad you liked it. The knowingness does not differentiate between a Westerner and Easterner. The bliss of the infinte is timeless and rapturous.
One embrace melts the questioning mind. And yes Yogani is Legendary!

quote:
Still, I feel the urge and the pleasure to do those practices, and beautyful things keep happening in my life.

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 20 2016 4:26:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  4:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

One of my beloved bhakti fueling books is the translations of Vijnana Bhairava Tantra of Osho. It's a book of 1500 pages, heavy reading

Hi Charliedog,

I have read few pages of that book online. That is indeed heavy!

I'm getting a pull to buy books on Kashmir Shaivism/ Tantra.

Daniel Odier- Tantric Quest: An Encounter with Absolute Love

It's about his journey to the East in the 60s and meeting a female tantric master. Just reading that felt radical!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  9:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now you got me curious!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  01:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Yeah. I am 3/4 of the way through that book and I have been reading (on and off) for the past 3 years

The other book of this size which I, however, devoured in 3 days was The Lord of the Rings.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  02:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have read few pages of that book online. That is indeed heavy!

I'm getting a pull to buy books on Kashmir Shaivism/ Tantra.

I meant literally heavy Sunyata I have the printed version of Osho......it was some years ago before finding AYP. I became interested in Advaita, but I didn't find that what I was looking for in books of for instance Nisargadatta. Then I found Osho, his teachings gave me insight in my feelings. One other very beautiful tantra book of Osho is 'Song of Mahamudra' one of my favorites.

If you feel a pull to Kasmir Shavism check you tube on Igor Kufayev. He teaches pure love (my opinion) also he explains very clear the Samadhi stages.

Anyway, I love to read and to resonate with teachers, but I have to say that Yogani's teachings filled the gaps I had.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy,

The book is on it's way along with The Radiance Sutras by Lorin Roche. Looking forward to them.

Hi Charliedog,

I too have been listening and reading Igor Kufayev for few years now. He is indeed very clear! In my opinion Kashmir Shaivism and AYP complement each other perfectly.

I've listened to quite a few of Osho videos. They are all beautiful. But it feels like he is not grounded but to each his own.

Sally Kempton is another wonderful K.Shaivism teacher.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata I ordered too the book of Daniel Odier....it takes two weeks because it has to come from the US

Thank you for your sharing
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2016 :  4:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! I would love to read your review. Mine should be here by next week.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  05:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy Sunyata, I just read in another thread that you are reading Roche's book. It would be interesting to talk about that, wouldn'it? In the other thread you called the book a "translation", but to me it does not sounds like a translation (which is not to say that Roche' book is not good!). What is your point of view?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  09:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ecdyonurus,

It is Roche's interpretation of the Vijana Bhairava Tantra- dialogue between the divine masculine and divine feminine. It has just blown me away. The last six years I've had to work on integrating the awakening so it has been more experiential path and haven't done much reading except for Yogani's books and lessons. And limited to Nisargadatta Maharaj, Ramana Maharishi and Yoganada.

I've discovered Kashmir Shaivism and it's knock your socks off reading combined with AYP practices. Also, I like the fact that Roche has included the Devanagari script(Sanskrit),translated it into Roman letters and then included his own interpretation. I can read much better in English than Sanskrit but it's been nice to brush up on my ability to read the Devanagari script.

In my personal practice, I invoke my Isthas through mantras before I sit for my daily practice. I've also started reading a page of Roche's book to invoke the inner energies before my practice. This has been powerful. So, I've had to self pace on the book because each word is so potent that it makes the inner energies stronger. I've stopped at pg.70 for right now.

In a nutshell, the book is simply his interpretation of his experience with the inner energies over his decades of practice. The words to describe the book - Divine Ecstasy.

Have you read the book? I would love to hear your perspective.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 09 2017 11:57:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  03:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

Thanks for your reply - very interesting!

My knowledge of the philosophy called Kashmir Shaivism is shallow, but if we allow ourself to keep it very schematic we could consider that „Shiva“ and „Shakti“ of that philosophy are called „inner silence“ and „ecstatic conductivity“ in AYP, well, I can understand why you wrote that Kashmir Shaivism can be combined with AYP practices. Please don't hit me if this sounds too schematic...

Anyway, although I don’t know much about eastern philosophy and yoga systems, my feeling is that AYP is largely based on a tantric approach, despite the fact that Yogani seems to root his writings mainly in the Yoga sutras of Patanjali. I wrote „seems to root“ because this could be my distorted understanding of Yogani’s writings, of course. Again, please dont hit me...

Concerning Roche’s book, I also find it brilliant and inspiring, and like you I also look at it as his personal - and very inspiring - interpretation oft he Vijnana Bhairava Tantra, not as a translation like a scholar would do. Also, it is clear that he integrated in the rendition his own meditation experience, which seem to be quite huge.

But what I don’t understand is how you can combine this book with the AYP approach to meditation practice, because if I understood things well, the way the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra approaches meditation practice is very different from the AYP approach:
- The Vijnana Bhairava Tantra considers that each practitioner is different, and therefore each practitioner has to find his/her own meditation practice among the 112 radically different methods contained in the book. Roche’s approach goes even further, including meditation techniques that sound very „freestyle“.
- AYP adopted a single mantra meditation technique with a basic mantra for every practitioner and a very limited set of enhancements oft he basic mantra. The variable elements in the AYP approach to meditation are that each practitioner has to find the right duration of his/her meditation session and the right mantra enhancement (or just stay with the basic mantra).

What is your point of view on that aspect?

By the way, I envy you for being able to read Devanagari…

It’s snowing here, and I love the snowflake dance – it is vibrant and peaceful at the same time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000