Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 startup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Where does someone start?

the answer would seem to be-
right now and right here.

I could spend the rest of my days just reading thru this forum. THere is alot of information here. But also too much information I seem to close down mentally and build a wall. Judgements come in-fear, expectations, the gamut.

How I got here to this forum and why I am here make me emotional and a sense of uncomfortable and maybe vulnerable.

lets start with self pacing.
I wouldn't need to ask someone how would I self pace, however considering that I am not one for balance and pacing in the first place-makes for a journey of alot of frustration.
so all of the sudden new information like this comes in-
***&&^&^^^%^^$%$%$%#$#@#!^&(_++_++_+_+_+_+_+)_)((*)*&*&^&%^&$%@$#~~~@~!@$@#^#&%$^%$%%%^%%^&&^!!!!!!!!??>?<<<?":":}{}{+_+_)(&**^&%^$^$$%%&%^^&)(*_)HGYR%^^*(*)_(_(_(_+)_?
?
:{O)*(*&...

ya know what I mean?

so the journey of a thousand miles takes a first step.

just a simple as possible if I want to start to self pace and I have in my best assesment with just a clue to how I am as a person.,...I would start with not very balanced in all areas of life. So that is physically, emotionally, mentally, etc.

I see time and time again that it is recommended to 2x daily practise---but practise what? sit still, breath, listen to birds with the noise of traffic, watch all that is going on....breathing a certain way

so if someone here understands this-please refer me to the simpliest page for starting self pacing..what to do? how to do.

step one- off the cliff.

thanks-
sage(brush)

so like- my life seems like oreck a wreck)

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage

I see time and time again that it is recommended to 2x daily practise---but practise what? sit still, breath, listen to birds with the noise of traffic, watch all that is going on....breathing a certain way

so if someone here understands this-please refer me to the simpliest page for starting self pacing..what to do? how to do.

step one- off the cliff.

thanks-
sage(brush)

so like- my life seems like oreck a wreck)

Welcome Sage.

Breath.... ahhhhh!!!!!

It sounds a lot like the lives/minds of many who start on this path.. overwhelmed, confused, eager, ready, confused.. oh wait I already said that..

OK.. so the best way to start is yes.. the first step. The first step is to read the first lesson Why This Discussion?
Then read the next two lessons on what is Yoga and what is Bhakti.

Then start with meditation twice a day for 20 min each, as described in this lesson:
Lesson 13 - Meditation -- Awakening the Silent Seed.

Then continues reading the lessons and follow the directions given in the lessons. In a few months you will experience the fruits of your 20 min meditation in your every day life. You will feel the clarity to know where you will need to start self pacing in your life. That one will have to come from you.. we would not know where you need to start on that one. But if you start with meditation and for a few months, without expecting any results, keep meditating, the silence will tell you how you need to proceed with the rest.

It's like if you want to build your muscles, and you start eating right and lifting weights, and exercising.. well at first it may seem like you are not getting anywhere, and wish the results were more instantaneous, till one day when you look back you realize how much you have changed... similarly, with meditation at first it may feel like nothing is happening and this is taking too long and I need results now.. well it wont work that way. So take your first baby step to having a less stressful and more balanced life by sitting for meditation.. every day.. twice a day for 20 min. And take it from there.

Does this make sense?
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  1:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sage

Welcome to the forum

Yes....one can easliy get lost in "just reading" :-)

You ask where to start self-pacing.....

Well.....in AYP...the practice of self-pacing is connected not only to the life we are living, but also very much to the spiritual practices we are engaged in. Self-pacing basically has to do with balance....

So it is great that you directly experience the need for better balance....it is crucial for our happiness and general well-being as human beings.

In my experience.....Deep Meditation is the Rolls Royce among the many tools "out there" that offer better balance as an outcome.

So....if you are serious about taking that first step.....I heartly recommend AYP Deep Meditation. If you do no other practices...then don't worry..... Deep Meditation alone is powerful enough in itself. It was the only practice I did for years (I have been a meditator for app. 24 years...the last three in AYP) - and gradually my life changed because of it. If you can't find the time to sit twice a day...then once a day is much better than nothing. In fact any amount of meditation is infinitely better than none at all

If you haven't already, you can read about Deep Meditation in Yoganis lesson here:

http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Please feel free to come back with any questions you might have.

All the best to you

Edited by - Katrine on May 20 2009 1:22:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  1:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti, we cross posted
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  2:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well- thank for two responses.
I will read as suggested above over the weekend and thanks for the pointers.
I am sure I will have ?, already expectations, fears,.....
I am saying this will the air available from 1/10 of my nostril available above water!

whatever that means.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  3:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I have successfully read the recommended readings. now what? do I go to lesson 1?

There is SO much information here- and when I read daily topics-whew it is alot to take in....

I am just basic-
my idea of meditation is to promote peacefulness and calm. I have that buid up like Carson expresses.
(could be this am's chocolate croissant and espresso-my weekend treats and plus a DVD from Antarctica that has me reeling in beauty.

SO I have a teacher-the guru seems to be in here-
just in an unspeakable/unexpressible way.

I think I am looking for a simple formula without having to read alot.

Like do I just sit down and close my eyes and focus on the breath or the silent words om/I AM ...I read all about the roolls royce and I just cruise around in a old volkwagen beetle bug...(convertable...top off!) and read about spontaneous kriyas, spinal breathing, pinching between my anus, drinking amoroli, sadhus....and when someone not looks forward to practise it makes me sad, like because of me?..

I am not making fun, just being playful because I know how serious I AM and I am sure we have some real masters here.

How I want to employ someone who is knowledgeable and available and can tolerate HOW SLOW I take.

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  11:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just continued to read for the next step or should I say reread.

Just sat down with the alarm clock on for twenty minute timer-

noticed very easy to still my body and relax then noticing mass tension in my abdominal region like a wash cloth being wrung out. it is probably there all the time-just goes unnoticed because of my hectic mind.

how much needs said or unsaid?

this is a support forum. I was irritated because it is difficult to just ask for support. I noticed I want to start lashing ut when I don't get what I want even though I never communicate directly.

maybe the key word here is implore not employ-
and I answered my own dilema-

with the meditation- once again noticing how easy for my body to relax...the thoughts, not fighting them so much but like wrestling. I would come back to I AM but that would only last 1-3X and I would be tracking something else..anything from the sound of the dumptruck, to the birds chirping, to painting the scene from the muted color of th e h illside/canyon grasses.
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Sage,

It's great asking for help on this forum, because as I found, ta daa, you'll get helped! Yeah, you can find a lot to feed an obsessive nature (I've read so much on frenum snipping here, I think I could open a little surgical practice) but there's real support.

This is my 2 cents:

All the jumpiness, distractions, the "am I REALLY just sitting here?" the swirling thoughts, the dumb thoughts... They settle down. You're training that part of your mind to leave off. Don't stress. Don't push it. This is something very natural.

You're going to notice that your mind is doing things to stop you just sitting. It used to bother me a lot. I learned to greet each thought as it came up ("did I put the milk away?" "Why did my mother-in-law say that? Did she HAVE to say that?") with a quiet "hello, thought - goodbye, thought." You'll find that eventually you've detached the crazy, story-telling, worry-generating mind from the mind that... I don't know what it is. If you're like me you'll suddenly find a deep sense of companionship in the peace of meditation. Perhaps for you it will be something entirely new. Perhaps, like me, you'll rediscover something that's always been there.

And I hope it brings you joy.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  12:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And oh yeah, the dump-truck is just background music. Say I AM along to it. All the pictures, the hillside etc: just watch it with detachment. If you try to block out the world the effort will engulf your inner silence - just let it do its thing while you do yours...
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here is the thing- I didn't mind all the outside noise-it just matched my mind.
I thought I HAVE to keep coming back to that Iam/om saying mantra.
tat was the wrestle.
then I was also trying to see the noise, what it was beside the dump truck--it was like all of the sudden a mass construction site-
was there a project going on?
no that is the garbage truck?
and then that load banging?
what was that?

just really trying to know what is here.

the birds made me see the field again of yesterday bike ride..

I was anzious for the time to be over so I could type-
but then why?
who is gonna solve all mu issues?
me of coarse.

I am unhealthy in my physical body. daily choices.
I think I have an eating disorder. that is first really unbelievable to think and see. I would never have guessed that-but I wolf it down for filling feeling.
food for me has not been sustainable survival- it is wrapped around complete desire of satisfaction thru sugar, salt, spice, and whatever fills my void.
I am allergic to ALL of it.
this topic should be elsewhere I guess under the diet column-
sorry
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
now I notice that if I don't sit down everyday-that I can just sit down when it comes to mind. and if it isn't for twenty minutes-just do whatever for now.
I am working toward consistency, but in the interim just even a few moments will help.

the I am /om seems not natural to me.
I am liking just sitting here and relaxing and absorbing the environment sounds or being here---

is it absolutley necessary to om/i am?
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what if I think I am the garbage truck and stuck...its not true.
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

For a fantastic introduction to the meaning and purpose of I AM, watch this video on Nisargadatta Maharaj at http://www.theeternalstate.org/ - go half-way down the page to where it says 'Nonduality in Expression', click on 'Free audio and MP3 clips' and go to 'Sri Nisargadatta Video - Awaken to the Eternal.' The concept of I AM and I Amness is all in there. (Thanks to emc for the link and Balance for his brilliant Nisargadatta thread here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1591)

I AM didn't have much appeal to me at first but as I've persevered - I'm extremely glad I did - I'm beginning to understand.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  7:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeh- I will check it out that link for Nisargadatta-
and I wonder IF you mean what I think YOU mean?

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  09:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome ,Sage

hope you find what you're looking for, and more.

best of luck, & enjoy your AYP practices!

Edited by - Akasha on Jun 06 2009 10:08:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  10:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree especially with Shanti's post above.
Your life is too hectic and you need to be quiet sometimes.
That's what deep meditation is good for.
No need to add on anything else.
Try to cut back on caffeine and salt and sugar as they are stimulants and make it harder to relax.
And for now use your two meditation times per day to not be involved in the busy world. Just see how relaxed and quiet you can be with your eyes closed, and thinking the mantra. You don't need anything else. This one practice is enough to make profound changes. But it must be done consistently, for 15 minutes twice a day, every day for a long time.
The consistency is what makes it work.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000