AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Simple method of self-inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to share a simple method of self-inquiry that has been happening here lately.

As I go about my daily life I notice what the mind is overlaying onto reality and if it is observed to be projecting things in any way, it is met with "is that true/ certain?".

So for a simplified example, if I am outside and I notice my friend Bob, who I haven't seen for a while, running after a dog I've never seen before with a stick, that's hopefully where it ends. If however I notice or hear the mind saying things like "oh Bob got a new dog" or "wow, Bob seems angry at that dog" or "Bob is going to play with that dog with a stick" or "the 'fact' that Bob has a dog now means he must have been lonely" or any of the million ways mind can project, I recognize the assumptions in the simple reality of man and dog (and not even that is true) and ask if any of the assumptions are true (if necessary as sometimes recognition is enough).

Of course it can be far more subtle than the above example, but highly beneficial to catch the story-telling mind in action especially if the story is stressful or negative in any way. The meaning that mind can assign to anything and everything and how that is often applied to "i" can be tricky to see but with awareness it will eventually be exposed.

Hopefully people will find this helpful.

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a stupid question:

if I see a man behaving suddenly in a violent way with another being, like he's gona harm him seriously, and I'm the only witness around, should I see:
"man behaving in a certain way with another being?"

and ask myself if this is true?... (meanwhile, a murder could happen!)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

Thanks for sharing this....I do the same thing as well.... I always considered this a version of mindfullness though. Noticing the thoughts that arise in the mind, and then observing them for validity, stories, dwelling on the past/future, etc etc. and then releasing everything that doesn't jive with what Is. Perhaps I have a very simplified version of mindfullness going on over here, haha....Thanks for sharing!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The crux of the continuing story of Bob with his history to a me and his running with a dog and a stick is in the me. Without a substantial me there is just a story that has no real steam to run on and on. So the story is O.K. as it goes, but when it fizzles it's O.K. too. There are always things happening.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Goddessinside

I have a stupid question:

if I see a man behaving suddenly in a violent way with another being, like he's gona harm him seriously, and I'm the only witness around, should I see:
"man behaving in a certain way with another being?"

and ask myself if this is true?... (meanwhile, a murder could happen!)

Hi Goddessinside,

Recognizing ourselves as the witness or observer doesn't mean there won't be appropriate action. On the contrary, without our story of events, we are free to act in a much more appropriate way that a given situation requires.

The heart will feel compelled and there will be action without any identification. Love isn't necessarily a passive bystander though it could be if that is what is required.

The "shoulds" or "shouldn'ts" disappear and we are free to act as we are meant to.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good point Balance.
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
so.. the heart..always the heart...with awareness!

thank you.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  3:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this Burt Harding video fits in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqbBwxTKjrw
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

I am A M A Z E D at the assumptions my mind makes on a moment by moment basis. The generalizations that occur to me when I look at people. Curiously, it's usually other people. A person has a particular characteristic and notions spring up. It is effortless and without any basis in fact. That 'this person doesn't like me' is a recurring one. I know the way my mind works so I know that on occasion, my mind doesn't like another person, but then my mind is off thinking about something else. The point is, I assume that this person's whole being is focussed on 'not liking me,' and while that might have a grain of truth to it, and that sentiment could change with a word from me or a word from someone else about me, I am fixated on it, wholly describing this person, their whole being, based on their 'not liking me.' It is a wonder to behold this mind of mine. I don't know about yours, because I have not used it.

Thanks for bringing this up, and now I'm wondering whether my post fit in with the point you were trying to make.

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Wanted to share a simple method of self-inquiry that has been happening here lately.

As I go about my daily life I notice what the mind is overlaying onto reality and if it is observed to be projecting things in any way, it is met with "is that true/ certain?".

So for a simplified example, if I am outside and I notice my friend Bob, who I haven't seen for a while, running after a dog I've never seen before with a stick, that's hopefully where it ends. If however I notice or hear the mind saying things like "oh Bob got a new dog" or "wow, Bob seems angry at that dog" or "Bob is going to play with that dog with a stick" or "the 'fact' that Bob has a dog now means he must have been lonely" or any of the million ways mind can project, I recognize the assumptions in the simple reality of man and dog (and not even that is true) and ask if any of the assumptions are true (if necessary as sometimes recognition is enough).

Of course it can be far more subtle than the above example, but highly beneficial to catch the story-telling mind in action especially if the story is stressful or negative in any way. The meaning that mind can assign to anything and everything and how that is often applied to "i" can be tricky to see but with awareness it will eventually be exposed.

Hopefully people will find this helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  9:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jon,

It does fit in well because you are describing self-inquiry in a more practical sense.

I found the book "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie to be an enormous help for me to see past many, many thoughts like the ones you describe "he or she doesn't like me", the first question would be "is this true"? Maybe worth checking it out if you haven't already.

Of course, daily meditation will go a long way in helping us see past these things too, best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  5:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks, Anthem for the book tip. I can use all the advice I can get. Actually, what I do is just them pass by, much like my thoughts during meditation. There's a part of me that 'knows' when I should grab onto a thought and examine it, but stuff like that I just let it go. Additionally, my mind fills in the lines created by my mind's perceptions all the time. I see this type of person and my mind gives him/her a story, by the clothing, the gait, the expression on his/her face, but I know N O T H I N G about these folks! They are as complex as I am; they have experienced as many minutes as I on this earth, had countless interactions of every conceivable and inconceivable sort. I could spend years interviewing them and never come to the end of who they are, of their universe, yet my mind will color them in with simple colors, red here, violet there. It amazes me, but I guess our minds need to organize information, to organize our perceptual world, to provide a sense of safety and coherence? Dunno.

It is all A M A Z I N G!

Tks.

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

Hi Jon,

It does fit in well because you are describing self-inquiry in a more practical sense.

I found the book "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie to be an enormous help for me to see past many, many thoughts like the ones you describe "he or she doesn't like me", the first question would be "is this true"? Maybe worth checking it out if you haven't already.

Of course, daily meditation will go a long way in helping us see past these things too, best of luck!

Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  11:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is all A M A Z I N G!

I agree! Funny your post brings to mind a situation many years ago when I had just graduated from university. I was walking down the street and I noticed for the first time the depth to which my mind had been trained to label, analyze and judge pretty much everything automatically. Something to the effect of female, middle-aged, mean looking, then male elderly, short, fat, kind, angry etc. and on and on ad infinitum.

To my awareness, this was the point that marked the height of my mind's conditioning in this life-time. Slowly over-time initially through sport, then later meditation and inquiry the habit eased and eventually was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of thinking no longer dictating my perceptions. Practice goes a long way and at least now I know what I want to practice, transcending thought and knowing my true nature.

Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  09:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How about this: Look at the space in front of your face, what about that is different than your mind?
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  8:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love it! I had just noticed today...I was making up a story about someone. How could I know that was true? Why did I need for there to be a story--what's wrong with having a gap there (for example, man playing with dog. No story.)? I would cause myself a lot of frustration if I tried to stop myself from making up the story in the first place. But noticing that is just a story is a good step.

I also notice how much energy I waste with my story, and get kind of annoyed at it--a good way to naturally step away from identification with the story! Instead of being a part of my reality, it's like a pesky gnat that is kind of annoying, but I ignore. At some point, I won't even give it enough fuel to be buzzing in my face ! :)

And--of course there is a lot of motivation to get rid of a stressful story. But now I realize how *any* story, even good, is fueling a habit that is stressful in the long run. Today, I might think, "My hair looks good," and be happy. But if my hair looks bad tomorrow, that same part of me is now unhappy. Noticing that my hair exists (or does not exist), however, never has a negative flip side. It is just appreciating life.

So I agree that any story about Bob (aside from noticing that Bob is with a dog) is just a silly story. Thank you for sharing!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000