Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Heart problems and diet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  10:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I read in lesson 220 about the person with heart problems
who eats a sattvic diet. There is a great book, "Foods That Fight Pain" by Dr. Neal Barnard, MD. he says that the vast majority of heart problems will clear up within a year if you eat a diet without any animal products at all. Unfortunately the sattvic diet contains dairy products. He says you must stop all animal products or it doesn't work. He lists a lot of scientific studies that have proved this. Unfortunately us americans don't want to hear that, so doctors prescribe "less meat" and "less fat" which are concepts not supported by the studies at all, but easier for us to accept. your body will actually start to clear clogged arteries on its own if you stop eating all animal products. Not that I can do this diet; it sounds awful to me! But if I had chest pains or heart problems I'd like to think I would.
Another thing to consider about dairy products is that ever since pasteurization, dairy products are trashed. in the early 1900's there used to be "milk farms" where people drank fresh milk as a primary diet (non-pasteurized) and were cured of all kinds of ailments. the milk contained antibodies, enzymes, and good bacteria the cow was passing to the calf. Pasteurization not only kills diseases passed in the milk which is the purpose of it, but it kills all the good stuff too. Funny thing, after pasteurization began,
all the milk farms closed down. they didn't seem to cure anything anymore. "Raw milk" you get in the health food store is still pasteurized. It's the law.

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 8:59:50 PM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  9:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an update:
I found it IS possible to get unpasteurized raw milk in some places.
The laws against it are state laws in th USA, so rules vary. This site lists places to get it in the USA, and other countries:

http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

Also there is new research on cholesterol and hardening of the arteries. Although cutting animal products out of your diet seems to cure the problem, new research shows the complexity of the problem. Some research indicates sugar intake (and white starches that quickly turn into sugar) irritates cell walls in the arteries and contributes to the condition. Other research shows that there may be tiny "nanobacteria" involved in the process, much smaller than the bacteria we now know of.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  01:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.notmilk.com/

Edited by - snake on Feb 11 2006 03:02:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

star

12 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  10:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit star's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anybody comment on why yogis are not suppose to eat eggs.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  12:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by star

Can anybody comment on why yogis are not suppose to eat eggs.

I eat them

I've heard of 2 reasons why some yogis don't eat eggs: 1.) To observe ahimsa (non-violence), since eggs contain animal life, and 2.) Some claim eating eggs depletes ojas/prana.

Don't quote me on the ojas/prana thing... I don't fully understand it... under the hood stuff.

Are you considering not eating eggs?
Go to Top of Page

star

12 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  7:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit star's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I wanted to make sure eggs would not harm my work or set me back.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  10:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course every egg you eat is one less fish that could have been born.

But diet is a small part of a good yoga practice.
Is that what you mean by your work?
Go to Top of Page

star

12 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  01:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit star's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At AYP we've been getting very good results without worrying too much about diet. just eat light, nutritious meals and meditate on an empty stomach, and sometimes the body gives you feedback on what to eat so you don't have to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  02:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is true... meditation seems to bring about intuitive choices, I've noticed. The yamas and niyamas seem to come by spontaneously, as Yogani once mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  9:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrs Yoda had recently developed high blood pressure, and a fast arrhythmic heartbeat. The doctors didn't have a solution. Dr Yoda here googled around and put her on magnesium and three weeks later she is 95% cured. I'm hoping in the months to follow, that'll go to 100%.

If you or anyone you know has any cardiovascular problems, I highly recommend reading "The Magnesium Factor". Nations and areas w/in the US that get enough magnesium in the diet and/or drinking water don't have heart problems.

The reason that high fat diet has gotten a bad rap is that fat blocks Magnesium absorption which is enough to tip the balance in a marginally deficient diet.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  11:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, then people go to low fat, low carb diets which are really bad for you. your body has to burn something for fuel, and if all you give it is protein, it gets very efficient at burning protein. So you lose muscle mass very quickly, and you're happy because the weight is dropping. Of course it is; muscle is heavy.
The body isn't conditioned to burn fat because you aren't eating any. So it stores the little fat it has in case starvation might be imminent.
You have to eat fat to burn away stored fat.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  8:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000