Enlightenment Milestones
 Third Eye experienceSushumna Nadi ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  02:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

Almost everytime I do Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka, I am able to see the brilliant Golden annular, with a dark(purplish) core and a glimmering white star in the center. However this happens only when I maintain Kumbhaka for over one minute. Anything less and I either dont see it or the colours are hazy and fleeting. I sometimes think this may just be a physiological phenomenon, that happens when the brain is denied oxygen for a short while, and nothing spiritual. Would anybody care to comment on this, Gumpi, Anand ?

Krish

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi krc,

The most likely explanation as far as i am concerned is that it is just physiological. When the bodily metabolism slows down due to complete stillness of the body for extended periods of time, in the early morning or late evening when the body gets tired, but you stay awake, serotonin and melatonin are released into the pituitary and pineal glands. The pineal produces hallucinatory visions and the lower metabolism creates a tiny deficit of oxygen in the blood, which all together probably ends up being the vision of the spiritual eye.

Some people can see the spiritual eye simply by pressing on their eyelids via yoni mudra. I would conjecture that those people already have a significant amount of natural relaxation in general life.

Some people see the spiritual eye before they know anything about it. This is proof (to me at least) that it is purely physiological. This is why bringing hypnosis into the picture doesn't work in this particular case.

Having said all this, there may still be the possibility that paranormal phenomena such as precognition from dreams do actually exist. Then again, this could be explained simply as the workings of the subconscious mind where it picks up cues and clues from sensory data that the conscious mind is not aware of and them presents it to the conscious mind via the dream.

The way the subconscious works here is not even spectacular, as many would have you believe. For example, supposing you try to think of someone's name and your mind goes blank or you feel like their name is "on the tip of the tongue" but you can't recall it. Later on, the name will suddenly pop into your mind. that is because you have set it back into the subconscious and the subconscious has been working it out. Then when your mind is occupied with something like work or you are relaxed, all of a sudden the information will "pop" in. In the case of geniuses like Einstein or Nikola Tesla, their general thinking patterns are much more sophisticated than the average person because of their intelligence, and that is why their flashes of intuition are greater.

Skeptics say that when people have near death experiences (NDE) there is a lack of blood oxygen to the brain, which creates various tunnel like effects and lights etc. So the fact that you see the vision of the spiritual eye more clearly when you hold your breath longer seems to correspond with this.

Also, when you lift your eyes to do sambhavi mudra, the vagus nerve which connects the optic nerve to the medulla and down the spine to the heart, gets stimulated and helps lower metabolism. Likewise, when you constrict the throat, either by kechari mudra or chin lock (jaladhara bandha), the carotid arteries in the neck are pressed upon which reduces blood pressure. So if you combine sambhavi and kechari, your metabolism can slow way down.

Nothing wrong with any of this really. It feels good. It's a good tranquiliser, and let's face it, for most people yoga works as a relaxing practice, which then spills into the rest of life as calmness, better control over emotions and reactions, clearer thinking, and happiness.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  01:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Thanks Gumpi.

Krish
PS are you a medical man, or just well read and knowledgeable in this domain ?
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  06:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, not a medical man. Just read about these things from books and internet research.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  12:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumpi:

Interesting explanations from a "western" science viewpoint. I recently posted about an old blog post I read that discusses the mysticism vs. brain science viewpoints. http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#48641

I guess until there is real scientific research, like dissecting an AYPer while they meditate (just kidding), we don't really know, and the traditional yogic science stuff is good enough.

Krish:
It could be both? I think I read somewhere that when the supply of Oxygen drops and certain other criteria are met, the vital airs are stirred in certain ways, and so forth. Be very careful! I'm of the opinion that kumbhak should happen naturally and lenghen if needed on its own, but that's just me.

-- jo-self
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  01:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jo-Self,

Hi. I was just following Yogani's lesson on YMK. I also discovered another thing. YSS recommends what they call "Om Technique", where you close your eyes in Sambhavi Mudra, place your pinkie fingertips on the closed eye-lids, at the outer corners and chant Om continuously. Within a minute you see the Golden circle with the dark core and white star ! I guess it has to do more with slightly pressing the eye-ball, than any Kumbhaka, like Gumpi mentioned.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Apr 19 2009 12:47:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  02:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Krish,

I don't think it is simply pressing on the eyelids because everybody in the world would see the same thing and this isn't the case. Are you generally a very relaxed person? The only thing i can think of is that you must be very very relaxed in general.

You are obviously familiar with the YSS teachings of Yogananda. Were you initiated? And did you practice Hong Sau before the OM technique? If so this might help explain why you see the spiritual eye.
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  08:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am familiar with the YSS techniques. What has Hong-Sau got do with it? I do practice it before Om.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  11:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Krish,

I believe that Hong Sau creates a deep level of relaxation. In my case, my practice of Hong Sau was creating pauses in the breathing after the exhale that lasted up to 30 seconds and my tongue even started going back by itself. It is this relaxation that creates the setting up of all the physiological parameters i mentioned above which would make you conducive to seeing light in the spiritual eye due to your deep level of relaxation.

Hong Sau is actually a pranayama technique. I don't know how exactly that works, but focussing on the breath affects the quality of the meditation by affecting the consumption of oxygen in a way that mantra meditation without concentration on the breath doesn't.

As far as my own experience is concerned, i haven't taken up meditation properly yet so that is why i haven't seen the spiritual eye. But i have dabbled.

Were you initiated?
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  12:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No Gumpi, I have started with YSS only 6 to 8 months ago. I expect to obtain diksha in a few months.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the golden brim, the blue/indigo center and the centalating white star. watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9cSuXLlOtA

these are the spheres of the 3rd eye, im surprised u dont hear the music of them yet, should be right around the corner!

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on May 16 2009 5:05:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  11:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michaelangelo1,

Just read your post.Unfortunately, even though I tried hard, I have just not been able to hear the "om" sound, after many hours of doing the YSS "om technique".

Krish
Go to Top of Page

haridas786

India
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  02:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello krcqimpro1,
congrats!! well it seems you are very well settled with the practices,, as it surely a good positive sign of growth n purification and not coz of any oxygen deficiency,, as you are saying ..,,it seems you've had a good amount purification done already and with the retention(kumbhaka) you are able to penetrate deep enough to have a glimpse of your 3rd or spiritual eye,,..the description of the 3rd eye is same as you are experiencing "a golden circle having dark purplish or blue color in between n a white star having having 5 corners in the middle..,," very well going keep up the good work.,,, and also i would just like to know,, for how long you been practicing AYP or yoga previously..???

haridas
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was also wondering that after I started seeing the ring but I noticed I tend to see the ring most when I've had a good session of pranayama. If I try and cut it down, I can hold my breath for a very long time and see nothing...
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  05:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Haridas,

Just saw your post.I have been practicing AYP/meditation now for around 3 yrs. But now, for the last 2 months, huge amounts of energy has started flowing to every nook of my body during SBP, and lately, less amounts even when during DM, and even if I just close my eyes and calm myself down at any other time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000