Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 tai chi or asanas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shredder

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  1:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shredder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently started my practices after 10 or 12 years absence. At that time I did tai chi because of difficulty in flexibility with the yoga postures. Now I'm back meditating, spinal breathing and would like to add some physical aspects to my routine. I have very limited flexibility (3 fused vertebrae with several more bulges) and am a little over weight. I purchased a yoga for beginners DVD and found my limits quickly again. I do get physical exercise at a local gym by lifting weights trying not to load up the spine and cardio 4-5 times per week. I feel my gym work is OK but does nothing for my flexibility problems or adds to prana. I'm wondering if maybe tai chi could fill that void or should I struggle on with the postures. Any advice from someone who has done both or with similar problems would be appreciated.......Shredder

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 27 2009 07:35:03 AM

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If Tai Chi really works for you, go for it.

if you'd really like to do asanas they can be modified for your limitations always. people get hung up on what the poses "are supposed to look like". All those pictures are is what direction you are going in...even if you are only meeting 30 degrees of that 90degree bend, that sorta thing.

what discs are fused?
Go to Top of Page

Shredder

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  9:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shredder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

what discs are fused?

L4,5,6 with resulting nerve damage in both legs....shredder

Edited by - Shredder on Jan 20 2009 9:25:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  10:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shredder, if there are problems with assuming physical postures don't worry about them and don't stress your body with postures and weights. They are not neccessary for progress-enlightenment. Stick with cardio and meditation - all will be fine.

Wishing you the very best,

divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  11:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear that, Shredder. Is the nerve damage permanent?

I feel like you could still do a decent variety of asanas with that condition. Obviously you would want to avoid any sort of lumbar bends and stick within your limits. Have you tried searching for asanas specifically for injuries of that sort?
Go to Top of Page

Shredder

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shredder's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

Sorry to hear that, Shredder. Is the nerve damage permanent?

I feel like you could still do a decent variety of asanas with that condition. Obviously you would want to avoid any sort of lumbar bends and stick within your limits. Have you tried searching for asanas specifically for injuries of that sort?

Please don't be sorry, it's not needed. Like the great guru Popeye said I yam what I yam. Yes I've been told the damage is permanent and it's true I am disability retired, but I'm far from disabled, believe me.
I've done some searching but am hesitant to buy a dvd just to find out it's not really doable for me. While I know tai chi is not yoga it does work the chi or prana. I'm thinking it might just be another path up the mountain.....Shredder
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shredder,
Jim had suggested a name before.. maybe you can check up on her further, she may have something that may work for you.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...._ID=944#4748
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Bobbie Fultz is a yoga teacher expert in using asana to help scoliosis (she's a sufferer). She teaches in PA, but does clinics elsewhere, and can help point to other teachers elsewhere. bobbie99@epix.net

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  07:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  09:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shredder,

Here is a link you might find helpful:

http://www.scoliyogi.com/hyman.html

I googled "yoga therapy spinal fusion." You can research it more if you want.

Best, yb.

P.S. What ever you do remember the number one rule: stay within your comfortable capacity.
Go to Top of Page

shaktipath

Croatia
12 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  4:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit shaktipath's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dearest Shredder,
It is definitely another path up the mountain. Tai chi chuan if practiced as Chi kung in motion cleanses the body, stops the mind and deepens your awareness helping you to see your eternal original face.It is all god as it is , as our circumstances had led us towards the path. Let you iner body leads your outer form, gently becoming more and more sensitive, no intellectualizing but being, being the soul that dances the dance of life.
If you are practicing any stances there are 3 rules, Relax, Relax and Relax.
May you soon become silent and peaceful divine flow !
s
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  6:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shredder,

maybe I'm gonna state the obvious, but hearing you talking about yoga-dvds, I'm sure it would be much much better to find an experienced hatha teacher, believe me. Though dvds or on-line videos can be inspiring, one cannot learn to practice asana well without a real teacher. They often know the human anatomy very well, and offer sensitive guidance. Just make sure you find an experienced and well educated person. I mean if you wish to practice asana, of course. In a good hatha class you will also get guided relaxations a "surveys" through aspects of your energetic body, which can beautifully facilitate the merging of mind and body.

Ester Eckhart is one of those very sensitive and loving teachers, offering high quality guidance. This is very good quality you can get on-line. She is very kind, and I'm sure she will give you advice via e-mail, if you ask for it. But still, it cannot replace a real teacher.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000