AYP Helpers
 Forum connection problems, tech help & money
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is an email exchange with Paul regarding hitting the database connection limit:

Q: I was unable to access the AYP forum site.
This is the error message that I got. Maybe it is at my end but I thought that I would give you a heads up!
Paul

"The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed..."

A: Hello Paul:

I experienced the same access problem to the forums last Friday night, and investigated it with our hosting service, GoDaddy.com. It turns out that while we have plenty of bandwidth and data storage capacity, the ASP language MySQL database configuration used by the forum has a limit of 50 simultaneous connections, and this is what we are bumping up against. You should not have this problem with the online lessons. If you do, let me know.

Obviously, this database connection limit (which is buried in the hosting service documentation) will not serve us for the long term, or even the short term considering how fast the AYP readership is growing. The only way to fix it with GoDaddy is to go to a dedicated server setup, which requires setup skills I do not have (yet), and it costs significantly more too. There are other hosting services, but I have not been able to locate one with preconfigured large connection capacity to MySQL database hosting.

Another solution (a stop gap) would be to allow access to forum members only. This would take the forums out of the search engines (ouch) and greatly reduce the readership. That would reduce the AYP forum's database connection load. If access problems become chronic, we may have to close the forums to non-members until we can find a long term solution.

If anyone else has been hitting this limit, let me know. I'm not sure how quickly it can be addressed with a long term fix, given the technical hurdles.

We were starting to have capacity problems on the Geocities site before aypsite.org was launched in June. Here we are four months later, bumping the ceiling again.

Suggestions?

The guru is in you.

Yogani

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem today between 2pm and 3pm. Unfortuantely, I do not have any technical expertise along these lines to add to this thread. All I can suggest is if we are not able to come up with a viable solution amongst the moderators, perhaps this is a question worth putting to all the forum visitors? Maybe someone "out there" will have an idea or solution.

A

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  12:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew:

The solution will probably be to set up in dedicated server mode, which will take some time. That will give us control of all the parameters. We may have to turn off non-member viewing here for a while until we can get upgraded. That would remove the forums from the search engines, reduce traffic, and increase forum sign-ups at the same time.

I'll put a note in the announcements and AYP helpers forums soon to address this. Will also ask for help in the Snitz forums (link at bottom of this page).

The AYP forums are slow here this morning, but not locked out on connections so far. These are tech issues that will be resolved in time. Please note further access or speed problems here so we will have more data points.

The postings in the forums continue to be terrific. Very useful explorations of applied yoga science -- a gold mine for independent practitioners! We will do what is necessary to keep it available for everyone.

The guru is in you.

Yogani
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  10:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

What about the costs pertaining to a new dedicated server? Is this something manageable or if not maybe setting up an area to make donations on the main AYP board to cover the costs should be in order?

It doesn't seem right to me for you to be shouldering a financial burden when you are already putting in exceptional amounts of time and effort into AYP. Swami J who runs a similar type of site, follows a tradition in his lineage to only accept donations but not payments for his efforts. Would something like that work for AYP?

Edited by - Anthem on Oct 08 2005 7:18:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  12:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew:

A couple of other hosting options have come up from the Snitz community forum that I am investigating, though it still may go to a dedicated server on GoDaddy. Once it becomes clear where we are going with the forum, I will let everyone know. The cost of a virtual dedicated server on GoDaddy is $30-35/month, depending on the length of commitment -- not cheap.

On donations, there was a donation page on the AYP Geocities site for about six months last year. It netted $13 from one kind person and some negative PR from others who were not so kind. Everyone else ignored it, so I ended the donation page when the first AYP book came out. Since then, one person has stepped forward with a generous unsolicited donation, for which I am very grateful. I will also be grateful if others are inclined to do the same, but I am not comfortable advertising publicly for it anymore.

Any other donations that do come, if ever, I request be for value perceived to have been received already, not for anything expected to happen in the future. That way, there cannot be any misunderstandings about it. What would be ideal would be if the word got around without me having to solicit. I still have a www.paypal.com account using the yogani99@yahoo.com email address. Haven't checked it for some time. Gee, maybe there is a fortune in it! Not likely.

Thanks for your concern on money matters. It is a concern here too. So I keep writing...

The guru is in you.

Yogani

PS -- I would not be opposed to seeing this topic moved to AYP helpers at some point. If so inclined, one of you can move it with an appropriate message at the end, posted after the move. As long as it is not me asking for money. Somehow that does not fit into the equation for this work anymore. I feel that balancing of the financial equation has to come freely from the other side, or not at all. It is an energy thing related to receiving and giving. It should come naturally from within, like everything else we do here.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  12:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

To follow up on this discussion, the AYP forums have been moved to a new server host as of 10/9/05. This hosting service includes technical support for the Snitz forum software we are using here, and is designed for growth. Thank goodness for that!

Make sure you bookmark the new forum address, which is www.aypsite.org/forum
There is currently automatic forwarding from the old address, but maybe not forever.

For more information on the move and the new ".org" website, see http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=512

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  10:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As most visitors here are probably aware, Yogani has gone to great lengths to make the AYP lessons free and accessible to all and has been incredibly generous in helping thousands of people and has never asked anything in return. Had he taken the usual route of only sharing his lifetime of knowledge through books and not posting so much of it for free on the web for our benefit, he wouldn't be coming up short now on the financial front.

AYP could use a little help…

Book sales, which were being counted on to fund the websites, the forums and future books have unfortunately fallen below expectations, so these being available to us all in the future is uncertain. If you feel like you have benefited from Yogani’s work and writings then buying his books and sharing this great knowledge with others would be an enormous help (not to mention others would benefit as you have from AYP).

Or...

More directly, you can help alleviate some of the financial burdens that Yogani has silently and without complaint personally undertaken. In order to keep the websites and forums running, and to pay for the publishing of the books, you can make a donation through www.paypal.com to yogani99@yahoo.com .

More simply, just click below to make a donation
:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...rset=UTF%2d8

Edited by - Anthem on Oct 26 2005 12:00:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000