Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sumate

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  4:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sumate's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Are there any alternate methods for siddhasana. If you use a chair to meditate can you use a rolled towel to push into the perenium or how about a nerf ball to sit on between svidhisthana and mooladhara. Any suggestions would be helpful. These would act as substitutes for western meditators that cannot assume some of the postures.

Sumate

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you can definitely use anything for a mild pressure in that area. Rolled up socks, or whatever :)
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sumate, I had the same question, since, even though I am an Indian, I found sitting in siddhasan painful in the ankle bones. Yogani also recommends in a lession, that we could use something under the perenium instead of siddhasana,whether sitting cross-legged, or on a chair. I have been doing that( a ping-pong ball) for a few months. However, I do feel uneasy mentally, since Yogani refers to siddhasan in many of his lessons, saying it is a powerful method to expedite raising the Kundalini. Therefore my question is, should what I am doing be only a temporary measure till I learn to sit in siddhasan without discomfort, or is it a good substitute long term?

Krish
Go to Top of Page

Sumate

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sumate's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish and Tadeas;

Thanks for responding. Since you have been using this replacement method for siddhassana are you using it when you do kechari mudra, spinal breathing, moola bandah, yoni mudra, chin lock, and finally progress into deep meditation and are you able to experience samahdi while having this object apply pressure. If this object works it would be a very powerful addition to our spiritual practice.

OM Guru

Sumate
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  02:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sumate,

I am using it for SBP, which includes ashwini mudra, yogic breathing and kechari; thereafter in YMK and S Bhastrika Pranayam, and continue it in DM and Samyama. After bhastrika, I am able to go deeper into DM quickly and experience, what I believe is, inner silence which may also be called "mini samadhi', from what I have learnt from the forum. My kundalini is, however, not raised yet. I am able to see the sushumna during the YMK.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Jan 16 2009 02:09:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

nisheeth

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  09:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit nisheeth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I have been practicing Siddhasana for the past 8 months. Very early in the process, I was able to sit for up to an hour in Siddhasana with very little discomfort. However, at almost exactly the hour mark, I would begin to get sharp stabbing pains in my left ankle (the part that touches the ground), and would be unable to continue.

The troubling bit is that this has not changed, even though I sit in Siddhasana between 4-6 hours every day. Any suggestions would be dearly welcomed.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  09:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nisheeth
4-6 hours is a long time to sit in Siddhasana especially if your ankle is touching the ground.
Yogani recommends sitting on a bed for Siddhasana, it is essential to be comfortable in your posture so if you feel uncomfortable use an alternative method as has been described in previous posts in this thread.
These methods produce exactly the same results there is nothing lost by using other methods to stimulate the perineum.
Then you can practice sitting in Siddhasana outside of your practices until it is completely comfortable.
I don't think there are many people who can sit in this position comfortable for any long period of time on a hard surface so don't worry about it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000