AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Scripture education please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  10:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone give this ignorant westerner a brief run-down of the differences, history and subject matter of the great yoga related scriptures? I have read the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali a few times and recently bought the Bhagavad Gita and have started reading it, so I know about these.

Where do the vedas and upanishads etc. fit in to the equation? What are the recommended translations? Is there another great resource like any of the above that I am missing?

thanks,

Edited by - Anthem on Sep 24 2005 10:22:41 PM

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  5:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

Dont worry about vedas and upanishads. Those wont give you much to learn. I would instead suggest reading Swami Vivekananda's books if you really want to know about hindu spirituality. A lot can be learnt from his books. He is very much like our Yogani in being non-sectarian and in his love towards humanity.

Any indian would agree he is the greatest thing that has ever happened to india in terms of spirituality. He has awakened the masses into spirituality.

His complete works are available at this link

http://ramakrishnavivekananda.info

God might not always give you what you WANT, but he will always give you what you NEED
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  5:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me add, his works also include translation of all Yoga related scriptures like Vedas, upanishads and Gita and more. All explained in layman's terms

God might not always give you what you WANT, but he will always give you what you NEED
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  3:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Near for your reply and for this information, it is very helpful. I will move on the Vivekananda's work after I finish the Gita.

Anthem11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000