Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Can you overdo without adding anything new?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Did it ever happen to you to suddenly feel instability during the day even if you have not added any new practice and have been fully stable for months

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lili,
What is the nature of your instability? Do you feel restless? Nervous?? Impatient or irritable?
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paul,

Today I had a 'deeper' and more interesting meditation than usual followed by a 1.5 hr of sleep - not the usual thing again and now I feel detached from the program that I have to do during the day. The things I have to do appear distant and not urgent eventhough this is not the case. I was not having any such conditions for several months now since I stopped adding things and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

quote:
Originally posted by lucidinterval1

Lili,
What is the nature of your instability? Do you feel restless? Nervous?? Impatient or irritable?
Paul

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lili

The things I have to do appear distant and not urgent eventhough this is not the case. I was not having any such conditions for several months now since I stopped adding things and was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

Hi Lili,

you certainly can go deeper without adding anything new.

>> The things I have to do appear distant and not urgent eventhough this is not the case.

The change that is happening all makes sense, though it can seem strange. What happens is that you are getting a leg in two places, one, (heaven ?) the non-dual reality where not-a-bad-thing can ever happen (and is completely free of all of the stress and urgency), the other leg in this world, where things have to be done.

These two positions should just integrate naturally provided you just **do** what needs to be done. If and when you manage to keep a firm leg in both, you'll pull heaven into the earth, where it belongs.

In the meantime, you may just have to deal occasionally with a temporarily mild spaciness feeling. If you feel too uncomfortable with it, you can cut back a little on your practice.

Best regards,

-David

Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian
What happens is that you are getting a leg in two places, one, (heaven ?) the non-dual reality where not-a-bad-thing can ever happen (and is completely free of all of the stress and urgency), the other leg in this world, where things have to be done.

Hehehe this is so funny but it sounds like a correct description. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lili:

Yes, it can happen that we have new purification symptoms or breakthroughs in experience with no change in practices. This is what yoga will deliver in time at any fixed level of practice.

In your case, it is a sense of separateness, which is a good sign of rising inner silence in your nervous system. It will integrate and feel normal soon enough and you will be able to go about your daily activities effectively with a stronger inner center of stillness, and getting stronger all the time. Bravo for that!

It can also happen that we may have purification symptoms that are more than we'd like. In that case, we will be wise to self-pace our practices, even if we have not added anything on lately.

The car analogy can help with understanding self-pacing. If we are driving along at a fixed speed (our current practices) and the road (our purifying nervous system) becomes bumpy or goes into a sharp curve (uncomfortable purification symptoms), can we continue driving at the same speed? Not in a car without increased risk, and not with practices either. In both cases we let up on the gas a bit until the road smoothes out, and then we can speed up again. This is safe driving, and we are least likely to end up getting banged up too much.

I am happy to see self-pacing coming up here as a dedicated topic. It is so important, and I hope others will share their stories relating to self-pacing too. It does not matter how advanced we are. The regulation of practices is always central to what we are doing in yoga, just like the gas pedal is in the car. In fact, the faster we are going, the more we need to be aware of the fine points of self-pacing.

Self-pacing is not only a factor for beginners. It is the constant reality for everyone at every level, whether adding on new practices or not. It is at the heart of AYP, because here we do not have to spend most of our time looking for practices -- we spend our time applying them. That really brings self-pacing to the fore, and our accelerated progress along with it.

The guru is in you.

Yogani

Edit PS -- Hi David. We posted simultaneously. Right on the beam there. Carry on everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the comments! Totally sensible and clear on the need to back off in such cases.

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Lili:

It can also happen that we may have purification symptoms that are more than we'd like. In that case, we will be wise to self-pace our practices, even if we have not added anything on lately.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  3:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by yogani

Hi Lili:

Self-pacing is not only a factor for beginners. It is the constant reality for everyone at every level, whether adding on new practices or not. It is at the heart of AYP, because here we do not have to spend most of our time looking for practices -- we spend our time applying them. That really brings self-pacing to the fore, and our accelerated progress along with it.

The guru is in you.
Yogani

Hello there

Over the past few days circumstances have forced me to reluctantly cut down on the length of time allotted to my practices and even to cut some parts of my practice out.

The result has been quite astounding, my spinal conductivity has increased and my meditation has deepened.
I think this goes to prove that it is quite easy to overdo it just through enthusiasm even if you think that what you are doing is comfortable.

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000