Shivers up the spine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What about the common ordinary "shivers up the spine"? What's the yoga take on these?

I am sure everybody felt these. They happen when we are excited, or we are cold sometimes, or we have a pleasurable experience, or even when we urinate it can happen. It definately feels electric and it runs very quickly from the bottom of the spine to the head.

And, since we are at it, a related phenomenon: the goosebumps. Again, it is like shivers and quite electric. Again, pleasurable, or when we are surprised, etc.

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  4:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not felt much going up and down, but lately my butthole is vibrating a lot After I wrote that last statement I started laughing, I mean where else can you write you have a vibrating butthole and people know what you mean. Maybe the musically inclined on here can make a rock band called the vibrating buttholes and the first album, raise your kundalini.
i am love, i am peace, i am joy, i am funny if only to myself
i am your brother
i am neil
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey, great suggestion neil!

but still, you know what i mean right? Everybody feels this from time to time, no need for yoga or know about kundalini or anything. As a child I felt it often, in the wind, or something like that. People say stuff like "that music sent shivers up my spine" or "his look gave me goosebumps". That kind of ordinary every day things...still it is ecstasy, right?

I thought about this often, and, today, as I was doing some stretchings before sitting for meditation it happened, that nice cooling awakening shiver up the spine, as it was clearing up the system or something.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Udana vayu, I'd say (google it:) ). After k awakening it is changed into a strong ecstatic current that can lift you from the floor.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  5:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
personally I dont feel shivers in the spine much but sometimes I do feel something in the whole body, like a surge of energy being released, this I have felt for many years especially in deep states of unhapiness> I did not really think well about what you asked in your first post as I ahve felt goosebumps at times in my life. I felt them the other day when I heard some people singing when I went to do yoga, it was awesome.

as far as the rock band, last night I was sitting in the rocking chair and if I hit the arm of the chair, the base of the spine would vibrate because of that little jolt. It was like playing drums or something. Kind of funny
i am love, i am peace, i am joy
i am a vibrating butthole
i am neil
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  8:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Not only the "shivers up" but also the shivers down I have felt, while in meditation, and its wonderful when the shivers flow down, cause its Shiva's work. Anyway I like both ways, up and down. I also feel the electricity of the shivers, they are quite electrical.

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

What about the common ordinary "shivers up the spine"? What's the yoga take on these?

I am sure everybody felt these. They happen when we are excited, or we are cold sometimes, or we have a pleasurable experience, or even when we urinate it can happen. It definately feels electric and it runs very quickly from the bottom of the spine to the head.

And, since we are at it, a related phenomenon: the goosebumps. Again, it is like shivers and quite electric. Again, pleasurable, or when we are surprised, etc.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  12:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

I call it being cold...
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  10:03:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no...it is not being cold...

I am suprised because i think this is quite ordinary think taht happens to everybody. it can happen if you have a sudden breeze or something but not always. i can make it happen even at times. lately it happens to me if i breath deeply, usually the first pranayma breath and the feeling i have is of this electric jolt coming from the bottom of my spine up jerking my whole body and spreading through my whole body. maybe it conducts itself through teh fascia, that film of tissue between the skin and the organs. it is pleasurable and teh feeling i get is of a clearing of the system as it were, a quick opening. just wondering...
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  09:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I was getting this sensation last year when i was meditating more. Except it seemed to behave differently, like it would move about by itself rather than a quick "slither" upwards.

It's true it can come like goosebumps or in cold environments or listening to music or watching a tingling movie.

However, i get the impression from a few posts on this thread that some people are mistaking this with kundalini. Can we clear up this matter?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  7:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

The shiver up the spine sensation is caused by prana moving through the sushumna nadi. It is not called kundalini until it becomes a lot stronger. When there is a powerful current of energy moving up the spine, that would be called kundalini. This powerful current of energy can manifest in different ways, causing the body to oscilate, or shake, or causing the person to fall unconscious in an ecstatic trance.

I hope that helps to clear up the matter.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

seekingthelight

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  8:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit seekingthelight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can cause myself to feel this sensation pretty much at will by either listening to a song that causes a powerful emotional reaction in me (could be "positive" or "negative" emotions), by focusing on something that makes me feel loved, or simply by breathing in deeply and slowly, with full attention on the breath.

The last of the three techniques gives the most subtle results, and it becomes less and less obvious with every breath.
For me, the feeling isn't limited to the spine, it tends to go from somewhere around the hips and move up to the top of the head, moving through the entire torso and also most of the arms as it "spills out" at the shoulders. I can also direct it downwards, and all the way into the legs and feet.

When I was younger, and sometimes even now, on occasion when I urinate I feel a similar feeling in the body and it causes me to shake my torso involuntarily, especially in the upper back/shoulders.

All that being said, I don't know if there are any benefits or links to yoga in any of this? It just feels like a shiver and sometimes I get goosebumps, other times it feels as if I'm getting goosebumps but I don't..
I've never paid much attention to this until I spotted this thread, and now I'm curious if there's anything more to it.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
seekingthelight,

my experiences are similar. I think maybe they are universal. Well, in a way it has nothing to do with yoga, and somethign as everything does Like Christi says I think it's prana. I, liek you, also experience it in different occasions, but not at will. I also experience it when urinating many times. It is a pleasurable sensation and it seems to "clean" or "reset" the system somehow that is why I linked it to yoga and kundalini. But like Christi says, a full active kundalini must be stronger and more "constant" maybe. Hard to say. It is a good feeling though
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Kundalini gradually expands throughout the body to become ecstatic conductivity, and whole body ecstasy. These same movements of energy which start out as shivers up the spine, become rushes of energy going up the spine and out of the top of the head in a fountain. The ecstasy radiates outwards from the spine filling the whole body and going out beyond the body into the surrounding environment. I also find these rushes are not constant... at least not at first... but are triggered by certain events. Thoughts of the Divine, or our Ishta... thoughts about love as was mentioned above. Personally I find that they can be so strong at times that I cannot function. If it happens when I am driving then I have to pull over as it becomes difficult to concentrate on the road.

The expansion of prana into whole body ecstasy is a gradual process, so it is hard to say what is kundalini and what is not. But generally the term is used to refer to every aspect of expansion of prana in the body beyond it's normal functioning.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi! That is great.

So it seems to be the same thing but just milder: it is also triggered by certain events (similar to the ones you describe) and is ecstatic in nature. Hmm...looking forward to the whole fountain...may be tough to handle indeed...

I am currently facing an (old) tough block in the neck/head...energy pushing there...it takes months to clear and seems to go by stages. In meditation now I feel subtle cracklings in the head and scalp. There is definitely something happening there. Sometimes inverted yoga poses (irrigation to the head) seem to help. But overall one just has to use one's intuition with whatever is needed at any given moment.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  10:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

I have also felt a more powerful sensation seemingly moving by itself up and down the back and once or twice it went to my shoulders and down my arms a little. It always happened when i would think of God and i would feel happy. It is almost as if thinking of God in a faithful kind of way elicit the "shivers" and then they did their own thing. I remember when this first happened to me- i thought it was the cool and warm currents that are spoken of, and when i urinated it felt really good!

Anyway, do you think you are guru material Christi? I could do with a guru...
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi Christi,

I have also felt a more powerful sensation seemingly moving by itself up and down the back and once or twice it went to my shoulders and down my arms a little. It always happened when i would think of God and i would feel happy. It is almost as if thinking of God in a faithful kind of way elicit the "shivers" and then they did their own thing. I remember when this first happened to me- i thought it was the cool and warm currents that are spoken of, and when i urinated it felt really good!

Hi Gumpi,

Yes, thinking of the Divine activates kundalini in the body. Also called prayer. It is one of my favorite spiritual practices.

quote:
Anyway, do you think you are guru material Christi? I could do with a guru...

Unfortunately I am not. They say that when the time is right, your Guru will come to you. Good luck in finding one.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  9:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I am currently facing an (old) tough block in the neck/head...energy pushing there...it takes months to clear and seems to go by stages. In meditation now I feel subtle cracklings in the head and scalp. There is definitely something happening there. Sometimes inverted yoga poses (irrigation to the head) seem to help. But overall one just has to use one's intuition with whatever is needed at any given moment.

Hi Yogaislife,

In my experience, the best way to overcome blockages in the neck is with AYP practices:
spinal breathing, spinal bastrika, targetted bastrika, dynamic jalandhara with YMK, heart breathing, sambhavi mudra, kechari mudra etc.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

ch1llboy

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  03:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ch1llboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Signed up to join the discussion. took a few searches describing the experience to find you.

I don't practice yoga necessarily but learned meditation/deep relaxation technique in a high school drama class when I was 14. My mother made it her life goal to become self aware and practices yoga every morning. So I'd imagine I'm disposed to a state of mind that the technique came easy to. I practiced it in short moments until it became a base to which my mind & body could reset itself to. I was a competitive pool player and reset myself from the onslaught of stimulating interactions going on around me. I started feeling the "exhilaration" when I was 18. It became associated to thoughts of drawing energy from my surroundings upon a slow, easy inward breath. It was also weighted in the thought that I had the power to change and affect everything around me. When I was 24 a friend from highschool balanced my view. The power of the world made me who and what I am and I am just an agent of it. From that moment when I breathed out instead of visualizing letting out my negative energy, I visualized giving love and the decision that everything around me is real. It to me is the balance of the yin/yang.

I can call on the feeling easily now. It happens almost as second nature. just close my eyes and call it. I get long lasting waves of it flowing through me when I get in a mood of relaxed powerful happiness. such as now. It feels so good it reaffirms that everything is meant to be the way it is.

the only time it escapes me is when my energy is scattered by alcohol.

Edited by - ch1llboy on Feb 26 2010 04:20:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  05:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great to hear you ch1llboy.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  01:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an old topic but I'll add my .02$ anyways....

The shivers up the spine that YogaIsLife is speaking of are not kundalni!

This has happened to my all the time since i was a young child.

And it still continues today.

It's not kundalini, it's not prana.

It's some kind of electrical signal running up the spine.

It is dirty (electrical/without feeling) and fine. It's a zap. Not kundalini.

Anyways, YogaIsLife, if you're still around, i know what you're talking about. I don't think it's as common as you suggest. The expression "shivers up the spine" does not refer to this sensation, and in fact refers to a pranic sensation. It is always accompanied by some degree of ecstasy.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  09:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the crux of the matter(IMO)

It is one thing to get tuned into the body, but when can sensations just be sensations without some wording, explaination, description.?

Is it possible to be really out of tune and also really too tuned in?

Does every fart, rumble, jolt, and moment of ecsasty need commentary?

I cringed when I read this post because it is like a commentary that looks like to me that maybe someone is masturbating and I will offer my two cents that it is not with any electrical devices.

I am not big into masturbation-it is lonely, shallow in feeling..sometimes for me it is relaxing and I think it is ok from time to time to probe my own organ.and I refrain from thinking it is dirty...why is it any different than massaging my toes? Thank God my sexual desire is next to non existant.

And as far as that we "ALL ARE ONE"-
is it bad to touch yourself? I am not thinking of someone or mentally picturing any sexual thoughts..it is more like exploration of my own body.

IF the guru is in me--am I triggering this guru ALWAYS because the guru is in me?

If I touch myself once every blue moon is that an issue?

I came to this forum this morning just wondering.....if I would have caught myself....
and lo and behold......

I am not insensitive, although in the past I certainly have demonstrated that behavior toward others.I would not want to further aggitate anyone...is masterbating very occasional masterbating creating more suffering? I suppose so if I am having a subtle argument over what I think someone is offering up two cents.

How do people attain or strive to be non-sexual?

Is there something wrong HERE?

IS there something askew in my thinking and behavior?
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sage, you lost me there. completely

Masturbation?

What i see are people trying to unravel the inherent mysteries of life on Earth... and you see.... masturbation?

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, that was last nights non-smysterious, mystery...

and todays tears all the way home from Bloomington Indy to WV.

seriously draining.

gee=

I think I better rest a bit...self pace...order some AYP books since I have just finished a job.

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  7:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what?
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  08:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what? what?
Go to Top of Page

cecilnixxon

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  4:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I came here hoping to understand this sensation. In my case, I have experienced this since early childhood. It is volitional... I "intend" a deep relaxation in my lower spine, and almost immediately I feel an explosion of electrical or tickling sensation that radiates from my lower spine. I always feel the sensation down my legs and up my spine as if the core of my nervous system is blasting out energy. It is almost a spasm, and only lasts as long as I focus on keeping the weird relaxation intact. I can actually hold this state for many seconds but I eventually have to stop as it tickles me to the point of distraction. I understand the basics of yoga but I am by no means adept nor practicing. What the heck am I feeling?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000