Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 spinal breathing and evolution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In the Kriya yoga tradition of Paramahansa Yogananda it is said that "circulating" the life force up and down the spine creates approximate conditions of evolution. So, for example, one rotation up and down is a years worth of evolution. The idea is that by doing 1728 (something like this) of proper circulations that a person gains samadhi. In contrast to an average person's life, yogananda says an average person needs a million years of healthy living to reach self-realisation.

So my question is simple. Why doesn't AYP take this into consideration?

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  3:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

Well, ayp does include spinal breathing right and I'm sure it is similar to the one from the kriya yoga tradition.

With all due respect to Yogananda, undoubtedly one of the most important east to west yogi's, not everything that he espoused is still considered correct today. I'm thinking largely about the effects on Carbon dioxide and am sure this number (1728) would fall into a similar category.

Yogani wants to take a scientific approach to these methods, so can you imagine if he stated that exactly 1728 proper circulations were necessary to achieve self-realization. A lot of us would be bombarding the forum with posts stating that we have done exactly 1728, and no samadhi yet, so what figures yogani? Are you a scam? etc....

The truth is that karma seems to be unfathomable especially from a macro perspective. Who knows, how long it will take and how many rounds of practices it will take before a practitioner will be back home. There are also cases of Eckhart tolle or even Ramana Maharishi, who didn't do any rounds and are/were self-realized.

The evolutionary impact of the practices is considered by ayp as it has been discussed that the practices are purifying our body and basically removing karmic obstructions. I have noticed that Yogani doesn't make a lot of unverifiable proclamations (i.e, an average person needs a million years of healthy living....) and I think we might all be better off because of this.

I'm comfortable with ayp and believe that Yogani has taken enough potent practices from various systems and integrated them in a way which most of us can benefit greatly from. Also note, this doesn't preclude us from flaming the fires of our bhakti by reading inspirational accounts such as Yogananda's Auto. of a Yogi...

just my opinion.

take care,
eitherway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000