Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation & Visualization
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I stumbled upon this website recently by sheer coincidence and have been quite "hooked". The information contained here is astonishing both in its depth and the simplicity with which it has been communicated. My deepest gratitude to Yogani - for the content, as well as the community that this website has spawned.

Traditionally, I have meditated using a mantra and following a breath rhythm. Inhale on the first word, exhale on the second. In reading one of Yogani's posts, I realized this is mixing Pranayama and meditation, and may be counterproductive; his reasoning was sound. But, in practice, it is hard to let go of old habits and if I let go of the breath "crutch", I feel I need visualization as an aid to hold the mantra in my runaway mind. Is this wrong? Would I be on the wrong path? I have spent much time on inconsistent practices, and would like to follow the tested AYP way to the extent possible. I welcome your insight. Many thanks.

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  9:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila, Welcome to the forums and AYP

Visualization is not needed for holding the mantra in AYP and infact is a distraction. Also in some practices, they locate the mantra on heart, chakras etc... which is also not required in AYP.

If visualization or location of mantra occurs during meditation, then simply treat it as any other thought and gently come back to the mantra. One suggestion that helped me a lot is "Be pro-mantra than anti-thought. Dont try to push away the thought but instead when thoughts come, try repeating the mantra". A good meditation is more pro-mantra than anti-thought (or anti-distraction).

So let all the visualizations, thoughts, distractions be there, keep your goal on saying an I AM after another I AM and on and on

- Near
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nearoanoke

Hi Sheila, Welcome to the forums and AYP
Thanks!!

Visualization is not needed for holding the mantra in AYP and infact is a distraction. Also in some practices, they locate the mantra on heart, chakras etc... which is also not required in AYP.

If visualization or location of mantra occurs during meditation, then simply treat it as any other thought and gently come back to the mantra. One suggestion that helped me a lot is "Be pro-mantra than anti-thought. Dont try to push away the thought but instead when thoughts come, try repeating the mantra". A good meditation is more pro-mantra than anti-thought (or anti-distraction).

So let all the visualizations, thoughts, distractions be there, keep your goal on saying an I AM after another I AM and on and on

I tried your suggestion this morning and it felt clunky, but did work somewhat. It is much harder to unlearn, and I thank you for your support.

- Near

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  3:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila,

Your last reply appeared inside the quote marks. If you want to edit it you can click on the edit post button above your post (pad and pencil), select the text of your reply, then press control x, move your mouse to below the [/quote] marker and press control v. Then click "post changes".

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Sheila

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  3:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi - very sorry - I am new to the website and these posts, and technologically challenged as well!

thank you for the pointers.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4382 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  04:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sheila,

I forgot to say: Welcome to the forum.

quote:
Traditionally, I have meditated using a mantra and following a breath rhythm. Inhale on the first word, exhale on the second. In reading one of Yogani's posts, I realized this is mixing Pranayama and meditation, and may be counterproductive; his reasoning was sound. But, in practice, it is hard to let go of old habits and if I let go of the breath "crutch", I feel I need visualization as an aid to hold the mantra in my runaway mind. Is this wrong? Would I be on the wrong path? I have spent much time on inconsistent practices, and would like to follow the tested AYP way to the extent possible. I welcome your insight. Many thanks.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong in using visualizations as a support for a while if you want to break the habit of linking your mantra to the breath. After a while it will become natural and you can drop the visualizations. Ultimately it is best to end up with practices which are as simple and effective as possible, as you can go much further with them.

Many yogis do link the mantra to the breath, it is quite normal in India. It is not a bad thing. AYP deep meditation does not link the mantra with the breath in order to avoid problems when natural breath suspension occurs.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000