AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Starting Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  06:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I have a question regarding Samyama. Can I start it with my own set of sutras.

Currently I am concerned about the truth about death, fear and also love or feelings for a particular person. I tried samyama on this sutras and it was very powerful. I had to rest a lot and still am a bit hazy.

Is it ok to use particular sutras that mean something to us? I read Samyama book by yogani and I understand we can do this if we have specific needs but should this be done only later after we stabilize his suggested approach or there is no need for this. I just feel a certain urgency in certain topics, more than others. Maybe I shouldn't.

Thanks.

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife

This has been discussed in the folowing thread
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=3964#3964

and answered more specifically by Yogani here
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3964#34166

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  09:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife

quote:
Can I start it with my own set of sutras.

quote:
Is it ok to use particular sutras that mean something to us?

The links Sparkle quoted are very informing. I can only speak from my own experience and you should know that I have only practised Samyama since April/May....I am no expert. But after reading the links, you might consider this:

The sutras Love, Radiance, Unity, Health, Strength, Abundance, Wisdom, Inner sensuality, Akash - lightness of Air
are all aspects of our true nature. One sutra may seem different from another on the surface particular "meaning" of it - but to me......they all mean the same thing:

Infinite Being expressing

The sutras are as such already united.....they constitute a perfect circle.....all 9 sutras together..... is itself one complete sutra.......
I guess this perception comes from the fact that it is the 15 seconds between the words that is the source of their expression to begin with.

Therefore.....substituting with my own sutras as a replacement of these over longer periods of time......is not necessary. It might be relevant in particular situations - but not as a core practise. I am not saying you should never use your own sutras.....I am no expert on these either ......just that the potential outcome of the 9 already given is awsome.

It is my experience that if I stick with the 9 sutras - the actions that follow during daily life will present me with situations that are designed to teach me how to release further......how to know that death is life. All Karma in life has this potential! In other words: It is not I that decide what my greatest interests are at any moment. It is not my many desires that are to be fulfilled. Only the one desire that draws me into merging with the devine and vice versa. I may feel curious about a lot of things; but the more quiet I am inside, the more obvious it becomes that it is - at any point in any time - the exact present situation that holds whatever wisdom there is to imbibe.

So - if your intention is to understand about death, fear and love - then it is enough that whenever thoughts about these come up in daily life, you release them into silence there and then.....trusting that no ear is more receiving...more embracing.... than that of our source. Then - during the actual practise of Samyama - you do the 9 sutras. Now the understanding will come through living.

As such any moment is gold.

Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  7:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So wonderful Katrine. I feel truly blessed to be sharing this time and practice with you and others which have such gifts to offer. This moment IS golden.

Love to all,
Jill

Edited by - jillatay on Sep 06 2008 7:45:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  10:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Jillatay

quote:
I feel truly blessed to be sharing this time and practice with you and others which have such gifts to offer

Ditto!

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  5:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi YogaIsLife

If you feel drawn to use your own sutras, then go for it! You will still get good results.

Katrine stated this much more beautifully, but the 9 sutras Yogani chose are complete in themselves. They cover such a broad spectrum of inner qualities that there is nothing missing. I suspect this is why Yogani chose them.

Either way, you should get great results
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  2:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for all the great hints.

Hey Katrine, great post and advice. I think you might be right in doing a systematic approach and then deal in any given moment where some special doubt or inclination comes to deal with it there and then. The thing is, as I am sure a lot of people may feel the same, I sometimes feel like the proverbial kid in the candy store regarding samyama as I am very curious and willing to understand a lot of things

I also appreciate what cosmic troll says in using our own set of sutras. At least they have more meaning to us, right? They seem to speak deeper in our souls at any given time.

Well, I guess I'll have to think about it a little more before I decide what practice to take.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000