AYP Helpers
 Calling All INDIA Practitioners!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  2:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

As you may know, after few years of effort, we managed to get all of the AYP books into print in India Editions about a year ago.

While the over all demand for the India editions was fair for the first year, it has waned during recent months and our distribution channels are losing interest in carrying the books. This has placed some hardship on our generous supporters in New Delhi who undertook this project out of their own pocket. We are looking for ways to keep the India editions in print and available over the long term.

If you are in India and are interested in seeing the AYP books continue to be available there, we need your help.

Things you can do to help are:

1. Buy the books online - they are listed on the AYP books page under each title, available though FirstandSecond.com (F&S), the largest online book store in India.

2. Ask your local book store to order the books for you. They can be obtained by stores from distributor Variety Book Depot at varietybookdepot@rediffmail.com , or direct from the publisher, Grasroutes at http://www.grasroutes.com/html/yoga.html . Both are in New Delhi. Or you can write me directly and I will make sure you are able to find the books.

3. Tell your yoga friends about the AYP India editions, and help them obtain them.

4. Order the AYP India editions via the Quantity Discount Program direct from the publisher at http://www.grasroutes.com/html/yoga.html , or from me at yogani99@yahoo.com . You can give the books away to anyone you feel would have interest, or resell them of you like.

5. Offer suggestions and/or direct help for securing long term and stable publishing and distribution for the AYP India editions. We have eight AYP titles in print in India (soon to be nine). This is a good start, far beyond the "idea" stage. We are open to any suggestions or solutions that can help carry the India editions forward. More needs to be done to assure the longevity of the books. It cannot be carried on the shoulders of one or two people. So please help.

There are many from India who visit the AYP website and support forums, which are free, as you know. It is hoped we can translate your interest into action to help make the AYP writings more available in India through the reasonably priced India editions.

The AYP books add new dimensions and clarity on integrated practices and experiences, reaching well beyond the free online writings. Plus, the AYP books can be kept near at hand for easy reference.

India is where the knowledge of yoga began. The desire is to send the efficient AYP approach back to Mother India as an offering of gratitude. It is the least we can do.

The demand for the AYP writings continues to grow steadily in the Americas and Europe. It is my hope that we can also inspire and support increasing interest in self-directed spiritual practice in India and throughout Asia.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

ajna

India
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  02:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ajna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the delayed response. I just saw this post. To start with i have bought many of the AYP books thru AYPsite and diesel ebooks. I made my brother to buy one book atleast. I have put a word to some of my colleagues as well. According to me, the problem in India is general public are more comfortable doing yoga in the presence of a Guru (like Sri Sri Ravishankar, Esha yoga foundation etc. to name a few) and they may not be very comfortable with free-lance yoga practice. But having said that India has a strong two million plus information technology workforce (iam one among them) who will be very much tuned towards free-lance yoga, as they are used to free-lance software. I will think about how to address this market and let you know. Ideas from others are welcome as well.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  12:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ajna:

Many thanks. Yes, it would be wonderful to reach the many in India who are forward-looking in applied science. Yoga is science too, and there is great potential for improved applications.

A new era of self-directed spiritual practice is emerging worldwide and there is no reason why India cannot be a leader in it. You would think India has an advantage in this, but long-time traditions can present inertia that resists change for sure.

I believe that eventually many in India will press ahead into a renaissance of spiritual practice based on results rather than by-rote repeating of the cycles of the past. An optimized blend of old and new is needed -- sound applications of cause and effect in practices on the basis of individual experience. Then there will be a clear path to enlightenment for everyone.

Feel free to point others to this topic for further discussion. We are looking for a "core group" of spiritual innovators to emerge in India. I have great hope for it.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

venkym

India
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit venkym's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say that Advanced Yoga as espoused by you may not go down well with indians in general. One of the reasons is the reluctance to practice and exert onself. But there should be many who would really love an oppurtunity for authentic spiritual yoga practice. I would also like to start a community of like minded people in India.
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think Indians are reluctant to practice and exert themselves? It has nothing to do with nationality.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Venkym and welcome!

Wishing you all the best in your efforts to inspire independent practitioners in India. May many take personal responsibility for their spiritual unfoldment. There is no one else who can do it for us.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

venkym

India
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit venkym's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maximus- Its true that most people will be reluctant to try an authentic spiritual practice in most cultures and not just in India. Unfortunately over here our great spiritual history has become ossified into mindless traditions. Over the years I have not found any one advocating or practising authentic spirituality and had to guide my practice through books alone. That is why I wish there were such an authentic community here in India where true seekers can find guidance and friendship. Maybe they exist but are not visible and have not come together yet.

Please let me know if you have had a different experience.
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  05:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been delaying the purchase of the books for whatever reason. For last few weeks, i have been trying to purchase them all at First&Second.com website. but they were renevating their website so i had to wait a while. Finally, i have managed to place the order last week. The order is still being processed. I am eagerly awaiting the books :)

Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing we could do is send the site URL to all our friends in India. that may help ppl to visit the site and if they are interested they can buy the books. Let me start with mine :)
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  2:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a magazine or newspaper might be interested in writing an article on how the west is reinventing yoga and sending it back to India. Previously, I think, there has been anyonce that westerners have only taken hatha yoga out of all the yogas compromising the true yoga tradition. AYP however includes all the yogas and all limbs. That could potentialy be an angle. Also the fact that Yogani has aproached the topic so analyticly and that it is such an open aproach might be something they would find interesting to write about.

The Bihar school of yoga is very open minded and interested in developing yoga further. They are also a lot more positive to some of the developments brought on by westerners than many other yogis (altough they are also very traditional in some ways). I think they could be contacted and invited to check out the site and sent their own free copies of the books to see if they find anything interesting in it. THey might also have some constructive feedback.

The same thing I think could be possible with Desikachar.

Otherwise I would suppose dropping the name in web forums were yoga is discussed in India might be helpfull

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  3:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Markern, and All:

These two articles appeared in the Hindustan Times (one of the largest newspapers in India) in 2004 and 2005: http://www.aypsite.org/hindustan.html

They are further discussed here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1891

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

I have bought and am using nearly all your books for the last one year, including the "fat one", but except the "Wilder" book which I have asked my local bookshop to get. I have also recommended your books and teachings to at least a dozen people who have taken them up seriously.Most of the "gurus" in India teach yoga only for health and not for spirituality. The spirituality gurus mainly focus on the Gita or the Ramayana,and urge people to become saintly if they seek liberation, and don't really instruct people on "Spiritual Practices".
Yours are the only teachings that describe Spirituality as "scientific", and directly related to our Neurobiology and within reach of the average person who does not have to become "sinless", as a pre-requisite to becoming spiritual! I think India will have a huge number of people interested in AYP.

Krish

Edited by - krcqimpro1 on Dec 28 2009 12:05:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Krish:

Many thanks. Very happy to hear this. We owe much to the rich spiritual heritage of India, and are fortunate to have an opportunity to return a practical distillation of knowledge that can be used by anyone in India to enrich everyday life.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

anillsinha

India
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I received the shipment for 6 books of AYP Enlightenment Series from First and Seconds. I wanted to get the 'Eight Limbs of Yoga' book also. But I find that the Indian Edition is not listed in the site of either First and Seconds or Grassroutes. Is it out of print?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anillsinha

Yesterday I received the shipment for 6 books of AYP Enlightenment Series from First and Seconds. I wanted to get the 'Eight Limbs of Yoga' book also. But I find that the Indian Edition is not listed in the site of either First and Seconds or Grassroutes. Is it out of print?

Hi anillsinha:

Sorry, the Eight Limbs of Yoga book is not out in paperback in India yet. Unlike in the Americas and Europe, economical "print-on-demand" publishing has not been available in India so far, so books have to be printed in quantity, stored and distributed, which is expensive and time-consuming. The sale of AYP books in India has not been enough to support the additional up-front costs for publishing Eight Limbs (or additional upcoming books) the old-fashioned way, so we are waiting for sales to catch up, or for economical print-on-demand to become available there. It is expected that print-on-demand will be available in India sooner or later. Technology marches on!

In the meantime, all of the AYP books are available in non-DRM PDF ebook format worldwide. You can find the Eight Limbs of Yoga ebook available for direct download from AYP here: http://www.aypsite.org/books-xdirdownload.html

Note: The AYP books will become available in additional ebook formats (non-DRM ePub and Mobi) over the next 6-12 months to support all e-readers and tablet computers, including the Apple iPad. The AYP books are on the Amazon Kindle now, though needing a bit of format clean-up. Kindle books can also be obtained and read on the iPad.

If anyone here is familiar with the status of paperback print-on-demand publishing in India, feedback and suggestions are welcome. What we are looking for is something similar to the set-up we are using in the Americas and Europe, here: www.lightningsource.com
It works very well for on-demand printing and distribution through the major channels, with very little up-front cost or ongoing administration required.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

anillsinha

India
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  06:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

I searched 'print on demand india' in google and found the following links of organizations who are offering the service in India:

http://pothi.com/pothi/pothicom-publishers
http://cinnamonteal.dogearsetc.com/
http://www.suntecindia.com/data-ent...mand-pdf.htm

I do not know how they compare with prices of conventional printing in India and on-demand printing in America. But surely they deserve a look.

I hope it helps.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anillsinha:

Many thanks for the feedback. Looks like good progress for print-on-demand publishing has been occurring in India over the past few years. When we first started looking in 2005, there was none.

The piece that is still missing is direct connections and automatic fulfillment through major distribution channels -- print-on-demand ordered by and shipped direct to online booksellers and physical distributors, according to demand they see at the retail level. It is coming. This is how it works in the Americas and Europe. It is very efficient and cost-effective for all parties concerned.

We will be making a decision on this in 6-12 months, when the next two AYP books are coming out. When we address these in India, we will also begin shifting publishing of all the AYP books to print-on-demand there, preferably with automatic fulfillment through major distribution channels.

The Eight Limbs of Yoga book will go straight to print-on-demand publishing, along with the two new books (AYP Easy Lessons Vol 2 and Liberation).

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste,
In India and every book you read about learning advanced practice, it emphasizes to practice in front or presence of a guru. I have been reading,learning and practicing through books all these years.

In the west, people have all the basic needs satisfied and still they want more. This want for more may turn them to negative things(like drugs) or good things like spirituality. When they turn to spirituality, they look for Gurus and swamis. The swamis and guru often visit USA and hence they get a chance to meet them and get initiation. As part of the initiation it is emphasized that not to share these techniques. I don't fully understand why?

I believe in India, people are more ritualistic than spiritual and that is the problem. People go to sadhus,saints and swamis to solve their mundane life issues. These swamis tell them to do certain rituals and the problem gets solved probably and thereafter the person becomes a follower. This person then tells the other person how this sadhu is so magical and powerful and how with his grace he has a stable job, son got married, daughter got married, his illness got cured etc. So the following expands. Thats it. There are really very few in the crowd who are true seekers but they cannot see if the swami is a realized or enlightened to guide him.

I am so happy and blessed to finally find this forum,feel like kicking myself why did I not find this sooner. I have never found such detailed instructions on kechari mudra before. Even the book on Kriya yoga just mentions them on the surface and is so disappointing.

So why did i not find this site before, maybe i was not ready, maybe that was how it was supposed to be. But how did I find this site? Through search on the internet. Bingo!

I run a small software company and sell my products online and one thing i am sure now is that no matter how good your product or site be, if you cannot be found on the net, then nobody will know about it.

I believe same could be applied to ayp, increased presence on the web, more exposure to yoga journals and magazines etc will surely get lot of attention of the right people.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  11:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi njethwa, and welcome.

Yes, the internet offers great opportunities for the recording and sharing of practical spiritual knowledge. It has been the lack of such communication tools that has kept knowledge limited and divided (sectarian) in the past. Those who came before certainly have done the best they could with the tools available, but all too often the result has been "personality cult" rather than open availability of applied knowledge. The cultures of the world are still doing it the old-fashioned way. But times are changing...

There are two shifts going on:

1. Increasing open availability of effective practices for cultivating the natural process of human spiritual transformation. AYP is only one symptom of this trend, which has been emerging and accelerating over the past 100+ years (see Lesson 253).

2. A growing recognition that the center of all spiritual development is found in each and every individual, not outside in a teacher or system of practices, no matter how capable. All spiritual knowledge is a reflection of what exists in each of us. The knowledge is only as good as its ability to enhance the natural process of purification and opening within us. Teachers and systems of practice are for serving the people in this endeavor, which every person is free to undertake according to their own inner spark of awakening (bhakti).

So here we are, with wonderful communications, powerful spiritual tools, and a growing awareness of the role of every human being on the planet being the doorway to the divine.

If you would like to use your technical skills to help make applied spiritual knowledge more visible to the the world-at-large, feel free to do so. Many hands make light work.

Let's do it!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Yogani.

One humble suggestion would be to add a blog section on your site where you and some of the realized and experienced people can post small snippets or detailed articles. I can help set that up, infact setting up is probably just a one click process if your webhosting supports it.

The forum is probably not readily google friendly (all forum software are built that way because of the dynamic nature) so one task after setting up the blog would be to post few lines on the blog with a link back to the forum. Initially this could be a manual effort for all the older posts. But for newer posts, it could be automated.

Making google and other search engine friendly will tremendously increase the traffic and make it available to a large audience.

The blog could be setup on a different domain or as a sub-directory, I prefer a new domain.

Let me know if you like this idea and would like to go forward with it.

I am greatly obliged with only few days of reading and it would add some good karma if i can be of any assistance.

Namaste!
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  1:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

Is there a way of "sorting" the members list of AYPers to obtain just their co-ordinates?

Krish
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi njethwa:

Actually, we are in pretty good shape with Google and the other search engines. Both the forums and the main website (lessons) are continuously site-mapped for Google, and about 50% of all traffic comes through the search engines. For traffic stats and history, see the "traffic" link on the top menu of the main website.

As far as blogging goes, these forums fill that need for many who wish to share and interact on spiritual practices and experiences. It has become a vast knowledge base here, above and beyond the AYP lessons and books, and growing all the time.

Some here have started their own blogs, which can be found under "AYP related" in the links section of the main website. There are also a dozen on-going translations of AYP into other languages, which have spawned spin-off activities on the web.

AYP also has a presence on Facebook (by others), Myspace, and Youtube (very active). Links for those can be found near the bottom of the left border on any page of the website and forums.

Then there is the real-world stuff -- meditation groups, hands-on training, retreats, research, etc., all on the upswing. See the contacts list on the main website, which is in very early stages of formation.

It goes on and on ... as it should.

Everything related to AYP has been evolving from rudimentary to gradually more sophistication. So it goes, with each step leading to the next. Obviously, there is a limit to what I can do here, but there is no limit to what everyone else can do. That is what I encourage, for everyone to reach out as so inclined through their own channels. And keep in touch here, as desired.

As you get your practices into long term stable daily mode, and with inner silence and ecstatic conductivity steadily coming up, doors will open pointing to what can happen next. Then just walk through. It is becoming like water flowing downhill. Stillness in action....

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by krcqimpro1

Yogani,

Is there a way of "sorting" the members list of AYPers to obtain just their co-ordinates?

Krish

Hi Krish:

By clicking the column top labels on the member list, you can sort by any of them. You won't get more than country that way, and not everyone has country listed, but you can get an idea about who is in India, and contact them through the forum email service.

A good place to start would be to get in touch with those in India who have been active in the forums. Quite a few these days.

India is a big project, one with huge potential for self-directed spiritual practice on a mass scale. It is fitting that knowledge of the practical application of yoga should travel full circle, from east, to west, to east. It's the least we can do, to bring the precious knowledge we have learned to use back to mother.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thanks. Sending emails to each (even active ) member would be too laborious.
Instead, I thought the easier way(suggested by Carson), perhaps, is posting a msg. on the Satsang forum, which I have just done.
Let me see the response.
Krish
Go to Top of Page

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani. I did not realize the site is so huge with resources and I am glad it has a strong presence. I am like the blind person who tried to gauge an elephant by just touching its trunk :)

Namaste
Nilesh
Go to Top of Page

Rajeev Sethi

India
50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2014 :  03:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Let's interact and make the India section more active? Any suggestions on how to do it?

Edited by - Rajeev Sethi on May 07 2014 03:52:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000