AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Reply Topic - Newcomer Intro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  10:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
All members are encouraged to create new and original topics in the AYP forums. There is no limit on the number of topics that can be put here.

It has been decided to keep the forum introductory posts by Yogani locked and without replies so they can continue to serve as a simple entry point to the AYP forums for all who visit.

In order to accommodate those who would like to reply to Yogani's introductions, they have been copied in unlocked topics (like this one) that can be replied to and will "float" up and down the list with all the other topics.

Here is the introduction to this forum, available for replies:

yogani
USA
49 Posts
Posted - Jul 10 2005 : 10:08:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one is an expert in yoga, and at the same time everyone is.

This is because we all have the same divine source, and the same evolutionary potential for enlightenment. Yet, none of us knows "everything" there is to know about the means for cultivating the greatness within us. It is only a matter of degree, you know. Some of us have been doing the yoga and spiritual practices thing a very long time. Some of us may be just coming on to practices for the first time. It does not matter. We all can pick up and go from right where we are.

What matters most is how we feel about it -- about the journey. Are we ready to "give it a go?" If so, that feeling alone (your feeling) will make all the difference.

If you have that feeling, you are in a place where a lot of helpful information and support can be found. Do take advantage.

If you are new to yoga or AYP, the best place to start is at the beginning of the AYP lessons. You can find the main lessons at www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html

Here you will find easy-to-follow instructions on deep meditation and many other yoga practices. In these forums all of these practices are discussed from the point of view of many practitioners. That can be very helpful to develop perspective on the particulars of practice, and on where yoga can lead us.

While the title of the lessons and these forums is "Advanced Yoga Practices," the progression is such that someone brand new to yoga can learn the essentials and gradually build up over time to a powerful routine of daily spiritual practices. This is true for all who come to AYP, even some who have been doing practices for many years. There is an openly available integration of practices in AYP that is unheard of anywhere else. So, there is something here for just about everyone.

If you'd like a helping hand here in the forum -- a few pointers and some encouragement -- just put your reflections, questions or concerns right there in the Satsang Cafe. Someone who knows something about yoga and AYP will be happy to help you out in a jiffy.

Whatever your chosen path may be, I wish you all success as you continue forward. May your life be filled with divine light and joy!

The guru is in you.

nobody

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit nobody's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi to all,
First, I want to say that I've read AYP lessons (most of them) several months ago, this was my first "experience" with yoga. I find them very interesting and as you may expect - start meditating.
It was new, good, relaxing, very easy to do it. There was one moment (after 2 week or so), in my daily activity when I feel different, like I was more here/now than ever! It was just for a second but I can't forget it. So that... clearly things where going well.
But then I have some problems, not related with my spiritual life, and stoped meditating for a few months. Now things are OK, and I start again , but it's not the same...when the meditation deepen I find it difficult to repeat "I AM", it was so good to just doing nothing, not even repeat the mantra, there is a moment that I have to force myself to keep repeating it... and I did not like this.
Then I've try other meditation....just watching without doing nothig. I watch the body, feelings, breath, mind ... U now what I'm talking about.
Now things starts happening again. 3 weeks ago, during meditation I stop breathing for some time, maybe 2-3 seconds, this was the most beautiful 3 second in my life, I was fully aware of what's happening, there is no mind, no fear, it was just... (there is no word for it!). If this is death I'm gonna kill myself now (joke, or maybe not!)
I was thinking that this is it, I was hope to experience this moment again and again during meditation but so far this remains the only case.
Yesterday, 21-st, (fullmoon), I have Kechari symptoms, when meditating , my tongue slowly start moving back, without toching upper side of the mouth, and then when this happen (touching the upper side)i feel like never before, like the Sun, I feel like I was radiating energy from the heart, it was absolute joy but different that the prevois time when not breathing.
Today it happens again but in some other way and the tongue try to move more back, it was great. I hope tomorow will be the same...
The "problem" is this: I meditate (for "second" time after the pause), for about only 1.5 months (from 10.06), and only once per day, but for a longer period. I did'n mean it to be that long, but it just happens.
In the beginig I try to do only for a 20 min, but it's too short time, I just start to go deep and already must finish...?!
Now when meditating I dont care about the time, I just now that I feel when I'm done, so... this 20 min become 35-40, and last few days are 60!
I want to say that I feel great, in everyday life all is better than before, I have no problems at all, but when I read the lessons I think "how is possible?" maybe I'm push myself without knowing it? Is there a chance to have problems in future? How much meditation should i do, is there a limit?
I feel it so naturaly, I don't do nothing at all, things just happen, 60min? so what?, the time realy dont matter to me, but I don't now nothig about yoga and meditation yet!
Please some comments...

/offtopic
english is not my maternal language, sorry if there is misunderstanding

Edited by - nobody on Jul 22 2005 1:10:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  1:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nobody

Hi to all,
First, I want to say that I've read AYP lessons (most of them) several months ago, this was my first "experience" with yoga. I find them very interesting and as you may expect <SNIP> Please some comments...

Hello nobody (oh c'mon, call yourself nobody in your ID, but you can sign off with a better handle than that -- can be entirely fictional you know... ),

congratulations on starting yoga/meditation. You have come to the right place if you want all of the top tools in meditation.

Your post brings up quite a number of issues, and it is difficult to respond to them all in one sitting. So I'll look at one or two and maybe respond more later, if I get a chance.

>> Now things starts happening again. 3 weeks ago, during meditation I stop breathing for some time, maybe 2-3 seconds, this was the most beautiful 3 second in my life, I was fully aware of what's happening, there is no mind, no fear, it was just... (there is no word for it!). If this is death I'm gonna kill myself now (joke, or maybe not!)

This experience is called 'Savikalpa Samadhi' -- you had it for three seconds. Congratulations. It's a sort of preview of an experience that can eventually become life-long.

So, let me say something very general that covers a number of your issues. You seem to be developing a common pattern of having a particular experience, judging it as good, then coming back to your meditation looking for that experience again.

You are over-analyzing. Totally normal in the beginning. Give that habit up. Your whole mind-body keeps changing, and all sorts of hidden and unmeasurable factors determine how a given meditation will be.

If you want to really evaluate anything, evaluate the moving average of the affect of meditation on your life. And as you are saying, that is indeed good for you, so you are doing well. But don't get up from your seat and say 'That was a good meditation today --- I wonder why' or 'Today was bad, I wonder why', or also don't sit down and think to yourself 'Hmmmm, maybe I can make that cool thing which happened last time happen again'. If you do that you'll just set up bad habits which will get in your way in time.

Now specifically with regard to your question on extending your meditation to beyond 20 minutes, there is a pretty complete answer to your question here:

http://www.aypsite.org/193.html

Best regards,

-david

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jul 22 2005 2:49:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

nobody

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  02:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nobody's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
10x for the notes David, I will wait for more of your comments later.
I know exactly what you mean when you say "over-analyzing", I will do my best to avoid this, to be clear, when I say "hope", it's a realy hope, not expectation, if happens - ok, if not - ok, who cares? I'm just starting after all...
Somewhere I've read that there is no "good" or "bad" meditation session, your post confirm this again.

When I've first read about Samadhi and especially about Kechari, I've think "Hell yeah, this must be in the <Only for maniacs> section ", and now start happen to me?...It's just interesting.

Thanks again and don't forget the updates ; )

Edited by - nobody on Jul 23 2005 08:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000