New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Wise Ones,

Just to let you know I have started my gradual transition towards living on divine light as promised in another thread. I have decided to start off slowly, gradually cutting things out of my diet, until I am living on a very pure satvic diet. Then I will reduce my calorific intake until I am being nourished by a mixture of prana, sunlight, and pure divine light.

I have decided to start by cutting heavy and toxic foods out of my diet. I stopped eating meat and fish 22 years ago. Now I have also stopped consuming caffine, chocolate, alcohol and fried foods. I have also started eating twice a day instead of three times, and I have stopped having snacks between meals. I am going to make a gradual transition towards my new form of sustenance, without putting any artifitial time limits on how long it should take.

I wanted to write regular updates in this thread to keep anyone interested informed about how I get on.
Also, if anyone has been through the transition already and has any advice that might help me, please post it here, or send me a personal email.

Love and light

Christi

p.s. I must strongly advise anyone reading this not to try this practice, as you could just get thin and die, which really defeats the whole point of the exercise.

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  10:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Best of luck to you. Be sure to find some reputable scientists to validate the results if you are successful, it could be a boon to world consciousness if you are.

Wondering if you plan to practice "sun-gazing" during this process or maybe you already do?

A
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

p.s. I must strongly advise anyone reading this not to try this practice, as you could just get thin and die, which really defeats the whole point of the exercise.

Hi Christi:

Wishing you the best in your exploration. Do keep us posted.

It should also be pointed out that there is no procedure in the AYP writings for discontinuing food consumption on a long term basis. It is touched on in several places in the Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli book, including in the sections on fasting, avoiding obsessive "flights of fancy" in practice, and the importance of favoring balance via self-pacing in all that we undertake in yoga.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: Also, this lesson might be helpful:
http://www.aypsite.org/167.html

Let the divine inner light shine!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  2:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the book "Aghora" it's mentioned that to advance spiritually on should control or eliminate food, sex and sleep. It says reducing food or sex will reduce the need for sleep. But that's not my experience. I can go without sex and little food but the sleep is always the same. I would like to know your experience regarding sleep. It would be nice if I can go by with just 4hours sleep a day (as opposed to 7-8 hours now). That gives so much more time for other practices.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  05:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem
quote:
Hi Christi,

Best of luck to you. Be sure to find some reputable scientists to validate the results if you are successful, it could be a boon to world consciousness if you are.

I am already drawing up a list of reputable scientists who could validate the phenomena. But as I am still eating two meals a day, it is perchance a little premature.

quote:
Wondering if you plan to practice "sun-gazing" during this process or maybe you already do?

i am planning to. am in south India at the moment, and we are experiencing a very late monsoon, so there is not too much sun at the important times (sunrise and sunset) to gaze at.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  06:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
quote:

Hi Christi:

Wishing you the best in your exploration. Do keep us posted.

It should also be pointed out that there is no procedure in the AYP writings for discontinuing food consumption on a long term basis. It is touched on in several places in the Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli book, including in the sections on fasting, avoiding obsessive "flights of fancy" in practice, and the importance of favoring balance via self-pacing in all that we undertake in yoga.

Thanks for the great advice. I do realize that AYP does not advise this sort of thing, and I nearly put this thread under the Other systems of spiritual practice heading. But I put it in this one because the topic is touched on in the main lessons, in the new diet book, and (very lightly, and very beautifully) in the Secrets of Wilder novel.

I read the new Diet, Shatkarmas and Amoroli book a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was excellent. It was so good to see a diet book that doesn't just say, eat this, don't eat that, because on the spiritual path, I have found that my optimal food intake has changed dramatically at different times according to how the prana is flowing, and how much silence is present. I have never seen a book before which acknowledges this fact.

After reading the book I have adopted amorloi, basti, tratak and the forehead shining pranayama (which really does shine your forehead!) as part of my daily routine and I am having very good results from them.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  06:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gentlep
quote:
In the book "Aghora" it's mentioned that to advance spiritually on should control or eliminate food, sex and sleep. It says reducing food or sex will reduce the need for sleep. But that's not my experience. I can go without sex and little food but the sleep is always the same. I would like to know your experience regarding sleep. It would be nice if I can go by with just 4hours sleep a day (as opposed to 7-8 hours now). That gives so much more time for other practices.

Actually, I am also very interested in the effects between food consumption and sleep. I have observed this in the past during short fasts (10 days duration). I don't think it is a one to one correlation, like, the less we eat, the less we need to sleep. It seems to me that initially, eating less, or fasting for a time, will increase the rate of purification of the body. When a lot of purification is happening we could need to sleep more, as we process a lot of things during sleep. Then, if we continue to eat a nutritious and light diet, and a lot of purification has happened, then we should need to sleep less. That's my own feeling about it. One lady who spent about 6 months eating nothing and drinking only water, said that after several months on water only she needed to sleep for only two hours a night.

But I will certainly let you know what happens to me regarding sleep.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  9:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

When you have a plan like that Christi, I do think it was a good idea for you to bring it up on the forum, looking for advice and feedback. My own is to look carefully and self-critically at what is going on with you that you would actually have a plan to live without food -- and feel confident enough of its success to announce it on a public forum almost as if it were a done deal. That in itself, never mind drawing up a list of reputable Scientists to analyze the phenomenon, seems to be very premature.

One thing to watch out for is that the scheme seems grand. Very, very grand. I've no doubt at all that you are going through some profound yogic phenemena. But I think it is a mistake to interpret these experiences grandly. Interpret them spiritually, interpret them lovingly, but shy away from interpreting them grandly.

I don't blame you for interpreting them grandly. First of all, the experiences themselves, almost due to their very own nature, seem to lead to grand interpretations. So many famous Yogis seems to have gone down the path of getting too Grand for their Boots entirely. The too-grand-for-their-boots-ness of yogis would seem to be an institution of the Yogic tradition itself, at least if you look at how it has played in that tragi-comic opera of well-known Yogis of the last century. (While their are some very few notable exceptions to this excessive grand-ness, like Ramana Maharshi.)

But in the end, all that grandness is a 'flight of fancy'. Don't take 'Secrets of Wilder' too literally. Yogis are just people -- imperfect people who have tapped into Something. The really valuable thing is that Something.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  12:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hhhmmm....David I can see your point and perhaps even read between the lines unless I'm mistaken. The very down-to-earth and practical part of me responded to Christi's post in much the same way. But then....after all, things are opening up I believe. The stars are shifting. Unless Christi is completely off his rocker..as some of us may be assuming. I think it's kinda cool. I have often thought of the yogis who have done this or something similar and achieved it, and actually felt a bit envious. All of us just plain folks have a hero's soul inside. Just today I read of Sri Chinmoy's passing. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/13/n...c&ei=5087%0A
He actually urged yogis to push the envelope a bit. But Christi, please allow it to be an elastic envelope. Not a brick wall.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  02:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle,

quote:
But Christi, please allow it to be an elastic envelope. Not a brick wall.

Don't worry Little Turtle, no brick walls around here. I think it is good to try to do the things that we want to do, but if it doesn't work, no big deal! Just try the next thing. Actually I have got a long way in life simply through trying things that I wasn't sure if I could do or not. I don't have any idea how many didn't work out, and how many did. I guess that's not the important thing.
When I was about 20, I signed up for a thirty day silent meditation retreat in Thailand. I had never meditated before. We had to sit in a cell on our own for 8 hours a day. I really thought I could do it. Was I crazy? Probably . Either crazy or inspired. I didn't survive the duration of the retreat, but I learned a great deal about myself, and I'm still meditating 18 years later.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Christi. How's it going? Is it yet time to give us an update on your "living on light" transition? (I'm envious you see..) Hope all is going well.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  04:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Little Turtle,

Nothing really exiting to report, sorry.
Well maybe there is.... you see what I am trying to do is a little different than what most people do who make the transition from living on physical food, to living on light. I am not forcing the transition in any way, like by stopping eating or something crazy like that. I am putting out the intent, and seeing what happens, how the universe responds. A bit like samyama (very like samyama actually). I am still eating once or twice a day, and I have to confess, I am still using stimulants occasionaly... caffine, chocolate and white sugar.

But a couple of surprising things have happened. I went on a silent retreat in November led by Sri Karunamayi Ma. I did not speak to her either before or during the retreat, so she knew nothing of my intentions in this matter. During the retreat she was giving a talk, and for some reason decided to describe the process by which yogis are able to live without eating food.

O.k. prepare yourself for a leap of faith...!

She said that what we need to sustain ourselves (physical body) is the lunar energies, but in our ordinary state we are unable to absorb them. She said that seeds and fruit absorb the lunar energies and then we eat them, and in this way we get the energy to sustain our bodies. She said that through activation of the ida nadi, which is the lunar nadi, the subtle body gains the ability to directly absorb the lunar enegies and so we can live without the need for physical food. If I remember rightly she also said that this was closely related to the opening of the throat chakra. She recommended the practice of Sri Chandra pranayama three times a day in order to attain this state, once before sunrise, once in the afternoon, and again around midnight, but the exact timings depended on what the moon was doing at the time.

After the retreat I came accross a book which talked about the production of amrita, the nectar that flows down from the top of the head. It said that Amrita is produced at the bindu chakra, a chakra on the top back of the head half way between the crown and the occipital centre. It said that when the bindu is activated it produces amrita which flows down to the roof of the mouth, and from there down the throat to the vissudi (throat) chakra. Here it is purified and then it flows down to nourish the physical body.

The bindu is described as the lunar centre in yoga, with the solar centre being at the navel. I imagine that the process that Amma (Sri Karunamayi) described in terms of lunar energies is the same as that relating to the bindu and amrita. Although my body has started producing ojas (soma excreted through the skin, mainly through the higher chakras) it has not yet started producing amrita (internal nectar from the bindu chakra).

The production of amrita is related to the general purification of the subtle body, to abstention from orgasm and to kechari mudra (which has a strong influence over it's production and reception).

So... that's as far as I've got so far. It's interesting what happens when you put an intention out to the universe, somehow the universe responds. I'm not going to stop eating until I really feel like I understand the whole process, which is quite complex, and feel that my system on all levels is ready to handle it. I am beginning to see though, that by the time this process gets seriously underway, the physical realm will hardly occupy my thoughts!

As you can probably tell, I'm not really a hero, just someone practicing yoga, like all of us here.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Jan 07 2008 12:08:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again Little Turtle,

I forgot to mention one extraordinary thing. Recently the purification process in my physical body has gone into a kind of hyperdrive. This is an internal process not related to what I eat. It seems to be related to the amount of prana moving through the subtle body and to the production of soma in the G.I. tract. The physical purification involves large amounts of toxins being pushed out of the body through the skin. Sometimes I wash my whole body, eat a meal, and then have to wash again withing one hour. Like that.

The whole process involves purification on the physical level and several subtle levels.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2008 :  04:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting and exciting! Thanks for the update and inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  05:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi I have heard from a very reputable source that chocolate heavily pollutes the nadis and should be avoided at all costs! (Says the hypocrite who just ate 4 pieces of a chocolate cake during a b-day party, but it was my first time in months though so maybe this will encourage you to avoid it!)

"After the retreat I came accross a book which talked about the production of amrita, the nectar that flows down from the top of the head. It said that Amrita is produced at the bindu chakra, a chakra on the top back of the head half way between the crown and the occipital centre. It said that when the bindu is activated it produces amrita which flows down to the roof of the mouth, and from there down the throat to the vissudi (throat) chakra. Here it is purified and then it flows down to nourish the physical body."

This matches the scientific findings of the scientists who examined Prahlad Jani, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm) only difference is that he has a hole in the palate through which the amrita flows.

Anyway, you must have some very good karma if you are able to get so close to Amma. You are a great inspiration to me and I hope to be able to follow in your steps someday! Thanks for making this topic!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chiron

Christi I have heard from a very reputable source that chocolate heavily pollutes the nadis and should be avoided at all costs! (Says the hypocrite who just ate 4 pieces of a chocolate cake during a b-day party, but it was my first time in months though so maybe this will encourage you to avoid it!)

I am interested in that source, could you post it please ?
I love to eat chocolate and sweets ...
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't, I have to translate it first.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  01:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chiron,
quote:

Thanks for that...
Chocolate obviously has a pretty strong effect on the body, in a similar way to coffee. It has the same "buzz" effect, and when I eat it I a can feel the whole nadi system vibrating very fast. Chocolate and coffee are both terrible when combined with spiritual practices as they create a condition in the nervous system which is the least conducive to deep meditation.

Actually I am starting to notice that anything with a high glycemic index also isn't very helpful (sugars and fast carbohydrates like pasta).
quote:
This matches the scientific findings of the scientists who examined Prahlad Jani, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm) only difference is that he has a hole in the palate through which the amrita flows.

Thanks for the link to the Prahlad Jani experiment. It is a very interesting case. I have once experienced the flow of amrita from the bindu chakra into my top palate, and it was incredible. Like a drop of nectar from heaven (I believe it is sometimes referred to as the nectar of the Gods).
I don't think you need an actual hole in your palate to experience it, but who knows? Prahlad Jani?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  08:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
I am catching up on this thread pretty late.

Firstly, wishing you well on your experiment.

Few things:
(1) Sometimes, going out public about resolution actually may weaken the resolution (as you may try hard to keep it up)...to some level, our ego may let us down. So, doing it without much fanfare may help the cause. This is just my experience or thought. It need not be true in your case. You may be totally different.
(2) I am in no way suggesting that you are seeking attention by this thread. Its really valuable information and inspiration for blokes like me to think about trying something similar. I think the forum is a great way to seek support and help from fellow like-minded yogis. Sometimes, its a good outlet to share things in this forum which you can't do elsewhere (without being ridiculed).
(3) Not having a time limit is really a good thing. it worked in my case for my celibacy (4 - 5 months)...less stressful to keep it up if you are not operating within timeframes.
(3) Have you tried to live on uncooked food? it might be a good start (if you can sustain it).
(4) Also, pls share your fasting experiences. I would really appreciate it.
I have just started with monthly fasting (3 days) from last month. It felt real good. I started off with one day and extended it to three days...i could have gone more, but decided to stop it. Not having rigid goal on number of days did help, I think.

You are an inspiration to all of us in this forum.
So, pls keep it going and continue to share your thoughts and experiences.

Pls keep us posted on this experiement.

Cheers !!!

Edited by - sushman on Mar 02 2008 08:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shushman,

quote:
(3) Have you tried to live on uncooked food? it might be a good start (if you can sustain it).

Actually, I did try the “Raw food” diet. Loads of people recomended it to me, so I gave it a go. All that happened was that I felt sick most of the time. This isn’t surprising because when kundalini is highly active, it draws energy away from the digestive process. Raw foods are very hard to digest compared to cooked foods, even if you mash them into a pulp.

It was a couple of years ago that I tried that. I guess I'll know when I am seriously ready, when I can eat a raw food diet without feeling sick!

That would be a sign that energy was going back to my digestive process.

Thanks for the feedback.

Christi

p.s. It is possible that a mostly raw diet could be useful in the early stages of practice, before kundalini is awakened, as a mostly raw diet could help to purify the body as it is low in toxins. Some even say they awakened their kundalini through eating a raw diet.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

It could just be detoxing causing the nausea.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

It could be, but during the time that I was Raw fooding it (not 100% I should add), I did two, 10 day juice fasts. During the juice fasts the nausia went. Juce fasts are more detoxifying on the body than a non 100% raw diet, so if it was a detox effect, then you would have expected the nausia to continue. If the nausia was caused by undigested food sitting in my stomach, then you would expect it to go away, which it did.
You see... I can be scientific when I want to be.

There is a book published by the Bihar school of Yoga, called something like Kundalini and Tantra, where the swami says the same thing, that Yogis should avoid raw food as it puts too much strain on the digestive system during the years of the awakening of kundalini.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  12:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From a scientific perspective the human body lost it's ability to live on a diet that consist of primarily raw vegetation efficiently thousands of years ago. This is because we no longer possess the enzymes required to breakdown tough raw vegetable matter effectively enough to draw the necessary calories and nutrients from it.

For hominids (i.e. great apes, which includes humans) that are still able to do this, one will notice that they generally have to consume upward of 60 pounds of a raw vegetation per day, in order to remain healthy and active.

I noticed that when I was vegan I had to eat just about every 2 hours in order to not feel lethargic. I eventually got tired of feeling hungry all the time, and switched back to an omnivorous diet, which eliminated the problem.

As for chocolate interfering with deep spiritual practices, I haven't noticed this in my own life, as I eat it all the time. And, I have no problem attaining Samadhi as a result. Coffee is another matter though, and I only drink decaffeinated so as to eliminate the psycho-stimulating effect this beverage would have otherwise.

Kind regards

Edited by - Nirodha on Mar 23 2008 12:36:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  02:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,

I feel it is more clean and efficient to follow ascetic path which is one major path under shamanism. This has to do with different types of deprivation to enter in trance and purify nadis.

In the case of this thread, either you eat or you don't for a given time. Fasting can be highly dangerous but also an interesting ritual because after all, stopping to eat is the archetype of going into death zone which is about ego dissolution.

Albert

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2008 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirodha,
quote:
From a scientific perspective the human body lost it's ability to live on a diet that consist of primarily raw vegetation efficiently thousands of years ago. This is because we no longer possess the enzymes required to breakdown tough raw vegetable matter effectively enough to draw the necessary calories and nutrients from it.

Well... there are a lot of people today living on a totally raw diet. They get around the problem you mention by either living only on raw fruits (which are much easier to digest, or they use a fair amount of electrical kitchen equipment to break up raw vegetables into a much easier to digest form.
quote:
For hominids (i.e. great apes, which includes humans) that are still able to do this, one will notice that they generally have to consume upward of 60 pounds of a raw vegetation per day, in order to remain healthy and active.

The people I know who are 100% raw, eat a lot less than 60 pounds of raw vegetables a day!
quote:
As for chocolate interfering with deep spiritual practices, I haven't noticed this in my own life, as I eat it all the time. And, I have no problem attaining Samadhi as a result.

You may find that as more purification happens in your body, you become increasingly sensitive to substances such as chocolate. A few years ago it hardly affected me at all.

Meditation, and samadhi will have a gentle purification effect on the body, but the process will take many many years with meditation alone. There are much more powerful ways to purify the body. The most powerful I believe, are pranayama and visualization techniques. Spinal breathing pranayama is a combination of both of these.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000