Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Tinnitus vs Inner Sound
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  1:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I took a break for a while. I had to leave off my AYP practices for a while (about 4 months) which turned out to be a good thing for me. A sort of self pacing to the max. I had previously achieved a nice state of inner silence to some degree but external trouble/stresses where great and so I took a break as I found myself getting very agitated and depressed. Things are better now and I'm taking up practice again, slowly.
One interesting thing however. A few years ago I switched my meditation style from relaxation/visualization type to SRF Kriya Yoga. Around the same time I began having rather noticeable tinnitus and at first thought it was part of the many inner sounds I heard during meditation (which is part of the SRF focus) but the metallic hissing cricket sound just continued all the time and got louder so I figured it was tinnitus. When I switched over to AYP there was no change in the tinnitus UNTIL I stopped meditating altogether for a couple months. One day I just noticed that it had all but stopped. So now that I've restarted my AYP practices, guess what, the metallic cricket concert is back in full force. Both ears as before, slightly more so on the right. So at this point I'm thinking that this is not tinnitus but simply inner sounds but heard all time??
Any ideas or experiences from other appreciated.

thomas

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LittleTurtle,

Could very well be inner sounds. I hear them all the time too. Meditation, Kriya (Om, Omkar Practices) or AYP Deep Meditation, both can sensitize and open your nervous system, inner hearing, so they become audible all the time.

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  4:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The first inner sound I experienced was the "humming" sound. Like a swarm of dull bees buzzing slightly in the distance. Not loud, not too soft, but soft. When I noticed it, it seemed as though I'd been listening to it for a long time, but just hadn't noticed it. When I tried to figure out where it was coming from, it disappeared and I came out of meditation. I only heard sounds during the deepest points of my meditation. I've read several accounts of saints and mystics hearing them outside of meditation, though.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've heard many of the other sounds outside of meditation also (the bee sound, bells, gong, flute or whatever one wants to call these things), but those are intermittent. The metallic crickets are ongoing for me (except as stated above when I stopped practice totally). Most of the time it's not bothersome, but because I also have a little bit of hearing loss it can be annoying during those times when there are a lot of background noises. Basically any of the "yoga byproducts" I've experienced are either pleasurable or just interesting. If this cricket sound is a result of my practices then I welcome it. :)
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do the following exercise: Take a deep breath, and on exhale make the sound "NNNNNNNNNN" with the tongue touching the back of your front teeth. Repeat about five times, and make the sound until all the air has been exhaled from your lungs. You can do this every couple of hours if you need to. You should feel/hear the vibration in the area of the ears.

I have had the most unimaginably bad tinnitus ever and this exercise has been helpful. I've recently been dabbling with meditation and spinal breathing and I do this exercise beforehand, along with a whole other series of sounds including A,E,I,O,U, hum,and MMMMMM. It is very soothing to the mind and body. Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  5:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I will try it. I'm all for experimenting.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  05:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Littleturtle, hi. I think i heard the cricket sound today! I am not sure because i thought it was coming from outside my window so i kind of tried to look for the culprit. But then i noticed the sound seemed to be inside my head aswell! And it did seem like it was stronger on the right side. I was listening to a Dr Lewis lecture.

Did the cricket sound just like one cricket or did it sound like many crickets? What i heard only sounded like one.

I wonder what it means. I never expected this at all because i wasn't meditating or anything. I had assumed the astral sounds were first heard in deep meditation.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  01:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha Ha! Gumpi once years ago I was meditating deeply and began to hear the Om so loud it filled my apartment and I thought my friend had driven up my driveway in his deisel truck! It was down right embarassing when I realized I was missing the point so to speak.
I'm very happy for you that you are hearing the inner sounds. For me I think I've only heard many crickets not just one. I think one would be more pleasant?
And again, I've heard many of the astral sound when not in meditation.
Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle
Any ideas or experiences from other appreciated.

Hi Little Turtle
Ever since starting the deep silence meditation 6 month ago I have a constant ringing in both ears, louder in the left. On some days it is not quite as loud. It seems that the deeper I go into meditation, the ringing gets louder afterwards. I think it is an effect from meditation.
Sometimes I also hear bells in my right ear. Most of the time, one or two high pitched bells gong while I am meditating. I've come accustomed to think of the bell sounds as "I am doing meditation properly" and it confirms that I'm getting deeper and more relaxed.

TI
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  2:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Yeah, I find all this facinating. Actually yeaterday I did hear just one cricket sound in y left ear. That was the first time I had heard just one cricket sound. As I type I hear the "whole bloomin' orchestra"!
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  10:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is meditation-induced tinnitus, or the Divine Ear, it is a blessing.

Here's a link to another post which covered this topic and has links to even more posts if you're interested:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3556

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"He who would hear the voice of Nada, 'the Soundless Sound,' and comprehend it, he has to learn the nature of Dharana."

"Dharana, is the intense and perfect concentration of the mind upon some one interior object, accompanied by complete abstraction from everything pertaining to the external Universe, or the world of the senses."

The Voice of the Silence by H. P. Blavatsky
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena...oice1.htm#t3

namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

danebramage

USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  01:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I practice SRF Kriya too. I've got Tinnitus big time but I know where mine comes from or at least I think I do. Have you ever had a head injury or been knocked out? I can't get mine to stop no matter what I do or don't do but I've had it so long I never even think about it anymore unless I stop & think about it.

Edited by - danebramage on Jul 14 2011 06:19:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Neh

India
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  06:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too can listen to this sound of silence. It is a divine sound. It has increased my concentration power and awareness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000