The "Overdoing Symptoms" Thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani warns again and again of the consequences of overdoing. But, ominous as that sounds, there's never been a collection of data points of what those consequences are. Of course, it varies tremendously from person-to-person....but this forum setting is an ideal way to collect some of that data!

There seem to be two different sets of overdoing symptoms: one for overdoing in silence cultivation (meditation, samyama, etc), the other for overdoing in energy cultivation (pranayama, tantra, etc). Since kundalini symptoms have been dealt with thoroughly by Yogani and in this forum, let's skip that, and just talk about vanilla overdoing energy symptoms). Also, note that symptoms can be delayed...a new practice (or newly increased practice) can take a day or two or more to reveal overdoing symptoms.

I'll start. If anyone wants to add on, please reply.

Silence Cultivation:
Light Overdoing: irritabilty, anxiety, disconnection, spaciness
Heavy Overdoing: flu-like symptoms

Energy Cultivation
Light Overdoing: twitchiness, restlessness, headache, bleariness, "burnt-out" feelings
Heavy Overdoing: worse versions of same symptoms. Also, premature kundalini awakening (and all the symptoms that come with that, which needn't be dealt with in this thread)

The other symptom I notice is that if I practice late, immediately before bed, I wake up with a groggy hangover-like experience. It helps to do post-practice rest before sleeping (i.e., not let the sleep serve as the rest time). It helps more to walk around a bit after resting and before sleeping.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Aug 31 2007 10:30:54 AM

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it would belong to silence or energy, possibly a combination, but when a lot of practice has led to a felt sense of 'bleariness' or fuzziness as I think of it, I notice a symptom I can only call clumsiness - dropping small things and making mental errors.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2007 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well, i seem to be in a overdoing of silence cultivation right now, though i dont see how that can be when i only do about 17-20 mins twice a day as i always have.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2007 :  3:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See my reply to you in the too much or too little thread
Go to Top of Page

Alexander

27 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  1:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alexander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
closed loop thought patterns, devastating emotions
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know where you draw the line for "vanilla symptoms", so I just add the ones I experience now:

- Eczema type symptoms:Itching red rashes on the body, preferrably in arm pits, lower spinal area or inside thighs.
- Skin peeling off in facial area

- Constant thirst
- Excess sneezing and energy rushes in the nasal area
- Tinnitus, mostly right ear
- Increased sensitivity to sounds
- Restless legs
- Sore skull
- Very heavy sleep, difficulties awakening

- Very active mind (as Alexander mentioned above)
- Increased overall stress
- Exaggerated acting out of patterns
- Disturbed meditation sessions
- Closing down of particularly the heart chakra
- Preference to choose junk food when available

I also find it so paradoxical that an overload of energies diminishes the energy experiences. When I become more mindy, the energy reality fades away. The friction is not sensed in the body as swelling, floating, tingeling feelings or the like - those feel good energy sensations. The friction is expressed as all the symptoms above. It may give rise to thought patterns like "I've lost it", "I'm back to square one" etc. The closed heart also means a closed mind.

In short... I never thought I'd suffer from overload symptoms like this. Haven't happened since the start of it all 2 years ago... One month with a cold that never gives up, feeling so tired and mindy... The victim getting recharged here! Mr Smith and the agents multiplying... Gosh, it's really slowing the path down.

It's not as bad as Iced_Earth reported, but I feel the desperation building up. How do I get rid of it? In spite of walks, water, much activity in normal life etc it is just nearly keeping bearable.

Excercise is something I'm sceptical about. After having been to the gym I'm speeding like I'm on amphetamine for the whole evening... Why is that? It seems to build energies or is it only transferring the overload energy out to the body?

Edited by - emc on Feb 23 2008 5:02:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc
It's not as bad as Iced_Earth reported, but I feel the desperation building up. How do I get rid of it? In spite of walks, water, much activity in normal life etc it is just nearly keeping bearable.

EMC, I've dumped everything I've learned from a very long time of very intense work and research in that thread you already saw, here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3296
The Chinese herbs plus the neck thing have done it for me, though the neck thing can be overdone...got to pace it.

I'm adding a new posting to that thread that might be the best of all; take a look.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  10:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

In short... I never thought I'd suffer from overload symptoms like this. Haven't happened since the start of it all 2 years ago... One month with a cold that never gives up, feeling so tired and mindy... The victim getting recharged here! Mr Smith and the agents multiplying... Gosh, it's really slowing the path down.

Hi EMC:

Keep in mind that while heart and mind may wish to soar, the body needs some time to catch up.

Your bhakti is nothing short of spectacular, and I seem to recall you adding a mantra enhancement not long ago. Combine all that with your weekends with Bernie and whoever else, and it makes for a nervous system facing transformational challenges.

So maybe do take a closer look at the physical exercise/grounding side of it, getting more rest, and digging a few holes in the garden (when the snow melts). If I had to guess, I'd say it is your unbridled bhakti that is getting you ahead of your body more than anything else. That can translate into getting to far ahead in practices too, which can compound the overload.

If you can't turn down the bhakti, then one way to divert it is to take it to others in mundane service mode. That can be very grounding, taking some of the energy load off your nervous system. If we are directing bhakti inward, the load will be more in us. If we direct our bhakti outward, the environment will share more in the transformation. That is where it must go eventually anyway.

Note: I am not talking about "blazing light" service here -- more along the lines of changing dirty sheets and scrubbing toilets -- just being there for the other in need. Forget the blazing light for a while...

Service is spiritual practice also, as you well know. So even that may need to be self-paced if the body is struggling too much in becoming a divine channel. We will know we are making progress when it is becoming pretty ordinary.

It all takes time. It is amazing how far we have traveled in a very short time, yes? Let's do what is necessary to keep it on the rails.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
yogani: Note: I am not talking about "blazing light" service here -- more along the lines of changing dirty sheets and scrubbing toilets -- just being there for the other in need. Forget the blazing light for a while...

That's what I did all of last week, scrubbed a toilet, bathroom, walls, entire apartment of someone who was unable to do it themselves. I agree that it's a great grounding tool, although we all do this without reason, because it's natural when we care about other people. It also makes us realize just how unspecial we truly are when we're down on our knees making a different sort of offering to a porcelain god with cleanser in one hand brush in the other: LOLOLOL

VIL
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  1:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed! It is amazing! And thank you Yogani for all advice and putting things in perspective.

You must be a mind reader ! I'm actually right now scrubbing my own toilet and changing sheets that cat peed on again (forgot the cover one day...) and cleaning the house in order to host a "Coachsurfer" calling acutely today from http://www.coachsurfing.com where I happen to be a member. A religious Muslim from Kuwait just entered my house with a sweater having a big picture of Sathan 666 on it! I asked for more low frequent energies, and I got it! Perhaps the entities from the hard rock called him in???? LOL!!!

PS The mantra enhancement was abandoned after only a few days and it was now about 2 months ago, but perhaps it got things going anyway... I'm back to I AM, and after reading 'The Secrets of Wilder' I understand that I until now have been saying the mantra outwards... It has been working fine... at least I thought so... Perhaps it's the turning of the mantra inwards that is causing this...? Gosh! Thank God I didn't understand that trick earlier! I actually now think I have misunderstood most of the practices, and perform them very incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  9:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL emc you crack me up!

Here's my list:

- sore back
- tiredness, ennui
- extreme sensitivity to others' emotions
- feeling of vulnerability, like a snail that lost its shell
- diminishing ability to communicate
- intense divine longing with no idea what to do with the energy
- clunky feeling to the body

I had a very good meditative experience recently and my body feels incredibly fluid - the opposite of the clunky feelings noted above. I feel very centered and energized in my base chakra. It's a wonderful feeling I've never felt before.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  5:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Darn... the Islamic meeting at my house ended up in a huge light blazing session anyway... He ended up crawling on the floor, then laying on my lap crying while I was stroking his hair motherly, reporting on all the bright lights he saw around me and how beautiful I was...

I didn't do it! I promise! My only intention is to ground... I just can't stop what's happening when a person in need comes in a such deliberate way and all intuition says: Go! Go heal! Go serve! It would be a heartbreaking pain not to follow the will of the force... I guess somewhere I'm ready to pay the price of overload... But I actually felt very relaxed today. Perhaps it transferred some of the overload to him, balancing things out. I'd wish to believe that.

Joe, good that you mention

- diminishing ability to communicate

Totally agree!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  7:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"diminishing ability to communicate"
ha ha thank you. I thought I was getting old. I have compensated by speaking slower and more clearly which gives my mind more time to form the sentences.

EMC wrote:
"Excercise is something I'm sceptical about. After having been to the gym I'm speeding like I'm on amphetamine for the whole evening... Why is that? It seems to build energies or is it only transferring the overload energy out to the body?"

Me too but it is grounding if you do it right. I take a nap before heavy exercise so I can stay up late without losing sleep. i do a 2 1/2 hour aerobic class on sundays, then if I'm amping too much I do heavy stretching at home. This contortion girl shows the stretches first:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-...n-basics.htm

I know, all you yoga guys, but I'm just not into physical yoga at this time.
This stretching is very grounding for me. You just go as far as discomfort, not pain, and hold them a long time,
like two minutes or more. What makes you sore on one day will feel good later.
in our aerobic class we are doing African dance now, which seems to be more grounding than other styles.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 26 2008 7:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  03:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether, lucky you to have all that time to take naps!!! Sounds lovely to be able to have a practice like that.

A question:

Does use of neti pot increase energies to a great extent? I would like to use it to clean out my cold that is not letting go of its grip, but I'm afraid it may boost energies at the same time. Is it wise to use it for cleaning out snot at this state or not?

Edited by - emc on Feb 29 2008 03:01:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ether, lucky you to have all that time to take naps!!! Sounds lovely to be able to have a practice like that."

Only once on sunday. That's the only day I can take a nap, and I don't always have time for it. It's an incredible class, and the teacher charges next to nothing. Truly a blessing.
it doesn't take any time to take a nap. it is stolen from my night's sleep. I usually take a two hour nap on sunday because I know I will not be able to sleep until two hours past my bedtime.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 29 2008 7:25:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Does use of neti pot increase energies to a great extent? I would like to use it to clean out my cold that is not letting go of its grip, but I'm afraid it may boost energies at the same time. Is it wise to use it for cleaning out snot at this state or not?

EMC, check this site.. maybe you will have your answer.
(It was posted in this thread)

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 29 2008 08:42:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  07:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A late thanks, Shanti, but I didn't find anything in those threads about that, only that it may stimulate third eye awakening... didn't say much about energies overall.

I just wanted to add to the list:

- nausea
- vertigo
- forgetfulness
- not feeling rested after sleep
- strange apetite with cravings or total loss of apetite, like when you're pregnant

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

A late thanks, Shanti, but I didn't find anything in those threads about that, only that it may stimulate third eye awakening... didn't say much about energies overall.

I just wanted to add to the list:

- nausea
- vertigo
- forgetfulness
- not feeling rested after sleep
- strange apetite with cravings or total loss of apetite, like when you're pregnant

I am sorry the site did not help EMC.

I am not sure if you have ever visited the site Biology of Kundalini

All your symptoms have been described as an Exhaustion Phase:
quote:

Hypoadrenalism-- There are about 40 stress hormones, the most important being cortisol, adrenalin and DHEA. As cortisol levels increase there is a decline in the anabolic adrenal hormone DHEA (a precursor of testosterone) which increases depression and leads to increased vulnerability to the catabolic effects of cortisol. Testosterone is needed for new bone growth, muscle repair, and healthy cardiovascular function. Exhaustion of adrenal glands from excessive stress means an eventual drop in glucocorticoids. In the advanced stages hypoadrenalism even means a deficiency cortisol and contributes to anemia and hypoglycemia. Signs of adrenal exhaustion can be as diverse as fatigue, nervousness, anxiety, severe PMS, depression, brain fog, carbohydrate cravings, allergies, muscular pain and tenderness, joint pain and irritable bowel syndrome.
She has a buncha suggestions on how to balance the deficiencies. Also do a search on any of your symptoms and you may find more info on it.
Hopefully this will help a bit more than the neti site I quoted above.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  2:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So in short - energy overload affects the HPA-axis controlling the stress system (as energy process involves all the glands connected to different chakras) resulting in a variety of symptoms, also known from the medical side as "psychosomatic" symptoms. Symptoms like these are also along the same line found in diagnoses such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrom, Fibromyalgia, PTSD, Burn-out Syndromes and other illnesses that for long have puzzled the doctors.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoth...adrenal_axis
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good thread for me to read right now. I just decided a few days ago to add the Chin pump to my routine. I read the instructions over and over and have been doing this routine for five days now. I would definately consider this to be energy cultivation. Afer doing this routine 3 days in a row, and rather poorly I might add, I experienced:

Change in sleep habits (heavy sleep when I am usually a light sleeper);
The feeling that I am dreaming a few times throughout the day;
waking up in the middle of the night and feeling so much electrical energy pumping through my body that my body is stiff as a board;
extreme rush of salty taste in my mouth after meditation;
soar neck;
stiff back from time to time;
Feeling of pressure in my chest during meditation;
Pressure in third eye off and on throughout the day.

I was going to stop but I have not stopped so far. The pros are that my meditation became instantly deeper when I added the chin pump.
I can feel a noticable amount of energy in my heart, head and third eye.
I experienced a wierd state during my mediation yesterday where as I thought the mantra a thin stream of air circulated through my body and I felt as though I was continually breathing even though I wasn't.

At this point I will not drop the chin pump because I love the effects it has had on my meditation. I have been meditating for over a year and have not had such a dramatic change in my meditation until the I did the chin pump.

I only do four rounds at a sitting so I guess I can continue for a while but I am really in a state of vigilence at this time.

This energy does seem to have an intelligence of its own. For example, I go to work and during my work hours or other times when
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  10:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hit the submit button on my last post before I finished.

I just wondered if anyone else experience the energy as having an intelligence of its own. Whenever I'm out in public the energy seems to subside, however, when I go home the currents of energy that run through my body become more noticable the moment I go into my house and am out of public view. I realize that I am probably more aware of them when my attention is not extroverted during the day's activities, but there is also a type of communication that goes on between the energy and me. Especially, if I am not overdoing the practices.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maatsuah, some quick thoughts:

A lot of what you're saying is very good stuff. But there's indeed indication that you're overdoing...and you know this, demonstrated by your attraction to this thread! I understand the feeling of not wanting to slow down just when things seem to be working well. It's sort of a contrary thought to the body's innate feeling that things are going too fast! You don't want to be a coward, and you don't want to be a daredevil. And your bhakti makes you decide you can tough through overdoing symptoms. Remember that ahimsa - non violence - applies to yourself, as well. If you know you need to decrease practice time, do it. Don't try to "bash through". nothing in yoga works with bashing through!

As for the energy having an intelligence of its own, bingo. The energy is pure intelligence. And it's not separate from you. The innate intelligence/awareness at your core is That. The cool thing is you don't need to understand. Or analyze. Or "get it". Or sort out the house-of-mirrors problems of perspective ("who's aware of awareness?", etc). Just practice. All there is to do is to dissolve ignorance; there's no knowledge to "acquire". Yoga is utterly subtractive, so just let the Cosmic Barber trim your hair. Let the mantra carry the intelligence. Your chattering, nattering mind doesn't need to "validate" the process.

Finally: you can click on the little "pencil" icon above your post to edit it later. You can also click on the trash can icon to delete it

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 17 2008 11:39:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your insights Jim

I'm not that good with the computer. I should, however, know better about overdoing AY practices. I have not experienced any change in my meditation for a while and suddenly I was expereincing euphoria within days of doing the Chin pump. I have not felt alarmed or freightened by any of the symptoms I have had recently, however, I will take your advice and back off for a few weeks. Then I will go back to doing it maybe once a day for the minimum amount of time.

I can use a bit more practice in self pacing. I have only had a dramatic overload since starting these practices with Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka and that didn't last to long so I feel it won't take me long to properly integrate this new procedure.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I were you, I'd cut my chin pump in half, then watch closely for a week or two (bear in mind that there may be a time delay effect). Watch particularly your involvement in social interactions...that's the real key. If all's well (and I have a feeling it will be), add a little bit more duration every couple of days. If not, take off some duration. Meanwhile, of course, I wouldn't even think of adding on any new practices!

Woops...I just reread your posting. I'd strongly suggest you do your self pacing by reducing the daily time of a given practice, rather than stopping it entirely on a given day. AYP is a daily practice, and needs the constant daily repetition to be effective, so it's not really the AYP way to skip days. So, again, I'd suggest you cut the time of chin pump down, not the daily frequency.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 17 2008 1:38:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  01:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
- "not much happening" syndrome

I add this because I just went through a several-month period of "not much happening", despite heavy practice sessions. I didn't feel bad, just felt like I wasn't making any spiritual progress.

I cut way back recently, and am starting to feel like I'm getting back on track in my practice.

Peace + Unity
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  01:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll

- "not much happening" syndrome

I add this because I just went through a several-month period of "not much happening", despite heavy practice sessions. I didn't feel bad, just felt like I wasn't making any spiritual progress.

I cut way back recently, and am starting to feel like I'm getting back on track in my practice.

Peace + Unity

Hi Cosmic,

I'm very confused about this. From your post it seems like your period of "heavy practices" was not affecting your everyday life negatively. After all, "not much happening" can be a good thing. You may have been avoiding distracting scenery while purifying by the boat load.

Can you help clarify how cutting back made you feel like you're getting back on track in your practice?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000