Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing Enhancement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iqtrader

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit iqtrader's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani,

I have purchased several of your books and I enjoy your writings very much. Keep up with your great work!

I recently reviewed Mantek Chia’s Tao breathing technique (sexual vitality DVD) which is very similar to spinal breathing but with a few little additions:

1. When inhale, imagine the energy going up from the back of the spin, eyes roll down a circle and stop at the third eye. (Instead of roll up to the third eye.)

2. At the same time, contract the mouth muscle to create a sucking sensation, while the tongue is touching the top of the mouth.

3. When exhale, imagine the energy going down from the front of the body, eyes roll down to see the energy back to the bottom of the body.

Same as spinal breathing, this breathing technique also require contraction of the muscle on the bottom and abdomen lift. When I add the above additions in the spinal breathing practice, the feeling of energy is stronger. I just want to get your opinion before I include it into my regular practice routine.

Any input from anyone will be very much appreciated.
Hal

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  12:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi iqtrader, and welcome!

What you are into there is the Taoist microcosmic orbit, which has both similarities and differences with AYP spinal breathing. There has been discussion about it in these topics:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1474
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=500
(for related topics, search on "microcosmic")

The additional Taoist physical maneuvers you mention are somewhat analogous to mudras and bandhas in yoga. Nevertheless, these are two different systems, and mixing and matching practice elements can be a bit problematic. That is covered in the topic links above.

It will be your experiment, since no one is able to predict the outcome of every combination of practices from different systems, except in a general way -- be careful not to "double up" in time on similar practices from different systems, and always "self-pace" if energy flows become excessive. Keep in mind that overly aggressive practice can have delayed adverse effects, so be sure to take things one step at a time, stabilizing each new element of practice for weeks or months before adding another. That goes for building up the AYP practices too, which are plenty.

While there can be some benefit in drawing on a few methods from other systems that fill in gaps in our primary approach, trying to do a 50/50 blend of systems is a pretty big challenge, even for an expert. Better to keep both feet in one boat, especially beginners. Less likely to end up in the water that way.

Wishing you all the best on you path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

iqtrader

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  2:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit iqtrader's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

Excellent advice and a great post!

I still hope that one day you will produce a DVD to illustrate all your wisdom and techniques in AYP. ;-)

Thanks.
Hal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000