Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Amazing Video - Yoga, Macrocosm, Microcosm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  12:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Yoga, Neuroscience & Astrophysics.

As many of you know, "Hamsa" is a common meditation mantra.

Yogic rishis determined that the natural sound made when breathing in, is "aHam".

Yogic rishis determined that the natural sound made when breathing in, is "saH".

Aham SaH also means "I am That" in Sanskrit.

Hamsa means "swan" in Sanskrit.

"Parama" means beyond or great.

So, a Praramahamsa (Ramakrishna, Yogananda, etc.) are know as "Great Swans".

Cool, huh?

But wait ... there's got to be more ... because, well ....

Even without any modern scientific instruments or technology, the Yogic Rishis were quite clear on the fact that yoga facilitates neurophysiological evolution by creating changes in human brain chemistry, and related neuroendrocinological functions.

Specifically as it relates to neurochemical enhancements in the brain's third ventricle.

How does this tie in to everything I wrote above?

To learn that ... you'll have to watch the video.

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Prepare to be blown away.

PPS - Please note how many times I have previously said, "Prepare to be blown away." (HINT: Zero).

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  02:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well...there are 300 billion stars in the milky way, not 100 billion (maybe it's three stars per neuron?). And the glowing comb thing doesn't look like a swan to me at all. And the dude doesn't sing very soulfully.

But then again I've never been a fan of jargon-rife explanations of How It All Works delivered with a juiced-up sense that signals that if I take careful notes and memorize it all, it'll, like, do something special for me. It makes me think of this: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2553

Since it seems to have indeed done something special for you, then I guess that just makes me lazy? Idunno, I clearly missed it. What is a viewer to do with this information? In what way does it blow you away?

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 15 2007 02:40:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hannah

38 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hannah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, this Guru has fascinated me for years. I am surprised at Jim's lackluster response to what I consider a lovely discourse given by a true, authentic Himalayan yogi.

Love and Peace to you all
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  11:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, I'm willing to concede that I missed it, have issues, etc. The only thing I said that doesn't likely spring directly from my own personal issues is his singing. That was a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  1:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Like I said, I'm willing to concede that I missed it, have issues, etc. The only thing I said that doesn't likely spring directly from my own personal issues is his singing. That was a problem.

Oh, ye of cynical and artistically unappreciative outlook!

And maybe I went a bit too far into "hagiography-land" with my general "over-the-top-ness" ... apologies if I did anyone a disservice with my "tone", in that regard.

I don't know anything about the guru in question, and don't know about the "billions and billions" of stars thing.

Per various esoteric microcosm = macrocosm teachings, I thought the general idea was interesting.

I thought the brain / swan thing was *really* interesting.

I don't know if the rishis knew "Oh, this subtle-energy swan is an image of physical structures within my brain" - but they did see it, and they were clearly aware that focus / awareness on it helped to facilitate yogic evolution.

What I found fascinating was that modern medical science has verified that a "swan like" structure is evident in the human brain ... in the exact areas of the brain which yogis, kabbalists and other esotericists have revered for thousands of years.

"That's all."

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Our buddy Yogiraj actually sings quite nicely, in well-accepted yogic / Sanatana Dharma style - and I found the sweetness and devotion in his voice, as well as his very clear enunciation and pronunciation of the Sanskrit lyrics (not always done well, even among Indian sadhakas - "language of origin" tends to make a big difference, even in India). This style of singing can sound off-key and "hard on the ears" to Westerners who have not had much exposure to it, and/or who don't understand that that's the way it's supposed to sound.

The lyrics are mantras in essence, each of which has optimal effect on the applicable chakra(s) / portion of our neuro-endocrine system, when chanted on a given note, and with a given tonality ... and Yogiraj's chanting reflects all of that, quite nicely.

Doesn't mean you have to like it, or that I mind that you don't ("I'm cool"; we all have our own tastes) - but thought the explanation might be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

Oh, ye of cynical and artistically unappreciative outlook!

LOL

quote:
I don't know anything about the guru in question, and don't know about the "billions and billions" of stars thing.

funny...I was thinking carl sagan, as well!

quote:

What I found fascinating was that modern medical science has verified that a "swan like" structure is evident in the human brain ... in the exact areas of the brain which yogis, kabbalists and other esotericists have revered for thousands of years.

Ok, I guess I can see that as being pretty heavy. Maybe the problem is that I've never read much about the swan thing (missed those books), nor did the pictures in the video look like swans to me. Which left me feeling a little empty-handed. But I understand now.

quote:
PS - Our buddy Yogiraj actually sings quite nicely, in well-accepted yogic / Sanatana Dharma style - and I found the sweetness and devotion in his voice, as well as his very clear enunciation and pronunciation of the Sanskrit lyrics (not always done well, even among Indian sadhakas - "language of origin" tends to make a big difference, even in India).

Ok, so you're making the case that he's, like, the Julie Andrews of devotional singing?

quote:
This style of singing can sound off-key and "hard on the ears" to Westerners who have not had much exposure to it, and/or who don't understand that that's the way it's supposed to sound.

that wasn't my issue. I have very open ears. I just didn't hear soul. Most deeply practiced people singing in this style make me shudder. I just heard nice tunefulness and didn't cop a trace of buzz (we might not disagree...doesn't sound like you did, either).

quote:
The lyrics are mantras in essence, each of which has optimal effect on the applicable chakra(s) / portion of our neuro-endocrine system, when chanted on a given note, and with a given tonality ... and Yogiraj's chanting reflects all of that, quite nicely.

Interesting explanation, thanks.

quote:

Doesn't mean you have to like it, or that I mind that you don't ("I'm cool"; we all have our own tastes) - but thought the explanation might be helpful.

Same on my end, in the nicest possible way (which is, I know, how you meant it too!).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 15 2007 2:46:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  12:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Ok, so you're making the case that he's, like, the Julie Andrews of devotional singing?

Errr ... nope.

That would of course be ... Wah!

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  11:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

quote:

Errr ... nope.

That would of course be ... Wah!

Hmmm ... or, more like .... Ragani

Ragani definitely seems more Julie Andrews-ish (her 'merican name is even Julie ... ) ... Wah! (on the other hand) is a bit more Sheryl Crow-ish.

Yours for accurate kirtanparisons .....

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  12:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stop!

Oh man. Ok, I take it back. I guess Yogiraj is plenty soulful after all.

Someone take away Kirtanman's linking privileges, please....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000