Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Sugary food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Okay, vice number two.

Saccharine foods!

Just how damaging are slices of fudge cake, snickers bars, and chocolate hobnobs to the process of meditation?

Does anybody have any contribution towards just how important diet is towards the process of yoga?

Jack

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  9:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi jack

I think the effects vary...for myself, sugar and white flour really roll in the fog....I still eat dessert foods as I'm not into total restriction...grasping type of feeling....with much of anything....I notice that when I eat a little sugar, I want more...keep it coming and keep it regular....but then if I detox or something...even a short fast...sugar tastes awful and my craving is gone...other foods taste better...like an orange blows my mind while the cake or cookie tastes dull.....
peace....heather
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  12:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing is harmful to the practice of meditation. Meditation is about transcending all factors. Your silence is always there, never dimmed, regardless. It is always there, always exactly the same, even if you're on a roller coaster blasting jimi hendryx over headphones naked in the cold eating Cheetos.

Certain conditions make it a little easier to relax into meditation (e.g. not going on a roller coaster blasting jimi hendryx over headphones naked in the cold eating Cheetos). But to get all hung up on trying to get conditions just right is the sort of thing that makes us need to meditate in the first place! :)

You don't need to adjust things and make them "right" to meditate. You just have to let go to what is....and snickers bars are as much a part of what is as anything.

Of course, if you're not healthy, THAT can make it hard to meditate. So take care. And as you meditate, it'll be easier and easier to take care!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Feb 25 2007 12:20:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  10:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
You don't need to adjust things and make them "right" to meditate. You just have to let go to what is....and snickers bars are as much a part of what is as anything.

**totally**
right on , Jim
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear, that snickers was really tasty. :P

Thank you for the input. I think perhaps it is important not to feel foggy and lethargic, and to be generally healthy.

It is good to know I don't have to drop too much for this practice.

Jack

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jack, there's no one right way to handle this kind of thing. If you notice sugary foods messing up your meditation, you might be drawn to cutting it down. Or you might not. You might want to be disciplined, but you might not have the 'energy' to be disciplined. It all depends. Just be sure to do the meditation, sugary-foods or not, and then take it from there as you see fit.
Go to Top of Page

Thokar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thokar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol, i think it may be directly related to the cannabis intake you were referring to in your earlier post... you know "the munchies" THC is best absorbed by sugary foods that mainly are converted to fat in which THC is stored...
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  4:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes! The two do go together wellThat's one reason I used to like those hashish brownies so muchI know we can surpass those good old highs with patience and perseveranceI guess for some it may be good to indulge now and then
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  9:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've enjoyed these postings and I think this is a great topic, especially for me. I believe food can affect people differently...

I personally struggle with a food addiction and I know for myself I cannot manage sugar without overeating it and it affecting me mentally, emotionally and spiritually in a negative way. I seek help through the 12 Step Program called Overeaters Anonymous. Yogani does speak in his books about the 12 Step Programs of recovery for various addictions. Anyone who is familiar with a 12 Step Program knows that the program holds the belief that the only way of attaining recovery is surrendering to a higher power, as if your life depends on it (which I believe it does for an addict) For me, this urgency really sustains my spiritual life and willingness to do my daily practices regardless of how I feel on a given day. Any thoughts on addictions and how it affects spiritual practices??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000