Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Acceptance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
529 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2023 :  10:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It seems the path forward is one of accepting the present moment however it shows up. I am finding this my guiding light on the path to liberation, however, I have had a few experiences recently in which I feel trapped. As an example I was backpacking over the weekend in a beautiful area. It was very cold and dark and I developed insomnia. Being "trapped" in a tight fitting sleeping bag without a place to go (i.e. getting up to wander around in the dark in the cold was not a great option) I found myself struggling to accept that moment (which dragged on for hours). I'm interested in hearing from anyone who feels they've found a way to accept the present when it is presenting challenges such as pain, nausea, boredom etc.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2023 :  05:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Interpaul,

Insomnia is one of the hardest mundane thing to accept. I must say I have mastered that one. That became possible with sleeping awake.

I find myself having to, once more, accept the place of others and my own in this world, rather than trying to point out how they live their lives are not conducive to happiness.
It's just that you hear them ranting and wailing about this horrid, horrid world and it is sort of inevitable that you point out that it is mostly due to the choices they are making; that a clear mind is essential to navigate this world decently.
We have this false belief, one that is actually promoted by all yoga paths, that once you are well established in Being, that this somehow influences the world around you, aiding others to find the way. So, you think you are somehow contributing to the greater good. I have thus far found no clear evidence of this. Meditation has brought many benefits to myself (oh, I can't believe this blessing!) but influencing others? Nah. I am starting to accept that everyone has their place and role in this world and all is good.

Now, if you are on this journey with this ego-based construct that you are doing it to help others - discard it, it leads nowhere.

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Oct 31 2023 05:43:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2023 :  03:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few memories of "being trapped" (in the bed of a pick up truck on the highway, shivering in a rainstorm, is one). Sleeping outside may sound interesting, but often disappoints; I had a similar story in a bunk room with snoring strangers. In these situations, it helped me to curl into a fetal position and try to dissolve my thoughts and my state of despair. In the bunkhouse for instance, I was able to mimic the rhythmic breathing of a deep sleep, and place my attention on the inner process of dissolving into restfulness. Faking it until making it. Although I may have slept a few precious hours, oddly enough I felt good the next hike.

If you are talking about being trapped in something more long term, you may have to pay more attention to thoughts and actions rather than dissolving everything away.
Go to Top of Page

dcame

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2023 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit dcame's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At times like this, I remember the story of Ramana Maharishi. One day he got back from his evening walk to discover that someone had prematurely locked the ashram gates shut. I would have been furious in that situation. Ramana simply lay down and went to sleep outside for the night. Complete acceptance.
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2023 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Dear Interpaul,

Insomnia is one of the hardest mundane thing to accept. I must say I have mastered that one. That became possible with sleeping awake.

I find myself having to, once more, accept the place of others and my own in this world, rather than trying to point out how they live their lives are not conducive to happiness.
It's just that you hear them ranting and wailing about this horrid, horrid world and it is sort of inevitable that you point out that it is mostly due to the choices they are making; that a clear mind is essential to navigate this world decently.
We have this false belief, one that is actually promoted by all yoga paths, that once you are well established in Being, that this somehow influences the world around you, aiding others to find the way. So, you think you are somehow contributing to the greater good. I have thus far found no clear evidence of this. Meditation has brought many benefits to myself (oh, I can't believe this blessing!) but influencing others? Nah. I am starting to accept that everyone has their place and role in this world and all is good.

Now, if you are on this journey with this ego-based construct that you are doing it to help others - discard it, it leads nowhere.

Sey

Haha Sey, I wish I could do that awake sleeping. For now I just work, work and get fatigued in any way possible. Otherwise I often have a hard time sleeping. And with that, acceptance of sleeping.

Another thing regarding your statement about accepting that practice won't help others. I have found, like you, that I am not helping others trough radiance. Even if I almost get convinced that my animation portray something other than merely intellectual or external things to peers. However, I have a great deal of conviction regarding other advanced practitioners/gurus having an effect on me. Although the received radiance is based on the purity of the Yogi.

Indeed acceptance too has been hard for me when it comes to expectations of others.. and perhaps the effect you want to have on others, especially dear friends, Yogis or real seekers.

...I have to admit that maybe I have to let go of radiance. Radiance seems to me to be the greatest siddhi, I long for it, for helping others.

Sorry for derailing Interpaul. Regarding your question. For one, I find that thinking of the worst case scenario that could have happened is good. Death and what comes after often comes up when it is really challenging. In relation to death, life is really good anyway. I become grateful from the absurd relativity of life youknow'. Maybe I'm a morbid breed?
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2023 :  04:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey and Wil, Thanks for your thoughts. You and Wil focus on a different, and interesting idea, that of affecting others through your practice. I also have found some individuals less responsive to my radiance. So much of this stuff is subjective and hard to really define. I hold on to the belief we can affect others positively but suspect Wil is correcting pointing out radiance requires the individual you are helping has to be open to it. This could be a huge topic to dig into further if people desire. My mundane interest in this post was mostly about finding acceptance in responding to difficult situations. I am coming around to the belief the AYP path may be the solution. Yogani does suggest 24/7 ecstatic bliss is the fruit of these practices. If this is true, we should be able to "anesthetize" ourselves to some degree from painful moments.
Dogboy, Your positive take on this and most struggles suggests your inner silence already helps you weather difficult circumstances.
Came, Another good example of someone doing it right but not explaining how.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2023 :  11:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was actually talking of acceptance - but I guess the emphasis came out on influence of radiance. The more you resist insomnia, tossing and turning and cursing the fact that you are lying awake, the more disturbed your mind becomes and it becomes a case of what you resist persist. Best to accept that - yes, you are awake and that?s alright.

Yes, Will. That is what I realized that I have to let go off - the idea that I am influencing /helping others through the power of my radiance.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

mountainrange

Sweden
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2023 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess sometimes we just have to indure, right? Think of Jesus on the cross, he must have felt quite alot of pain, even if he was enlightened. We can't escape having some pain, I think. Even if it's just bodily pain...
I have slept many nights outdoors, and during some of them I haven't slept for the whole night (bright outside during night time, lying on the hard ground, etc). Remember that I listened to music, and radio because that was possible.

Edited by - mountainrange on Nov 07 2023 04:41:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
529 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2023 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mountainrange, Yes, it does seem impossible to avoid pain. Yogani often says pain is inevitable, suffering optional. Many often speak of the need for opposites as a fundamental structure of the dual world we live in. That is, one can't experience pleasure without being willing to experience pain. I'm not sure how this fits with a non dual perspective (as I have yet to enter that realm in an abiding way).
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  12:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

Firstly, Kudos to you for backpacking alone. I do not have the courage to do it alone.

Agree with Sey, that sometimes the spiritual ego can be one of the challenging things to see through as it can cloak itself with all the spiritual jargon and think it's special.

I do not believe that one stops feeling pain in Non duality or Nonduality is out of this world. Infact, as you mention, it's acceptance and being at peace (yes, even peace with the discomfort, non-acceptance). Acceptance of the challenges and pain that is inevitable in this human experience. As mountainrange mentions suffering is just the mind's commentary of the pain.

To answer your question: How do I practice acceptance: Breathe, remind myself this too shall pass, drop down into my body, be present with the sensations and simply with life experience realizing that all emotions and circumstances come and go. Just as happiness comes and goes, so does sadness.They are all visitors. Everything is cyclic in the world similar to the patters of nature.

And, if all of the above fails: I call my spiritual friends and whine on the phone.LOL!I have cultivated deep friendships through this forum over the years. In the end, we are all laughing at this cosmic joke! I'm deeply grateful to Yogani and this forum for that.

Much Love,
Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Nov 09 2023 12:25:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  03:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm deeply grateful to Yogani and this forum for that.

Amen
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
529 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  6:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata, Thank your for sharing your experience. I too have accepted everything comes in cycles. I wanted to be very mindful of my judgmental mind being critical of my negative experiences, as if they are a reflection on some failing of my practices. It seems they are part of the fabric of life one needs to accept.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  8:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

Sunyata, Thank your for sharing your experience. I too have accepted everything comes in cycles. I wanted to be very mindful of my judgmental mind being critical of my negative experiences, as if they are a reflection on some failing of my practices. It seems they are part of the fabric of life one needs to accept.

Go to Top of Page

TensorTympani

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2023 :  12:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently got a cold for the first time since I started feeling bliss and ecstasy upon touch on various locations on my body. It was quite interesting to observe that despite the body aches caused by the cold (especially the skin ached all over the body), there was still behind the ache the bliss and ecstasy. When I made an effort I could pull these pleasant sensations to foreground. So, I'm curious if maybe further down the road, it might not only be possible to avoid suffering while experiencing pain, but to choose not to feel the pain.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
529 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  10:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tensor, Thanks for sharing this. I too have experienced an increase in ecstatic and blissful currents when I'm physically ill (I've actually done a post on this a couple years ago). My struggles are more centered around circumstances in which I feel trapped such as insomnia, nausea in which bringing one's attention to sensations can worsen the suffering.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000