Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Why do we not meditate on medulla oblongata?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  6:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi wise ones,

I am sure many of you are proficient in spinal breathing to the extent that you can concentrate on any part of your body with ease.

I have found something on net:

http://self-help.vocaboly.com/archi...the-3rd-eye/

It talks about medulla oblongata being center of conciousness. Why then no one concentrates on it?

I tried it a few minutes - I started sneezing and breath opened up. I am also able to hear the humming sound without effort. Someone, I remember, posted that he listens to the humming sound from back of his head. Perhaps I did too - but before this one - I was not sure.

Your wisdom is needed.

P.S. I read a line in that article: consciousness penetrates the spiritual eye and enters the inner realms. What does it mean? I have read it so many times - I do not think I understand "consciousness penetrates the spiritual eye" or "penetrate chakras". Please elaborate.

Edited by - aditya on Jan 15 2007 10:38:21 AM

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  4:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by aditya

Hi wise ones,

I am sure many of you are proficient in spinal breathing to the extent that you can concentrate on any part of your body with ease.

I have found something on net:

http://self-help.vocaboly.com/archi...the-3rd-eye/

It talks about medulla oblongata being center of conciousness. Why then no one concentrates on it?

I tried it a few minutes - I started sneezing and breath opened up. I am also able to hear the humming sound without effort. Someone, I remember, posted that he listens to the humming sound from back of his head. Perhaps I did too - but before this one - I was not sure.

Your wisdom is needed.

P.S. I read a line in that article: consciousness penetrates the spiritual eye and enters the inner realms. What does it mean? I have read it so many times - I do not think I understand "consciousness penetrates the spiritual eye" or "penetrate chakras". Please elaborate.

Hi Aditya,

I can't comment on your P.S., mostly because I have no idea but will say one word why not to focus on the medulla oblongata while meditating: headaches!ouch...

Not to mention it is not a balanced and progressive way to open the nervous system. Too fast leads to pain and the need to self-pace. I can't say that this method wouldn't work, I am just aware that opening things in the head too quickly can lead to headaches!

all the best,

A

Edited by - Anthem on Jan 15 2007 4:02:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

aditya

82 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  8:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit aditya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Anthem for your reply.

1. In past, as soon as I get in meditation, and when I see light and sound together, I would feel a pressure on back of my neck(always). Perhaps concentration moves without me realizing it. Is this familiar to anyone?

2. This point is very close to Vishuddhi Chakra. Are we concentrating on this point with little off positioning due to out understanding on locations(please bear that language has it own limitationns). I have felt need of minor correction on position of other chakras only after I started meditating. I cannot explain it to newbies either, I do not have words for it. Sounds familiar?

Headache - I am not sure if it is merely a temporary heaviness or really something deep to it. For me it vaporised as soon as I started with daily chores, except that I was more pacified than regular meditation.

P.S. I thought Chakra is NOT exactly the nervous system, it is a different plane altogether (happens to run parallel though). Please elaborate if it is otherwise.

Edited by - aditya on Jan 17 2007 11:54:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4372 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aditya,
quote:
1. In past, as soon as I get in meditation, and when I see light and sound together, I would feel a pressure on back of my neck(always). Perhaps concentration moves without me realizing it. Is this familiar to anyone?

Yes, I get this pressure at the back of my neck. As you say, it is close to the 5th chakra but up a bit. where the soft part is at the lower back of the head.
quote:
Headache - I am not sure if it is merely a temporary heaviness or really something deep to it.

I also don't get a headache, but then I don't meditate on it. I think that if I did, I still would not get a headache. I think if I meditated on the centre of my head I may, but not the front, or the back. I'm not about to try and find out though.
quote:
P.S. I thought Chakra is NOT nervous system. It is a different plane altogether (happens to run parallel though). Please elaborate if it is otherwise.

This has been covered quite well in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1728

It's quite long, but it's an entertaining read
quote:

There are quite a few candidates for the centre of consciousness that I have come accross. Some say it is in the centre of the head, some say it is in the heart, some say in the navel. Some say it is in a large cave just behind the heart centre. Others say it is situated two feet above the head. And these are all locations given by Yogis! I don't know what it says in other spiritual traditions. Osho was so certain that the centre of consciousness was in the navel (or rather the point on the spine at the level of the navel), that he said that it did not matter where you concentrate, you will fall down to the navel.
Hope this helps.
Christi
Go to Top of Page

slenten

23 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  8:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
For the past two weeks, I've been directing my meditative energy at my medulla during my sittings for a total 2 1/2 hrs. a day as a possible curative for a cranky gut which may have been caused by too much ecstatic energy.

Placing attention at the Medulla and deeply relaxing with exhalations all the way down to the Muladhara. The after effect is very similar to a mild dose of THC - perhaps Anandamide is being released? I have not experienced headaches or any other unpleasant sensations as a result of this practice.

OM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  01:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi has covered it well especially that last paragraph. Different yoga masters claim different centres.
If you are practicing AYP, your awareness should be on the mantra, not at any specific centre except when doing Solar centering when you pick up the mantra at the solar plexus whenever you find you are off it.
We also have to remember that we are trying to purify our system overall, not just the higher chakras, in a balanced manner. There is a tendency for focus on higher chakras, We are not 'enlightened' only from the heart up. In fact most of our 'troubles' lie in our belly and bum.
They're the centers that need serious work.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  12:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
You only need to read the problems that Gopi Krishna encountered in his life by doing practices that did not agree with his being.It can be dangerous to tinker. Nobody can know for sure what is safe for you but following a steady practice (whatever path you follow)is the safest way. Also in my experience you need guidance and support, too many people think that it is just simply meditating and everything will be fine.
L&L
Dave

Edited by - riptiz on Aug 25 2014 3:27:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000