Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 A bunch of questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2023 :  10:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have several questions concerning the time off the mat:

• Intuition.
    Does AYP have an opinion on intuition? Does the practice have an effect on intuition? Is it advised to increasingly rely on ones intuition/listen to ones heart as one walks the spiritual path?

• Humility.
    I often struggle to be humble, being subject to other's opinion and wanting to shine. Does it help the path to practice humility? Vice versa, does one develop humility by practicing regularly? If yes, can you relate?

• Opinion of other people.
    As mentioned above, the opinion of other people is more important to me than I would like it to be. Does practicing regularly loosen that grip?

• Yamas and niyamas.
    I think I read that AYP does not actively emphasize to practice yamas and niyamas, seeing them more as a result than a cause. I think practicing them can give you ground and direction. Is it not beneficial for ones progress to practices yamas and niyamas?

th1996

Germany
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  08:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

to Intuition: Yes, with the opening of the third eye the intuition gets better and better. See lesson 416: https://www.aypsite.org/416.html

Humility: Yes, I have the feeling to get more humble.

Opinion of others: I think, yes. But in my case it is just a little improvement.

Yamas and niyamas: What do you mean with practising yamas and niyamas? I think, this happens automatically in daily life. So, we do our practises and then going out and live our life. So, there is automaticsally the training of the yamas and niyamas, at least if there is some bhakti!!
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
528 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2023 :  6:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mats, I don't have a formalized answer with the appropriate links but I'll weigh in with my perspective.

The answer to all of your questions is yes, the core AYP practices will help move you in the direction you are seeking. Intuition is a sense of knowing that would fit under the relational self inquiry aspect of AYP from my perspective. This knowingness seems to develop over time as inner silence deepens and becomes abiding. Humility and reducing one's dependence on the opinion of others are natural outgrowths of the inner knowing that comes with the deepening of the witness. Yogani doesn't focus on the Yamas and Niyamas too much as he suggests doing the practices regularly creates a natural movement in the direction these limbs of yoga. I have found, on a personal level, a gradual easing of attachments by trusting in the process and surrendering to the journey. My sense is we are tuning our energetic body to align with a greater energy which gently guides us once we let go of trying to consciously control our thoughts, behaviors and emotions. All of your goals are valuable and your awareness of the destination should guide your journey.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2023 :  01:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
Yogani doesn't focus on the Yamas and Niyamas too much as he suggests doing the practices regularly creates a natural movement in the direction these limbs of yoga. I have found, on a personal level, a gradual easing of attachments by trusting in the process and surrendering to the journey. My sense is we are tuning our energetic body to align with a greater energy which gently guides us once we let go of trying to consciously control our thoughts, behaviors and emotions. All of your goals are valuable and your awareness of the destination should guide your journey.

Yes, this
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  03:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
  • Intuition.
    I think the Yogi's above explained AYPs take perfectly. In my take on the practice effectiveness..Yes..Definitely. I always found Intuition too deep to even grasp why, how and what it really is though. The great question 'who are you' sits there heavy and mysterious.. you know... I'm getting there, wherever there is. This is connected to Samyama for me.

• Humility.
    Yes. Yes. Bittersweet humility. I can relate many well-deserved letting go of all the weird things you can let go of. It gets paradoxical sometimes.--- Letting go of letting go of your shining pride? Yes. Letting go and taking a non-yogic glass of wine anyway? Yes. Letting nobody but the divine intuition let go? Yes.----- Whatever you have up your mind will be subject to this humility. Humility is strongly connected to Inner silence. Note that I'm not promoting to drink, as you probably understand. Im trying to say that the path can get paradoxical depending on your paaast and current circumstances.

• Opinion of other people.
    Yes. BUT I still have a lot of strong opinions about other people popping up. I think all social relations are one of the big mysteries that will take time for me to find out my role in. I frequently say...people are the most diverse thing there ever was.

• Yamas and niyamas.
    I say, try the full scope 'ideals' if you are inclined. I dabble with the rules but have akin to Interpaul found out that practices is the most revered and sufficient ground I can stand on until everything just falls in place. Which is prefered to what I mentioned above under Humility..I was hinting at the contradictory Self-inquiry that has challenged me when appraching Yamas and niyamas heads-on. One interesting one is Brahmacaraya that is a hot topic and a slippery slope to many, beware.

• Edited by - Wil on Aug 19 2023 11:21:09 AM
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000