AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 meditation and high IQ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niels Jacob

France
40 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2023 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I've been "diagnosed" an IQ of 158. This means my intellect is mostly taking care of everything in my life, and leads me to a consistent questionning, which brought a lot of suffering to my life. Since I started AYP practices for approx. 2 years it went way better and the constant questionning/mind chatter went down, so I don't suffer it anymore. But this isn't the end of the story..
Meditation arises my counsciousness, but also make me realize that I'm trapped in my mind. Every time I try to get out of my mind, it becomes stronger. The non-duality and the sensation of unity are for the moment just concepts that seems unable to reach as long as my mind won't enable it. It's like my whole life i've been carrying a heavy bag with me which I really want to get rid of, but don't know how. It also influences my eating habits: My body constantly wants food to feed my brain which is strongly sucking up energy (these are just suppositions).
In despite of all that, I reached one time a beautiful kundalini awakening experience, which make me think that things are running well for me anyway, so it keeps me hoping.
Is anyone in the same state as I am ? Bless everyone, Niels

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2023 :  7:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Niels, I haven't had my IQ formally tested but I don't think I can join your ranks. I believe you have some key insight into how your intellect can be a trap. It does seem these practices require a concerted effort to develop the non thinking mind, inner silence/the witness. I believe the IQ is closely linked with the prefrontal cortex function. I recall reading of fMRI studies showing this part of the brain becomes less active during deep meditation. I initially came to AYP with concern about using a mantra to meditate as I sensed the goal of meditation is to not "think". I've coming to appreciate the mantra is a tool to give the intellect something to do while giving the brain a chance to rest and go deeper. I believe we can use our intellect to create structures to support our practice.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2023 :  12:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As you progress, gaining inner silence, we better witness thoughts as they scroll by, we acknowledge them and let it dissolve, and lean into emptiness. Once your sense of silence is deep, you open that bag of heaviness there, and let it dissolve, and be with whatever reveals. The same goes with acknowledging your eating habits, and questioning the notion of being trapped. Having a high IQ is not required.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000