Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Kidney pain, self pacing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avocado

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2022 :  6:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends, I could use some guidance.

I have been having several health issues. The most significant symptom includes kidney pain. Most mornings, I wake up with pain / soreness in kidney area, on both sides. It seems to go away after a few hours after getting up and drinking water, but also may be getting worse. I also have occasional groin pain / slight burning. And sometimes joint pain in wrist. These symptoms have been prevalent for the greater part of a year now. But i have been struggle with health issues and a messed up gut my whole life and have been trying to heal my body through yoga for 8-9 years now. I am 34.

I went to a medical doctor who did not seem to find anything. Bloodwork was normal, but I dont have much confidence in western medicine. Part of my poor health state has been caused by western intervention.

I went to my Ayurvedic practitioner who said that the cause of this was my AYP practices. Specifically, he said the bramacharya and retention of semen, especially holding back after arrousal, was creating too much energy for my nervous system to handle. He warned that many of the practices I was doing should be done under the supervision of a Guru.

Though I have been trying to be prudent about self-pacing, it hadn’t occurred to me that this might be a self-pacing issue. I feel pretty good in my daily life energetically, other than my physical health issues, which I have struggled with long before I ever started AYP.

Could my kidney pain be an issue of self-pacing? If so, what aspects of my practice should I try to scale back without throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Currently, I practice:

* Tantra / Semen retention. I have not ejaculated for 2 months, and have only reached organism a handful of times within the last 6-12 months, all of which were held in using the blocking method. I haven’t been sexually active for a few weeks but my kidneys still hurt. Is semen retention, edging, or blocking too hard on my kidneys? Or could that be causing some type of infection? Should I deliberately release my semen? I dont wish to release as I enjoy the energy and clarity I seem to have gained, and feel quite drained after I orgasm. I am 34 years old but have always had low libido / lower testosterone. For the first time in my life i seem to have “normal” sexual function.
* Amroli. Could this also be hurting my kidneys? I practice every morning. 1/2 cup mixed with water. I drink this with neem and turmeric.
* AYP, have been slowing building up over the past 3 years.
* 10 min SBP
* 2 min Jalandhara
* 2 min Spinal bastrika
* 20 min DM (2nd enhancement)
* 10 min Samyama
* 5 min rest

My health is very important to me, my Body is one of my Gurus. I am trying to listen to it, but it is so hard to translate its language. AYP seems to have helped me a great deal but now I question it. I want to heal myself, and with what I have left help others to heal. Problem is I’m not so good at healing myself. Any thoughts, wisdom, guidance, much appreciated.

With Gratitude,
AVO

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2022 :  11:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Avocado,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having. It does sound as if you need to self-pace your practice, and this would be in line with the AYP guidelines on self-pacing. If we are experiencing discomfort, or pain, then we self-pace our practice downwards and increase grounding practices at the same time.

In terms of what to self-pace, the first thing I would suggest would be your tantric practices. I would suggest releasing once in a while, maybe once or twice a week, at least until things settle down. And not engaging in any prolonged tantric sexual practices.

In addition to that, I would suggest stopping amaroli, as this is related to Tantrik sexual practices, and cutting out the two advanced pranayamas from your practice.

If things do not settle down after a few days, I would suggest cutting back on your Spinal Breathing Pranayama timing and Deep Meditation timing, maybe to 5 minutes and 15 minutes respectively. If things still don't settle down, then you will need to cut back further.

For grounding practices, see lesson 69.

This is a short quote from lesson addition T5.2

"Forced celibacy is not a viable solution for most men, leading to distortions in health and conduct instead. So what to do? First of all, it is not a disaster if we release every now and then (once or so per week is not unreasonable), if it helps to bring our energies back into balance. No need to be walking around in discomfort all the time." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

avocado

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2022 :  8:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi for the guidance #128591;

I have scaled back my practice as you have suggested, and will see how it goes.
When I do release (reach orgasm), do you suggest I still practice the hold back method or should I abstain from this too? In the past I have felt a pretty big energy loss after ejaculation and also am much more obsessive about sex when I orgasm regularly. I will do my best to manage this if it comes up again.

It is difficult for me to differentiate energetic / kundalini symptoms from legitimate health issues that need other intervention (or acceptance). Or are all health issues related to kundalini?

I have had moderate health issues my whole life (well before I started AYP). Gout, arthritis, inflammation in the gut, sinus issues, allergies. Much of them have improved after changing my diet and lifestyle. I cant eat out at restaurants and haven’t for years, eating very simple organic home cooked meals. I still get flares periodically but I manage them by fasting. I am young-ish (34). Would be nice to heal some more so I can live a more “normal” lifestyle but I suppose I have no choice but to do the best I can.

Thanks for the helps! With Gratitude, Avo
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2022 :  9:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Avocado,

You have to find a balance that will work for you. So, for some men, occasional orgasm with blocking will provide enough of a balance. Others will need to release once-in-a-while, meaning orgasm with ejaculation and no blocking, even if this means temporarily losing energy. Finding a balanced practice is more important than anything else, as this leads to the fastest progress over the long term.

Most health issues are not related to kundalini. Most are simply arising due to conditions in the physical body or mind. Kundalini related health issues are still quite rare in the world.

And yes, it is difficult sometimes to tell the difference between something arising due to practice and something that is simply a health issue that would have happened anyway. One way of telling, is that issues arising due to spiritual practice, usually clear up fairly fast, with effective self-pacing and grounding. But, always get checked out by a physical health care provider, just in case.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

avocado

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2022 :  7:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Finding a balanced practice is more important than anything else" I will take this with me. Thanks again Christi!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000