Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 siddhasana and pinched nerve?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2022 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A more mundane question today. I've been practicing siddhasana for over 3 years now. I've gotten used to tucking my left foot as the preferred foot. My right foot sits slightly tucked under my shin/calf. In the last month or so I've noticed a significant nerve irritation over the left outside knee area centered on the skin over the bony prominene of the tibia. It's not a shooting pain but hurts if I kneel down on the area, as often I do when doing cat/cow pose. I can avoid pain by carefully placing the pressure more on the knee cap than lower down. I've recently been wondering if this is caused by years of holding this position for 40minutes at a time. I've recently switched to the other leg but find that is creating its own set of problems as the right knee and hip are not as flexible. There is no discomfort while sitting in siddhasana. I realize I could replace the heel with a ball but am hoping to continue doing this practice with some modifications if poossible. Switching legs half way through would be distracting during DM. Anyone else experience this and find useful work arounds during the practice or with other stretches after?

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2022 :  04:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a big fan of the perineum ball (old hacks sacks), one at home and one in the car (to meditate while parked). I have three suggestions: maybe a higher cushion/zafu? This will allow more room for the tucked foot. The second would be a perineum ball. The third, sitting in thunderbolt, astride a bolster or pillow. If you truly believe your pain is connected to your meditation seat, you’ll have to experiment and change it up.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2022 :  11:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul and Dogboy,

I can second what Dogboy says. Using a higher cushion would be the first thing I would try in this case. It will change the angle of the hips, and also change the angles of the knees whilst seated. Just changing these angles slightly, can alleviate any issues that are being experienced.

Thundebolt (also called Vajrasana, or the "diamond pose") is a good alternative as Dogboy suggests. This can also be done on a low wooden sitting seat, which creates a raised alternative for the bolster. There is also a variation on seated pigeon which can be used. This does take some getting used to, but can alleviate any knee issue very quickly. To get into this position, start by sitting in siddhasana. Then take the foot you are not placing under your perineum and bring it around the side of your body. If you have never done it before, it will feel strange at first. This has the advantage that you can keep using the same sitting cushion as now, and keep using your heel at the perineum.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2022 :  1:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

You are doing the right thing to make any adjustment needed to allow for a comfortable pose in deep meditation. Another option might be to go back to a sitting cross-legged position, in which you could support your legs with pillows if that helps. Tibetans often meditate with one knee up, and the other one tucked under. Even meditating with the legs stretched on the bed is an option if this is the only way to get comfortable right now. Going deep inside is more important than any particular pose. Keeping the back straight is more important than the position of the legs.

Something has shifted for you, and probably things will shift again, so siddhasana may become easily available at some point. It might take months or years, so be easy with this practice.

All the best.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  01:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, Thanks, I am going to try a few different types of balls to see if they do the job.
Christi, Thanks for your suggestions too. It seems the strain seems directly related to the pull on the nerve in the knee on the leg that is tucked under the perineum. I can't see how moving the other leg will reduce the pull in the nerve in the leg that is already in a hyperflexed position. If I'm missing something here let me know. Vajrasana may be a challenge given arthritis in my big toe.
Blanche, When you say something has shifted, I'm not 100% sure. It feels like I may be dealing with the consequences of sitting in this pose for 40 minutes for a very long time and not paying attention to the impact it was having on my knee until recently.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

quote:
Christi, Thanks for your suggestions too. It seems the strain seems directly related to the pull on the nerve in the knee on the leg that is tucked under the perineum. I can't see how moving the other leg will reduce the pull in the nerve in the leg that is already in a hyperflexed position. If I'm missing something here let me know.

You would just switch legs. It does not take long to get used to using the other foot.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2022 :  7:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thanks. I tried a spoongy ball yesterday and that worked surprisingly well. Given my right foot goes numb when I switch to it, it might make sense to just use the ball. Might help to review proper bolsters etc at an in person retreat some day as it is hard to know where I am going wrong(as I've tried many variations with various pillows and supports and eventually still developed this nerve irritation)
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2022 :  09:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

Yes, if a ball works, then that is an easy solution. Personally, I know I would always forget it, whenever I go anywhere, which is why I have always tried to use my heel. I can't forget that!

And yes, a good teacher would be able to show you various options for sitting positions, blocks, cushions, bolsters, wooden low seats etc. It can be easier to show, than to explain using words!

In December I will be filming an "Introduction to AYP Video Course" which will include instructions for Building up a daily practice using Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama. I will film one video discussing this topic, and demonstrating different sitting options. I will make that video public and put a link here.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2022 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

Understanding has layers, and it helps to look at a problem from different perspectives.

The lower part of the legs is related to swadhisthana, the sexual chakra, expressed as pleasure, gratification, and vitality. When this energy is blocked or unbalanced, it is expressed as guilt and shame. Do you see how this may be relevant? Has something change? It can be physical, emotional, or mental.

Having a good level of vitality is essential for spiritual progress. At the same time, there has to be sufficient balance and purification to allow progress.

The fact that you sit for long periods in one position does not necessary mean that there should be wear-and-tear on your body. Catatonic patients can easily hold a position (such as hold an arm up in the air) for hours, without any physical problem. This may be a mind game, and it may express as a physical symptom.

Sitting in meditation is also different than just sitting. When the mind is quiet, the body is quiet. I can easily sit just doing practices, but I am not sure I can just sit in siddhasana for a long time otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2022 :  01:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Looking forward to viewing your video course. thank you in advance.

Blanche, You bring up an interesting perspective. I do sense an easing of my shame feelings around pleasure. Given the pin point localization of the pain that can be reproduced by direct pressure I think it likely is a pre-patellar bursitis. I don't recall an injury so I wonder if the tight position the knee is stretched into in siddhasana may have contributed some to the irritation. When I first started siddhasana I had a lot of numbness of the foot. At first I just ignored it figuring it would ease with time. I eventually played around with various cushions to relieve pressure and found meditation easier without a numb foot after. The pain in the knee is different as it doesn't hurt after meditation, just when I kneel down. Still not sure what role mediation plays but I'm going to use the ball for awhile as it definitely exerts less strain on the knee. Thanks for giving me a different framing to consider.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000