Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Recommendations asanas and pranayama long covid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cedric

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2022 :  05:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I teach meditation and Yoga. I am putting together a yoga class for covid long haulers. Do any of you know of specific asanas and pranayamas that would be particularly beneficial for people suffering with long covid?
Also interested in resource recommendations or recommendations in terms of yoga teachers to consult with.
Thank you all.
Cedric

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2023 :  12:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my Iyengar class we have had a mixed attendance - never-Covic, Long-Covid sufferers, and those lucky inough t have had the desease and recovered from it fairly "cleanly" (this mostly inludes me and my wife). The instructor is using the options available to him within the adaptation philosophy of the Iyengar practice. We may limit the duration of balance or standing pose, how long partial inversions such as Downward-facing Dog are held or how deeply we (or on uncomfortable participant) bends. The advice is always "eo teh best you can, but don't overdo anything; remain sensitive to your limitations at all times."

At the same time we are encouraged to take the degree of bending you can tolerate, under all conditions. Proper stretching is good for you, but it can be taken too far; ultimately the yogi student has to manage his/her own effort. Same philosophies for lighter inversions, backbends, full inversions, and stretches involving tricky balances. He has removed a few pretzel-twist balances from teh notmal flow, since for some yogis whom are fatigued or have muscle pain, steadiness is reduced due to loss of strength which is necessary for stabilisation in challenging balance poses. I suppose you might see if there is any dialogue on this among the RYT or Certified Iyengar communities. Perhaps some ballet or gymnastics teachers or trainers may also have some ideas.

I'm not a teacher, though occasionaly I've been asked to share pointers or model an aspect of an asana.I may have shown added to my practice. Most of what is done iwhat we have usualy done, except David (the teacher) is certainly more diligent about cautioning about balance, using props on your sides and extra blankets or the wrestling mats as additional fall protection. Our ages range from 13 to 74, so we could have a student who may show compromised balance performance, at any time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000