Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Distracting visuals during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

optic

Poland
3 Posts

Posted - May 15 2022 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've an issue with my practice. With my eyes closed, mind very quickly creates visual stories that suck attention in and the meditation goes downhill, I'm not really aware, but watching and reacting to a weird mental movie. Thoughts and emotions I can deal with easily, they arise and pass no problem, but this visual trance is something I struggle with.

I tried mentally drawing shapes over the ongoing visual scenery and focusing on them - something simple like a circle, or a figure eight and it kind of works, but there's still this focus on eye-space, I feel dissociated from body sensations.

Any ideas how can I deal with it? I noticed touch sensations very quickly turn to visual sensations. Maybe there's a reverse path, visuals to touch? I experimented with it and had some tingles near the edges of my eye sockets, but it's hardly stable.

Any ideas welcome :)

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Optic,

If you notice visuals appearing during meditation, that is fine. It is a normal experience in meditation. If you find that you are off the mantra and into the visuals, then simply favour the mantra again, over anything else going on. So, simply treat visuals as thoughts. The same goes for emotions, or anything else arising in the mind. If what is happening is so distracting that you cannot favour the mantra, then you can easily rest your attention with the experience, until you are able to return to the mantra again. This is discussed in these lessons:

From lesson 13

"Once you have gotten comfortable, slowly close your eyes. You will notice thoughts, streams of thoughts. That is fine. Just observe them without minding them. After about a minute, gently introduce the thought ...I AM... and begin to repeat it easily and effortlessly in your mind. If your mind wanders off into other thoughts, you will eventually realize this has happened. Don't be concerned about it. It is natural. When you realize you are not repeating the mantra, gently go back to it. This is all you have to do." [Yogani]

and from lesson 15 on what to do if the experience is too distracting to return to the mantra:

"...Just be with it for a while. Usually, this will dissolve the discomfort naturally. Once it does, go back to the mantra and continue your meditation until your time is up. Count the time you spent with your attention on the physical discomfort as part of your meditation time. If the sensation does not dissolve, lie down for while, until the sensation subsides. It is a good thing. A big obstruction is going. Let it go easily, naturally. The same procedure applies if you are overcome with a barrage of overbearing thoughts, which may or may not be accompanied by physical sensations. If you can't easily go back to the mantra, just be with the thoughts until they dissipate enough so you can easily pick up the mantra again." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000