Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Diet in ayurveda and TCM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2021 :  1:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ayurveda and TCM both are broad hollistic healthcare approaches. I am curious about their dietary guidelines. They seem to be both different and similar. Has anyone experience regarding their effectiveness reducing health issues? Is one to be preferred over the other?

lightandlove

Germany
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2021 :  8:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

I always found inspiration in Ayurveda and TCM, mainly Ayurveda as this was always present in my research on yoga. I think it can be very helpful to dive into some books if you want to learn about your body and diet in a way helpful for your practice. I‘m not in any way against western scientific views as a scientist myself, but regarding practical understanding of myself I found ayurveda and tcm way more helpful to find a balanced diet and body as this is a very individual thing.

I found both schools to be similar but ayurveda fits better into indian yogic philosophy whereas TCM is more a Qi Gong thing (different elements and other vocabulary).
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2022 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your thoughts, lightandlove. I dived into an ayurveda book parvati9 from the forum has recommended. Today I got an appointment with an ayurveda practitioner and found myself understood since we had time and covered different health aspects and issues from my medical history. I think I will start and gradually change my diet respecting aryuvedic principles and see what else might become helpful or necessary.

TCM still holds many interesting aspects as well, but Aryuveda is my first step for now since I feel more drawn to it. I guess I will read some more books on the matter to get a general map.

Go to Top of Page

Nancinudillo

Mexico
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2023 :  11:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancinudillo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Both Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) are traditional medicine systems that approach health in a holistic way, including diet as one of the key components. Although they share some similarities, they also have differences in their dietary approaches.

In Ayurveda, each person is considered to have a unique constitution called a dosha (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) and a specific diet is recommended to balance the individual doshas. The Ayurvedic diet is based on natural, fresh, and unprocessed foods, and emphasizes a balance between the six tastes: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent, and astringent. The qualities of food, such as its temperature, digestibility and effect on the body, are also taken into account.

On the other hand, Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on the concept of the balance of Yin and Yang and the harmonious flow of Qi (vital energy) in the body. In TCM, foods are classified based on their energetic qualities and their effect on the organs and systems of the body. The balance of the five flavors is sought: sweet, salty, sour, bitter and spicy. In addition, attention is paid to the thermal properties of foods, such as cold, cool, neutral, warm, and hot, and how they interact with the organs and energy balance of the body.

In terms of effectiveness in reducing health problems, both Ayurveda and TCM have shown benefits in various disorders and health conditions. However, it is important to note that the scientific evidence to support these traditional medicine systems may be limited compared to conventional Western medicine.

The choice between Ayurveda and TCM depends on your personal preferences, individual needs, and the availability of professionals trained in each system. Some people find benefits in combining aspects of both systems, while others may be more inclined towards one or the other. If you are considering using any of these approaches, it is important to seek the guidance of qualified professionals and to take into account your individual health, medical conditions, and possible interactions with other treatments or medications.

Remember that it is always advisable to speak with a doctor or healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet or medical treatment, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000