Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Zen Teachings of Huang Po
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2021 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Anyone read The Zen Teachings of Huang Po on Transmission of Mind?

It is a fascinating book but so harsh an approach to Enlightenment that it is very hard to understand - it is good at making you throw away everything you think you know. But leaves you in the confused state of "then what do I know?"

Sey

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2021 :  11:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Sey,

I was curious so decided to pick this up. After finishing I'm still not quite sure what to think...it's definitely some tough material to digest! The parallels to Taoism stood out to me, and I was pleased that the translator mentioned this as well. However, I had the same trouble with this text as I do with Buddhist texts in general, which is that, despite their goal of loosening one's intellectual grip of reality, it's ironically heady and dry in its approach. The intellect kills the intellect, like the sword kills the sword. Fine...but like you mention, what do I know now?

I also can't help but recall this joke by the late comedian Mitch Hedberg: "I saw a commercial on late night TV, it said, 'Forget everything you know about slipcovers.' So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were."

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2021 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000