Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Asana Swim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 19 2021 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Now fully vaccinated, and currently blessed with a lot of time on my hands, I signed up the family for membership to our local YMCA. The 2020 yoga studio I attended many years unfortunately did not survive the pandemic. The Y has a sampling (Yin, Gentle, Ashtunga, Power Hot, and Vinyasa Flow) but the biggest yoga kick I get now is Adult Open Swim, where I float in the deep end with two “noodles” (styrofoam worms). The pool is largely empty the times I go. By manipulating the noodles, under the arms, behind the knees, between the legs, held out at arms length, standing on one underwater, I have a whole range of asanas available, and my head stays above water. Of course there is Boat Pose, Frog, Fish, and Starfish, but also all the Mountains, and Goddesses, and Chairs. There is twisting, and running in place and the breath falls into cadence, a moving meditation.

Ecstatic conductivity rages, but I am enveloped, and grounded, and safe ( not to mention Pisces). And when I float there it’s as if the silence is syrupy, I am in it and of it, I am it.

Edited by - Dogboy on May 20 2021 07:54:53 AM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  02:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy
Why don't you do swimming laps? it is extremely grounding and deep silence triggering

Edited by - maheswari on May 20 2021 02:14:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  08:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I could, and agree regarding the grounding of water, but like jogging, doing the same motion over and over is less desirable than “mixing it up”. Also, by keeping my head above water, I am more aware of my surroundings and able to adjust my distance from others nearby.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  12:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
you are the optimum of joy and comedy i can only imagine speedos and some guy doing strange aquatic movements that may some day become either an olympic sport or practice that only a few dedicated enlightened beings take up, bravo to the ministry of silly asanas,bravo to the path of intuition and spontaneity
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  1:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, I will join Kumar in acknowledging your joyful explorations. I can hear Yogani giving his usual cautionary notes on not being able to predict outcomes when diverging from the teachings but knowing your level of awareness and experience I see this as a possible evolutionary exploration. This reminds me a little of my early Iyengar yoga practices. I was always struck by how odd it was to use so many props but now realize it was a deeper dive into simple poses for individuals trying to explore the boundaries more. You have spoken often of the bliss you experience in Asanas. I wish you infinite bliss and hope your joy radiates out into the YMCA and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 20 2021 :  6:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kumar and Interpaul:
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 21 2021 :  01:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like so much fun!

@Maheswari - Laps? Really?

Sey
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 21 2021 :  03:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Sey
The best swimming laps would be in...Seychelles

Edited by - maheswari on May 21 2021 03:32:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 21 2021 :  07:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hello Sey
The best swimming laps would be in...Seychelles

I have heard this too about Seychelles . One of the biggest joys discovered this past year is bringing yoga outside my home, and I am at that stage of life that has little regard of how it looks to others or reflects on me (much to the chagrin of my teenage daughter). The more public displays of yoga, the more typical it becomes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000