Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Alternative to planking, cobra, in yoga-exercise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marcus1968

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2021 :  06:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, A rollerblading accident - where I fell on my left shoulder - can make my shoulder feel painful, when I do planking, push-ups, or the cobra. The light version, from my knees, also puts stress on my shoulder.
Incidentally, that accident was 15 years ago.

Does anyone have any tips (video, or images?), What I can do as an alternative in a yoga exercise?

Or what question should I ask my physiotherapist; That with a different body posture, I just as well get the full benefit of the exercise?

Allready, thanks for the replies. Have a nice day!

Edited by - AYPforum on Mar 08 2021 03:35:57 AM

Marcus1968

Netherlands
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2021 :  11:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
... Am I correct that in order to benefit from the manipura chakra (*), I mainly have to train the abdominal muscles?

(*) I have the impression that the cobra and planking are mainly the manipura.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2021 :  03:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2021 :  09:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcus,

Sorry to hear about the accident you had with your shoulder. When it comes to rebuilding your shoulder, it is best to take advice from your physiotherapist.

In terms of yoga asanas, there are many asanas which have an effect on purifying the manipura chakra. These would include bow (dhanurasana), locust (salabhasana), peacock (mayurasana), half spinal twist (ardha matsyendrasana) and wheel (chakrasana). However, your shoulder injury may make it difficult to do some, or all of these.

Standing uddiyana bandha (abdominal lift) is an asana that has a powerful effect on the manipura chakra, and that should not be effected by your injury. This is part of both the AYP asana starter sequence and the enhanced AYP asana sequence. It is described here on the AYP Plus site. It can be seen being demonstrated by some of the AYP teachers in the videos on this page of the AYP Plus site:

Addition 383.4 - Videos: Enhanced AYP Asana Routine

Most of the asanas I mentioned above are also demonstrated in those videos.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

alain

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2021 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcus,

When it comes to asanas you are your own judge, you have to choose your own asanas. Not one asana is essential, there is almost always an alternative. For activation of the manipura chakra full yogic breathing is probably the most gentle exercice. You can also add Uddiyana Bandha (abdominal lock).

Patanjali recognize individualism in asanas, actually he doesn't say much about asanas, in sutra 2.46 he said: "Sthiram Sukham Asanam" and the meaning is different based on your degree of progression.

For a beginner it means "nice and easy postures", so make sure you are comfortable and avoid pain, that is the best way to progress without quitting after a few classes. For the more advanced student it means support and freedom. As you grow stronger and more flexible the first definition still stands "nice and easy", but also you become conscious of the support brought by the bones, muscles, tendons and the breath. To this is added freedom, here freedom means that Prana is free to flow from and to any directions.

Prana will not flow if you are in too much pain and discomfort.

As you see you are free to make your own choices. Yoga can work for everyone regardless of disabilities.

The guru is in you

alain
Go to Top of Page

Gustavo Woltmann

Italy
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  12:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Alain, all asanas have alternatives. Make sure you are comfortable and change over time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000