Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is there a yoga practice for Anxiety Disorder?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  04:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I took up Hatha yoga to treat a lower back injury in June 2017 and instantly fell in love with it.

That being said I have a problem. About four weeks ago I had a large anxiety episode that hit me out of the blue. it was illogical and irrational but I couldn't shake it and the anxiety has lingered and has started to affect my daily life in that I feel anxious every day. A doctor's appointment is pending. I have suffered from depression in the past but felt over it and had no noticeable anxiety symptoms or triggers recently. This feeling just came out of nowhere.

I have read that yoga can help with anxiety but recently I have actually started to feel more anxious during yoga as I am obviously more relaxed and open than normal and in one class I even had to leave the room. I don't want to stop doing yoga and I would prefer to stay away from medication, so my question is how can I use yoga to manage or reduce my anxiety long term without fearing it will make it worse even before I arrive on my mat?

zamolxes

Romania
93 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  08:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jclone,

The thing you are looking for is meditation, since with it you release the anxiety into silence, and create an inner space in which you become bigger than the anxiety. With time you will come to dissolve all of these disorders, understand why they appear in relationship with yourself.

I really encourage you to start the lessons available on the site, and with time you will get to overcome it. The pyshical aspect pf yoga is healthy and good, but its essence lies deeper, once you get there every aspect of it begins to bloom.

I hope you manage to overcome it, because in my opinion a meditation session a day keeps all doctors away haha.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  10:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jclone
Is there enough rest lying on the back after the hatha yoga session?
Also you can add physical exercises like fast walking, jogging, swimming....these will help
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2021 :  1:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jclone, When I started AYP I pushed into the practices pretty quickly and experienced my first panic attack of my life. In retrospect it came from doing too many of the energizing practices. The deep meditation is certainly the way to go in terms of developing the inner stillness and calm mindset. Spinal breathing pranaymaa, siddhasana, mulabhanda etc. can all rev things up and generate anxiety if you don't have the inner silence from a stable meditation practice. The concept of self pacing is also very important in AYP as these practices are done without an onsite teacher (i.e. the guru is in you). I wasn't clear from your post if your practices are strictly limited to Asanas.
Go to Top of Page

jclone

United Arab Emirates
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2021 :  04:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your reply guys. Knowledgeable as always. I was at my GP (doctor) last time and it turns out my blood pressure is a bit elevated, so a course of low mg medication and blood tests was prescribed. Is it ok to practise Yin with slightly high BP and if so which positions are beneficial?

@maheswari I think I have a lot to learn the proper way of hatha yoga, and I'll be sure to keep your advice in practice. :)
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can concur re over pushing in Hatha Yoga with overly stimulating postures,.I find generally Iyengar depending who teaches can be a bit like that.

Edited by - snake on Mar 17 2021 02:50:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  4:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember energy follows your attention, especially during ecstatic conductivity, and energy also follows the breath, so nipping anxiety in the bud with attention on slow, measured breaths instead should help an episode, perhaps even contribute to lowering blood pressure. Asana wise, I would favor a yin and restorative approach, less flows and longer holding of poses, and a liberal use of props to assist.
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  02:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree withDogboy,yin yoga definitely I found better suited to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000