Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra and breath synchronization
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluewhale

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2020 :  3:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, When I do DM I notice that I break "I AM" mantra into two parts - Chanting I part while inhaling and a long AM part while slowly exhaling. Per the instructions one should not synchronize the breathing with the specific parts of the mantra but it seems natural to me and I am able to do the meditation better when I do it this way. I read that if one synchronizes the mantra to breathing then the issue of chanting might arise during breathlessness. But since it is occurring naturally I was not sure whether I should correct the mistake or continue as see how it evolves. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  12:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Bluewhale,

Yes, I think in this case you should correct the mistake because though seemingly natural to you, it is way off the procedure. The mantra is not chanted, it is thought of as one word "AYAM" and repeated as such. The measure of a "good" meditation session is in your daily life not during the sitting.

Good luck in your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  05:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bluewhale,

Welcome to the forums!

The advice given is not to make any deliberate effort to synchronise the mantra with the breath, and also not to make any deliberate effort not to. If you notice that the mantra is synchronising with the breath, then that is treated as any other thought arising in the mind, and to favour the mantra with your attention instead.

See here:

"We do not make an effort to slow the breath while we are meditating. Neither do we deliberately synchronize the mantra with the breath. If it happens inadvertently, it is okay, but we do not favor it. We just leave the breath to do naturally what it will in deep meditation." [Yogani]

From here

The same would be true if the mantra is synchronising with the heart beat or any of the other rythmic energetic cycles in the body.

The advice on experimenting with changing techniques is not to do so until you have become well established with the existing system and then to only do so if you are able to feel the inner energy currents. This would then be your experimentation as the results could not be predicted. It would then become a different technique (not Deep Meditation any more). See lesson 384 on this.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

bluewhale

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2020 :  10:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SeySorciere and Christi for the helpful feedback. I will correct my mistake.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2020 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Having changed mantras, I would advise to “correct your mistake” gently.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000