Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 The big picture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am now about 9 months into my AYP explorations. This was proceeded by explorations in Taoist meditations. I've been wondering lately what connects the practice of SBP/DM with the final goal "enlightenment". As I understand it we are channeling our sexual energies and, to use Taoist terminology, transmuting the sexual energy into spiritual energy. Having practiced bramacharya now for a couple years I understand the power of unexpressed libidinal energy. Doing SBP I can feel how it focuses the mind and intensifies arousal in my body and mind. DM is now creating a greater stillness inside me and I am slowly becoming more aware of a knowingness of how to proceed in some areas of my life. What I was pondering this morning on the way to work is whether there is some other ingredient I am missing. My simplistic/mechanistic interpretation of the current practices are to take sexual energy and channel it into focus, alertness and energy to act in a loving way in my other 15 hours (1 hour of AYP and 8 hours of sleep) in the world.

I started samyama a couple months ago and appreciate how that practice is a letting go of control and putting an intention out there with a trust in a deeper guiding force. I suspect inquiry is a part of the next phase but I have not made it that far in the teachings as self pacing would dictate the prudence of not rushing ahead in the lessons. Am I missing something here?Do I just "do the practices" and trust that the rest will just follow spontaneously?

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  12:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Interpaul,

Yes, you just do the practices and let the rest take care of itself and it will take care of itself very nicely. Samyama does a fantastic job of bring Inner Silence into your daily action - Stillness in Action. That is what it is all about.
You are right that self-inquiry fits into it somewhere. It is the end stage. But best to have the solid presence of the Witness before you start deciding whether you would wish to engage in some formal self-inquiry techniques or let it develop naturally. I have gone the natural way. With the emergence of the Witness (this steadfast core of Silence within) there is a gradual shift of self identification from the ego-self to the Witness. You perceive yourself to be That. The quality of the Witness (aka Pure Bliss Consciousness) will evolve over the years. You will be able to easily differentiate /discriminate what is "I" and what is not "I". And you will naturally start abiding in That. This is what connects the practices with enlightenment.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  1:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey, Thank you. I am realizing there is a certain amount of faith or trust one needs to have after committing to over an hour every day to practices with the hope of some type of pay off at the end. Kind of reminds me of the guy who is searching for his lost keys under a street lamp. A woman walks up to him and asks what he is doing. He says he's looking for his keys. The woman asks him where he last remembers seeing the keys. He points to a place over in the dark and the woman asks him why he is looking under the street lamp. He tells her "because it is easier to see over here". To translate this into my fear (lack of faith/trust) I wonder if these practices just feel good (they are under the street lamp). Having had some early silent witness type experiences I am starting to believe in the practice some. I certainly believe in the power of the practices to increase my energy levels, that is without question as it is an experience I've had. "Enlightenment" is still mostly a concept/aspiration for me at this point. I do find it funny the AYP path to enlightenment is lined with ecstatic bliss. There are certainly a lot less fun paths to enlightenment. I think if Yogani taught in a building down the street and you, Dogboy, Christi and others on this forum attending the regular meetings, I would probably have more faith in the process. Since it is just me sitting on my cushion following words on a screen I get nervous at times. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will keep at it and trust in the process.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

There are regular AYP retreats happening in the USA and other countries around the world. It is very beneficial to get together to practice with other practitioners if you can.

The retreats listing is here.

The next retreat in the USA will take place in Connecticut in May and there are regular retreats taking place now in Florida.

Yogani does not attend them, as he wishes to keep his anonymity, but there are many other experienced AYP practitioners who do. When we practice together, the energy in the room becomes amplified.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  3:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear interpaul,

your doubts will eventually be revealed as what they are as your presence in pure conciousness strenghtens. Then you'll see them as thoughts and no more than that. They then come and go without much meaning or actions tied to them. At some point they stop coming at all. When I first started out this whole "meditation-thing" I experienced doubts for months if not for years. The practice of meditation will eventually uncolor our perception of thoughts and and the habit of overthinking will cease.

Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  5:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Thanks. I have seen listings but haven't had the time to attend as I live on the West Coast. I do plan on attending at some point as I would expect being around like minded people will likely go a long way in reducing my anxiety.

Stille, I want to trust you, Christi, Yogani, Dogboy, and Sey on this stuff. It IS helpful to share my concerns and hear reassuring words. Ultimately I have accepted this path is an experiential path and I will only be able to know the truth from the practice. I see so many posts from people who have overdone it with the practices and struggle. Having experienced many ecstatic experiences already I am a fan of the power of the practices, I just want to be thoughtful of the potential trappings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000