Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Attention, Intention and sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  09:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All. Reidmantra here. I have a few questions about the sutras. When we practice each of the 9 sutras, what is the role of attention, intention, and desire? How do they all come together and unify in the actual practice of Samyama? For example, according to Yogani, the lightness sutra is supposed to be for `lightness of the body and passage through the skies' When I practice this sutra, what should I put my attention on? What should my desire be? If the desire or intention is to have the experience of lightness or spaciousness in the body, should/can I hold that desire gently and easily for the whole 5 minutes of practice? Thank you for any wisdom that you can provide me.

Ps. Your responses to me may generate new questions or questions for further clarification so I ask for your kindness and patience. - Reidmantra

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  11:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When we practice each of the 9 sutras, what is the role of attention, intention, and desire? How do they all come together and unify in the actual practice of Samyama?

A great inquiry, I consider this often. I associate Radience with samyama, because the practice has an outward movement. Inner guru uses attention/intention interchangeably and Conductivity fuels yoga desire non stop in this reporter. My advice for Lightness, desire to surrender any preconceptions. Yes, hold spaciousness gently, acknowledge it, and desire to let that go. You may even feel it pass away.

Attention/intention is used to notice what to hold gently in the first place.

Hope we get more responses and viewpoints!

Edited by - Dogboy on Jan 30 2020 11:13:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy. Thank you for responding so quickly. When you say hold spaciousness gently, do you mean the (knowledge) that the body is really just empty space or the (feeling) of spaciousness? Being cerebral, I have an incredibly hard time creating/doctoring up a feeling of this, or a feeling of that. Secondly, after acknowledging spaciousness how long can or should I hold it before desiring to let it go. And once I do let it go for the 15 seconds, do I repeat that process every fifteen seconds for 5 minutes? Thank you for any further clarification. - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  2:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

If in doubt about a particular practice, it is always good to go back to the lessons and check the instructions. This is the description of using the sutra "love" from lesson 150:

"In your easy silence, pick up, just once, the fuzziest feeling of the word "Love" in your own language. Don't deliberately make a clear pronunciation, or mental images of this or that scene or situation that represent Love to you. Just have a faint remembrance of Love, and then let go into your silence, the easy silence you are in as you pick up the faint meaning of Love. Don't contemplate Love or analyze it during samyama. Don't think about it at all. Just come to it once in a faint, subtle way, and then let go into silence. It is a subtle feeling of Love we are coming to, nothing more, and letting it go. Like that." [Yogani]

So, with the lightness sutra: "Akasha, lightness of air", we are bringing our attention to the faintest feeling of the sutra and releasing that immediately into silence. If you are not able to connect a feeling with the sutra, then just lightly picking up the sutra itself and releasing that will work, as the meaning of words are contained within the words themselves.

If the term "akasha" is not something you find it easy to relate to, you can replace it with "living inner space".

Once you release the sutra, simply let it go and rest in silence for 15 seconds. Then pick it up again and again let it go and so on, for 5-minutes.

See here from lesson 150:

"Having thought "Love" once, be in silence for about fifteen seconds. If any thoughts come, let them go easily. Don't look at the clock.... Then pick up the faint, fuzzy meaning of "Love" again, and let it go again into your silence for about fifteen seconds again.

That is two repetitions of samyama - twice picking up Love at its subtlest level of thought, and twice letting it go into inner silence." [Yogani]

And here from lesson 151:

"The body as "akasha" (living empty space) is the first step of the two-part lightness sutra. The second part, "lightness of air," moves inner silence, and our akasha-body with it. But it can only happen if we let the sutra go into silence. So it is with all divine manifestation, which includes everything in the cosmos. Everything we see and know emanates from vibrations flowing out from pure bliss consciousness." [Yogani]

When we are in silence (after releasing each sutra), we are not engaging either intention, or desire. These would count as thoughts and are simply released if we notice them arising.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi. That helped me a lot!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  9:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thank you Christi, worth the reread!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, lesson 150:

“ With meditation we are clearing out the obstructions in the subconscious mind and developing a clear awareness of our inner silence. With samyama we are acting directly within our inner silence to produce an outflow of positive effects that purify our nervous system and surroundings in powerful ways.

During samyama maybe we will feel some energy moving out from our silence. It can be experienced as physical, mental or emotional. Or maybe we won't feel much until later in activity, and then we are more loving and compassionate for no obvious external reason. We are changing from the inside. This is what samyama is - moving intentions from the divine level of silence in us out into external manifestation. ”

Simple as that.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2020 :  07:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000