Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Why shouldn't you go to sleep after meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redbushlighter

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2019 :  8:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've heard this before and have been wondering as to why

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2019 :  04:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi redbushlighter,

Some people find that if they meditate before bed, it can interfere with their sleep paterns. They can find themselves waking in the middle of the night, or waking very early the next day.

So, the general advise in AYP is to have a period of activity after meditation and before sleep. This does not happen to everyone though. There were many years where I would meditate late at night and sleep right after without any problems. I had two small children to look after at the time, so I was so tired kost of the time, that nothing would interfere with my sleep!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2019 :  05:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi both

In my experience, there is a small risk of waking up in strange places if you fall asleep right after meditation. No doubt it depends on the stage you're at on the path. There were times when i would wake up feeling groggy after involuntary spells of meditation during the night.

One time I fell asleep in savasana after an evening meditation, I woke up in a 'no me' zone. Couldn't remember my name, where I was etc, complete blank. I sat where i was thinking I'd better not go exploring round the place in case someone else lived in that house and they might be distraught if I couldn't remember them. After a while I picked up a memory from childhood and all the rest came back after that.

No ill effects in the long run, not that i can tell at least, not counting the 'nutty as a fruitcake' comments that I occasionally get
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2019 :  07:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
No ill effects in the long run, not that i can tell at least, not counting the 'nutty as a fruitcake' comments that I occasionally get

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2019 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When we wake up from sleep, there is this gap before the story-of-my-life comes in. It is easier to notice if you do not move immediately after you wake up. Once you see it, the identification with the story-of-my-life starts to diminished, and the need for self-inquiry comes in: "What am I?" "Who am I?"

In the end, probably most of us will have times when we meditate just before bedtime, and each of us has to decide if this affects our sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Hayley

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2019 :  6:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I often meditate and then drift off to sleep and always have some wonderful vivid dreams and wake up feeling energised and refreshed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000