Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Rest period
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amelia047

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  7:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

Does it matter what position you’re lying in for the 10 minute rest period after DM? Should it be flat on the back? I read that somewhere....

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Amelia, welcome to the AYP forum

The rest position is whatever you find comfortable. Lie down if you feel like it, or sit in a comfortable chair. Use pillows, or not, whatever you fancy.

Just bear in mind that it's better not to fall asleep straight after meditation. If getting under your duvet for the 10 minutes rest is likely to make you drift into sleep, then don't do that.

Enjoy your practice

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 20 2019 04:49:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amelia047

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2019 :  8:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, BlueRaincoat!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2019 :  09:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes i snooze after deep meditation a timer for 15 to 20 mins dm then a rest period of 15 mins, this i believe not to be sleep but a point between waking dreaming and sleep activity afterwards i find to be very beneficial not running around but something to engage in normal stuff washing up preparing for the next day ect .my job is very physical and my age is 50 so i am tired after a days work so tiredness does creep in in ,i lie in corspe posture hands turned up ,its takes a little discipline not to fall asleep but its about setting the habit remember nothing is set in stone and even stone wears away eventually ,yoga should start and end in ease ,maybe the state of sattva is a process not a choice either way be gentle .
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  12:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hello Amelia, welcome to the AYP forum

The rest position is whatever you find comfortable. Lie down if you feel like it, or sit in a comfortable chair. Use pillows, or not, whatever you fancy.

Just bear in mind that it's better not to fall asleep straight after meditation. If getting under your duvet for the 10 minutes rest is likely to make you drift into sleep, then don't do that.

Enjoy your practice

Dear Blue, I am not sure this is what Yogani meant when he said - don't go to sleep straight after meditation. I think he meant night sleep. Falling asleep for 15 mins or 1/2 hour during the rest period is good thing, I have always felt. It gives room for very deep purification to go on. I call them black-outs. After the short sleep during rest, then one gets up and goes into activity.

Anyone else care to pitch in with an opinion?

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2019 :  02:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

quote:
Anyone else care to pitch in with an opinion?

I also experienced the black-outs after meditation practice, amongst other experiences, like kriyas for instance. I see the restperiode as an important purification part of the practice, not to go deliberately for a sleep, but if it happens, it is not a problem (my opinion).

Hi Amelia, welcome

quote:
Does it matter what position you’re lying in for the 10 minute rest period after DM? Should it be flat on the back?

Not perse, like BlueRaincoat said. Personally, I mostly lie down on one side during the restperiode, it feels better to me, mostly because of kriyas (automatic yoga movements inside me). After some time it is ok to turn on my back.

Mostly savasana, after the practice of asana, is flat on the back, maybe you read that somewhere. It's what happens in yogaclasses.

Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get sleep after cosmic samyama or if I am tired
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2019 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Yes, at the end of the AYP basic and enhanced asana sequence there is savasana, which is lying flat on the back.

The rest after sitting practices can be in whatever position is comfortable (sitting or lying down) unless you are on retreat or in retreat mode, in which case it should be lying down.

This is from page 82 of the AYP Retreats book:

"When we are on a retreat, the rest period can be longer, 10-15 minutes or more. Resting lying down is how we do it when on retreat. And lying down is also good when we are at home, if possible." [Yogani]

And yes, if you need to sleep, then sleep. There is nothing wrong with that and in fact it is a good sign of inner purification taking place.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Amelia047

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I’m a bit confused now. Christi, so you’re saying that I should lay flat on my back after DM as in Savasana? I’ve been doing this for 4 months. Only DM.

Just curious - is there a physiological reason for laying flat on the back during Savasana?

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2019 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Amelia,

No, the rest period at the end of Deep Meditation can be in any position such as sitting, or lying down on your back, or resting on one side.

Savasana is one of the asanas used at the end of two of the AYP asana sequences, and that is lying flat on the back. But that is not related to the rest period at the end of DM or Samyama.

Sorry if I caused any confusion there...

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000